Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, Dirty Rat said:

I know what you're saying, but they do it for others, so why not Jim?  IF they did away with all birthday salutes, star of the month, then I'm fine with that...but showing at least 1 movie would have been nice!

I agree; TCM should do away with all birthday tributes expect maybe a 100 year one.   (i.e. that star would be 100 today if they were still alive).     Because as you say when TCM does it for some,  it always raises the question of why TCM didn't do it for others. 

Note that Cagney has been Star of the Month twice (and only a handful of stars have 2 or more).  1998 and 2008.  So hang in there,  TCM might have him as STOM in 2019.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 12:03 AM, Dargo said:

I've got a question here.

So, it seems it was the 119th anniversary of Cagney's birthday the other day, and yet TCM failed to honor the guy with a showing of a few of his film, eh?!

And so my question is: Is there some kind'a special significance to a 119th anniversary of ANYTHING that I wasn't previously aware of here???

(...and if there's NOT, then BUCK UP all you here who are ticked off about this whole thing, 'cause MAYBE they'll honor the guy on the anniversary of 120th birthday NEXT year...GEEEZE!!!!!)

No significance it's just another year without a B'day Tribute.  There is no one else born on that day other then Donald Sutherland, Phyllis Diller I guess, so no reason why he's always left out. A movie here and there isn't enough of what he deserves. I'm tired of it and have support on why there isn't a marathon etc of a great actor. I've bucked up for many years and said nothing until now, it's a joke. Look at the montages he's in ONE! But that's for another day.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, LawrenceA said:

Some of his films can also be found on YouTube, including at least two or three of those that TCM has never shown.

But I don't think those complaining are concerned with seeing Cagney's movies as much as having TCM show the "proper respect" by honoring him with his own day/month/time-slot. 

I have all of his movies and no it's not that at all. Forgotten, disrespected yes.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

So what actors \ actress \ directors MUST TCM have a birthday tribute for in order to 'show some respect????

I'm sure you're aware of how many actors \ actress \ directors there were in the so called Golden Era of Hollywood.

If TCM was to have birthday tributes for even 10% of them,  that would mean that most days of programming would be devoted to birthday tributes.    Is this the type of programming you want?

It is silly to say TCM should do that just for stars like Cagney;  Why????  Because while you might to satisfied with just Cagney and a handful of other stars getting what you call 'respect',  there would be thousands of others who would be dissatisfied that TCM didn't honor THEIR stars.

I hope you can see that TCM is in a no-win situation as it relates to birthday tributes. 

No James it's not that at all but once in awhile.

• Like 1
Just now, LeeDonely said:

I have all of his movies and no it's not that at all. Forgotten, disrespected yes.

People have provided concrete evidence that TCM shows Cagney films A LOT (since TCM is very Warner Brother studio focused due to that being a key studio as part of the Turner library of films that started this network).    Isn't that showing respect?  Isn't that remembering him?     Isn't it lot more important that TCM show Cagney films during the either YEAR,  than just one day, that happens to be his birthday?

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, LawrenceA said:

I just go by MovieCollector's database, and it has no showings for Ceiling Zero. However, he does have some small gaps in his schedule history, so it's possible that a showing falls within those.

For Come Fill The Cup it is a royalty issue from the estate of Harlan Ware against WB. The estate won but WB refuses to play the movie.

• Sad 1
On 7/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, cigarjoe said:

What's the Cagney film where either he's a bartender or there are a lot of neighborhood bars in the film, I caught a part of it once but never knew the name of it? I keep it in my mind as the Bar Film, and for some reason I think it takes place in New Jersey, lol.

The Time Of Your Life. Not a bartender but frequents there alot.

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

People have provided concrete evidence that TCM shows Cagney films A LOT (since TCM is very Warner Brother studio focused due to that being a key studio as part of the Turner library of films that started this network).    Isn't that showing respect?  Isn't that remembering him?     Isn't it lot more important that TCM show Cagney films during the either YEAR,  than just one day, that happens to be his birthday?

I understand your point but he hasn't had a Tribute in a very long time. 

6 minutes ago, LeeDonely said:

I understand your point but he hasn't had a Tribute in a very long time. 

Like I said above,  hopefully TCM will have Cagney as Star of the Month,  since the last times were 1998 and 2008. 

I also understand your point;  I just don't feel that strongly about tributes,  especially birthday tributes, as they relate to TCM's programming.    The reason is simple; every member of the movie making business has a birthday.

Note at this forum we have had similar discussions with regards to the Oscar memorial tribute that honors those in the bis that have died the previous year.    Due to time constraints there can only be so many people shown.  Who gets in and who is left out?     I hope you can see that these are very difficult choices to make.

Same goes with who gets a birthday tribute.    

Anyhow,  welcome to this forum and for answering that question about wood buildings in a Cagney film.    We need that type of knowledge around here so hopefully you will stick around.   

• Like 1

Many of us would like TCM to be aware of our comments here. Some say the Backlot members have a voice. Do they? Should we have to pay extra for our voices to be heard?

They are not compelled to do as we ask, but they should be listening.

I see no evidence of that.

We DO pay to keep the lights on at TCM.

13 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Many of us would like TCM to be aware of our comments here. Some say the Backlot members have a voice. Do they? Should we have to pay extra for our voices to be heard?

They are not compelled to do as we ask, but they should be listening.

I see no evidence of that.

We DO pay to keep the lights on at TCM.

Oh, they’re aware of the comments here. Trust me on that.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Princess of Tap said:

TCM better show Jimmy Cagney tap dancing right now or else.

Rocky Sullivan

I searched Edward G. Robinson Tap Dance. Got this clip after removing Tap.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:33 AM, spence said:

I thought for years nobody else even heard of his well made (***) 1945 BLOOD ON THE SUN  It took home an *Oscar for its B & W Art-Direction

But GREAT GUY (**) &SOMETHING TO SING ABOIUT (**1/2) just my opinions.

He always was bored portraying gangsters, calling it just another hack job & by far loved the one's like YAKEE DOODLE   I'll never 4-get back before the cable revolution in the '80's & 90's they had some cheapo movie awards & of all people-(DULLSVILLE) Pat Boone & Debbie Boone came out or were hosting & outcame *JIM to present some award-(around 1979) & it was among his 1st public times where he admitted to suffering BIG-TIME from diabetes. Then for any that may also recall around early 1982 they had a massive-(YET CORNY) special NIGHT OF 100 SARS-(anyone remember this???) & this was very sad, depressing & made me furious for the grand finale they forget *CAGNEY under the main stage, stuck in his wheelchair. He always said even the rain made him cry IRISH sentinment. But, he lost it then stuck under the grand finale & having to hear it all WHOWERE THE JERKS-(to put it mildly) that would actually forget *JAMES (Francis) CAGNEY???

They didn't forget Cagney in the basement it was supposed to be a surprise for the audience and were keeping him there until he was called. It might've have been longer then expected but that's the way the Producer's designed it. They knew he would bring down the house by arranging it this way...and HE DID!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Like I said above,  hopefully TCM will have Cagney as Star of the Month,  since the last times were 1998 and 2008. 

I also understand your point;  I just don't feel that strongly about tributes,  especially birthday tributes, as they relate to TCM's programming.    The reason is simple; every member of the movie making business has a birthday.

Note at this forum we have had similar discussions with regards to the Oscar memorial tribute that honors those in the bis that have died the previous year.    Due to time constraints there can only be so many people shown.  Who gets in and who is left out?     I hope you can see that these are very difficult choices to make.

Same goes with who gets a birthday tribute.    

Anyhow,  welcome to this forum and for answering that question about wood buildings in a Cagney film.    We need that type of knowledge around here so hopefully you will stick around.   

Thanks James!