Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE (1914)

Guest dredagain

The first feature-length comedy and starring Marie Dressler, Charlie Chaplin, and Mabel Normand to boot.

I have this on DVD but taped it anyway, hoping for a better music score and better picture quality.....

Any comments on this classic?

I watched a few minutes and the print looks better than the old DVD I have... the music is probably new.

Possibly the only film in which anyone (Dressler) upstaged Chaplin.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Larry.... yes Marie Dressler is amazing in her film debut... I'm sure much of Tillie is based on stage characters Dressler had played for decades but she was a natural for films.

I'm glad at least she did get her few years of fame and recognition. From what I've read she was so destitute in the late 1920's that she was ready to take a housekeeper job when her friend screen writer Frances Marion intervened for her at MGM. She was given one of the lead roles in "The Callahan's And The Murphy's" and slowly but surely her career started to turn around for the better.

A Dressler biography by Betty Lee (there are a few) noted that Dressler was always trying out bizarro ideas to become "rich" since her stage career was on and off for several reasons (WW I, an actors' strike). She bought and managed concessions stands at places like Coney Island.... Dressler apparently had no head for business and sued over and over again for the profits from TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE but never really got anything.

Her contract with MGM, where she was the #1 box office star of the early 30s, was a pittance compared to what others like Gilbert and Garbo got.

And even seemingly minor films like POLITICS, PROSPERITY, and REDUCING ranked among the top hits of the year. Audiences loved her gruff character and shameless mugging. They still do.