Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George Lucas botched the STAR WARS mythos long ago

In EMPIRE STRIKES BACK we learn that Darth Vader is Luke`s father and in RETURN OF THE JEDI not only is Darth Vader aka. Annakin Skywalker Luke`s pappy but Princess Leia`s as well. Unfortunately, Darth Vader being Leia`s father CANNOT be reconciled to the first movie STAR WARS because there were numerous times in the movie when Vader and Leia were in VERY CLOSE PERSONAL PROXIMITY to the other. George Lucas screwed the pooch! If Leia is Darth`s darling daughter THEN HOW CAN IT BE EXPLAINED that Vader never sensed it in the first movie? Obviously it can`t.

Message was edited by: VonFrankenhausen

Okay, this is something that a lot of people don't get. Leia couldn't have been detected because her power is "asleep". The Force has to be awakened inside of someone who has it usually. You see, the force may manifest itself or it may have to be taught in order for it to be used. Plus, Leia supposedly had a protective barrier between her and Vader. Something Obi-wan gave her when born.

I've always suspected that originally George did not dream up a trilogy until the first movie was a huge hit and then he had to come up with a story line for three films. Which explains the flirting between Luke and his "sister" in the first movie. I never thought about how Darth doesn't detect his daughter but the Obi wan magic shield makes sense.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> The Original Star Wars opens with the titles "Episode IV," so maybe Lucas had a series of movies in mind

The original movie _didn't have "Episode IV" on its opening crawl when it was first released to theaters in 1977_. In fact it wasn't added until later theatrical re-releases.

Most of us had no idea what Lucas was really up to until the release of *TESB*, which was identified in the title crawl as *Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back*.

However it is widely acknowledged that Lucas had written a very extensive back story in his yellow note pads as far back as the early 70's, though of course he had no idea that he'd ever be able to make more than one movie out of it.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Interesting ... I remember reading a review by TIME Magazine, and they mentioned the opening crawl for Star Wars.

Look up the issue that came out around Memorial Day, 1980, and you'll see they mention something about the first surprise in *ESB* being right there in the title crawl.

Believe me, I used to have the original theatrical release of *Star Wars* on video, and it definitely didn't have the "Episode IV" in the title crawl when it was new in theaters in 1977.

>Look up the issue that came out around Memorial Day, 1980, and you'll see they mention something about the first surprise in ESB being right there in the title crawl.

I believe that is what I remember. Thanks.

You do realize that George Lucas I think it was a car crash he was in. He saw his life flash before

his eyes and that's what inspired him to do the Star Wars story in the first place.

I never struggled with the whole "why didn't he know she was his daughter" thing....SHE didn't even know her real identity. Somewhere--I think it was in "Jedi"--Luke asks her what she remembers of her childhood or something like that and she says something to the effect that she doesn't remember her mother except that she was very beautiful and that she died when Leia was young. Now she would still have to be talking about her adoptive mother wouldn't she...since her birth mother died when she was born and Leia would probably not have known what she looked like. (I don't know--is there ever any mention of what happens to Organa's wife after they take Leia in as an infant??) So I think she was just as much in the dark about everything as Vader was so she had no secret to keep and no thoughts to betray...and maybe Vader was just too distracted by building and testing the deathstar to "sense" it on his own!! :-) But I agree that probably the main reason he doesn't figure it out is because Lucas did not think of it sooner. He probably never dreamed in his wildest imagination that he would have to develope so detailed a story line to follow using a "backstory" that was mostly just a some ideas on paper. I think he probably had a lot of concepts to help him come up with character motivations and such....but I doubt he realized he would need to follow up with things from the 1st movie over 20 years later in order to pick up and show how it all got started.

Film Fatale wrote: used to have the original theatrical release from 77 on video without an episode #.

That's not really possible. I have the original theatrical release from CBS/FOX video. It has the episode # on it. The only way you could've had this was maybe on beta. But the Star Wars movies were released only on vhs in a collector's series edition with the documentary From Star Wars To Jedi.

Message was edited by: ask

> {quote:title=ask wrote:}{quote}

> Film Fatale wrote: used to have the original theatrical release from 77 on video without an episode #.

>

> That's not really possible.

You're not thinking outside the box. Yes, it is possible. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lucas released a two DVD set with "A New Hope" plus the original theatrical release as well (last year I think). The original does not have an episode number in the scroll. I believe that Lucas had a very, very loose outline about an overall story when "Star Wars" came out. Star Wars itself was the part of the story that had the tightest narrative so that's what he went with. As a matter of fact, the story was so loose that one of the orginal Star Wars trailers suggested a love story between Luke and Leia. This trailer can be veiwed on the Star Wars 4 disc DVD set. Remember on the Falcon.........Luke asks Han about Leia "What do you think of her Han?" Han responds "I'm trying not to kid." Luke answers "Good."

• 1 month later...

Being a very big Star Wars fan, maybe I can shed some light on this.

Lucas did write the story on paper, maybe not in novel form, but he was extremely familiar with the vision he had for the basis of the story. Heck, is wasn't Skywalker at first but Starkiller. But I believe that he knew before hand that Leia and Luke were brother and sister, however, the general audience didn't. And to keep with the drama of a possible relationship, he kept them guessing until the end of Empire Strikes Back when the infamous line from Yoda is announced "there is another" and everyone and their mother was trying to figure out who the "other" was. I remember, cause I guessed Han.

In the third movie, it's explained by Obi-Wan that they were separated at birth and that it was imperative that the Emperor (Palpatine) knew nothing of this because he was much stronger in the force and would have known there was a relationship between Vader and the children. This shows there was a limit to Anakin's (Darth Vader's) powers. How could he know something when the other party had no clue either? To further that, Vader showed no clue that Luke was his son until the line "I am your father" in ESB. My theory on this since I didn't read the books was that possibly Obi-Wan told him he had a son right before he was killed by Darth in SW. I don't know. I wish I would have read those books and maybe I should to find out.

As a person grows in the "Force" they become more aware of their surroundings and loved ones. Leia mentions that "she knows and has always known" Luke was her brother in some sense, but she doesn't know how she knows. I've read further on from the movies with extended versions of the storyline from different authors. They explain that Leia's gift of the Force is more emotionally driven and she has very good perception of people's feelings rather than what their course of action will be. She struggles with a light saber, yet can sense the rage and anger or fear in someone very quickly. So for her to have known her mother being "very beautiful but very sad" signifies that her bond with her was an emotional one growing with the force inside since birth. I hope that made sense.