Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blu-ray General Discussion Area

filmlover

So talking Blu ray , are we going to be forced to convert or are SD DVDs going to still be released as well as Blu-ray.

For me if I have to go Blu Ray, Id have to get a new TV , a new DVD player & I love my current TV set, its a model just before the HD era...I was told I can get blu-ray player for it but the quality of the DVD wont make a difference. My TV has some blue red cables in the back & a component feature as well as AV1 & 2..

I wish I knew what to do..I really dont want to convert unless its really necessary

I can't imagine the studios will stop releasing movies on DVD as long as there's money to be made from it. You'd probably have to wait until there's as much demand for DVDs as there is for movies on VHS today, before the studios start releasing stuff exclusively on Blu-Ray.

By that time, it's very likely that most people will have upgraded their sets and players.

Web,

Another possibility, in case you don't want Matrix, is that stories are circulating now that the Samsung 1500 will be selling on Black Friday for $149 at select places. I have only heard of one store so far but it is nothing out here in the West, so I expect that Walmart and the like will duplicate the deal.

I have two Blu players now, the Sony S300/301 and the Sony 550. Even so, at $149, that price is darn tempting.

filmlover

TripleHHH, take your time. DVD will be around for some time to come. I can see how in several years Blus will be doing great, but I can't imagine DVDs ever not being manufactured. To do a film on Blu high definition requires generally a remaster, and since so many films have already been issued on DVD, I don't think that the majority will ever go through that process because 1. it will cost more to do so; 2. there may not be a market for the vast majority of titles; 3. most Blu disc-creating facilities are operating at full levels just trying to keep up with what is coming out now.

By the way, Blu-ray players also play DVDs and upconvert them to a better image than a standard DVD player.

First the TV, then the Blu, that is my advice. But this comes with a warning: once you experience high def TV, you never want to go back to standard.

The funny thing is the Samsung player shipped before The Matrix set and they only charged $157.95 for the player. It seems that instead of making The Matrix free, the promotion takes a little off the price of the player and a little off the Matrix set. But they didn't mention that. I'm wondering if I cancel the Matrix now, which I don't really want, will that null the promotion or will I get the player for $157.95? I was figuring on selling the Matrix anyway, so it probably doesn't matter since I could probably get the $56 difference or more back by selling it. It's currently selling for about $70-75 on Ebay. So the Samsung will actually only cost me $149 or less.

Web, this should answer both of your questions (from the Amazon site):

2. The value of the Bonus item will be reflected on the final order checkout page and will be allocated proportionally to all participating promotion items in the Shopping Cart, including the Bonus item itself. *For example,* if the promotion offers one Bonus item worth $10 for free when you purchase 2 items worth $20 each, *the value of the $10 item will be divided proportionately between the three items, so that the Bonus item will appear with a $2 discount, and each of the two other items will appear with a $4 discount.*

3. *If you remove any of the participating promotion items from your Shopping Cart or violate any of the terms and conditions listed below, the promotion will be invalid, and the discount will be removed from the order.*

By the way, Web...WELCOME TO BLU!

Here are ten excellent Blu titles you might want to think about buying first (or renting) to show off the new player:

How the West Was Won

The Searchers

Enchanted

Sleeping Beauty

The Sand Pebbles

Cars

Jailhouse Rock

Ratatouille

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

2001: A Space Odyssey

filmlover

Thanks Filmlover, I think I will wait.Even though Blu Ray could play on this set, the quality I suspect wouldnt be HD. Im in hurry because Im happy with the image quality that this TV set brings. Im sure BluRay makes things even clearer, but Im really satisfied with what I have. I have invested so much into SD DVDs that I wouldnt want to really replace everything, maybe a few newer movies,but I really dont want to shell out the money to do unless there is a deadline ala everyone must have digital TV by 2/09 or something like that..

Of the ones you mentioned, I will eventually get these:

The Searchers

Enchanted

Sleeping Beauty

Cars

Ratatouille

But I will rent the rest. Some people will buy a movie on Blu-ray just because "it looks good;" it got a good rating in the picture category among reviewers. But I'll only buy ones that I otherwise would have bought on standard DVD because either it has some star I like or I liked the film and expect to watch it over many times. I'm thinking the quality of the Blu-ray image might be distorting people's sense of what's a good movie and what just looks good.

*Sleeping Beauty* might be put on moratorium fairly quickly, as Disney usually does with their animated releases.

To me, the only Blu-Ray movies worth buying are those I can't reasonably expect to rent at some future date - or special collector's sets that are made available on a limited basis, like the *Blade Runner* one that came in a suitcase-like case. Everything else should be easy to get from Netflix - and the extra coating on Blu-Rays practically ensures they'll play perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm totally happy with the Samsung BD-P1500 1080p Blu-ray player. Loads about as fast as a standard DVD player. Easy-to-use remote and features. Upconverts decently. It's a great first player. I got The Searchers, The Fifth Element, Eraser, and American Psycho. Got them all for about $11 each at Amazon sales. The Searchers is breathtaking, of course.

Other Blu-rays I'm looking to own:

The Transporter

Top Gun

Eight Below

Mission Impossible III

Sleeping Beauty

Blade Runner

Casablanca

The Fugitive

Body Heat

Heathers

Justice League: New Frontier

Tears of the Sun

Rio Bravo

V for Vendetta

Apocalypto

Lord of War

Transformers

Twister

Chicken Little

Beetlejuice

Cars

Enchanted

That's about it right now. (OK, maybe Beyonce in Concert. Guilty pleasure, what can I say?) I don't know about Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Journey to the Center (new one), as I haven't seen them yet. I'm also looking forward to some titles that were released on HD to come to Blu:

Waterworld

12 Monkeys

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

The Scorpion King

The Bourne Supremacy

Dragonheart

The Chronicles of Riddick

holla!

Congrats, Web, welcome to Blu!

Before buying some titles, you have options. Netflix rents most of them. Plus you should also check the reviews at www.highdefdisgest.com and www.blu-ray.com. They are pretty accurate.

As far as a guilty pleasure with Beyonce in Concert, I have the Celine Dion Blu and it is incredible (the show completely in high def and then the full show but as seen from a backstage view with dancers and others coming and going, againin high def). The Blu releasec had gotten high ratings and I took a chance on doing a blind buy but I am glad I did. I was never much of a fan od Dion but after seeing it I became more of one.

And, yes, The Searchers is amazing in high def!

• 1 month later...

Well, my Sony BD player finally came in the mail yesterday. I'm very happy with it. :)

For those of you who still haven't got a player and plan on getting one soon, I'd recommend you look into getting a good HDMI cable from an online store, if you can. I was a bit surprised that the Sony player didn't include one, since it's the one basic component to enjoy the full image that HD systems can offer. And of course, if you buy a HDMI cable at a store like Best Buy, you're very likely going to get ripped off. All HDMI cables do essentially the same thing, from what I've read, because it's digital information, so it doesn't matter if it sells for $10 or for $80 at BB. (Their profit margin for this thing is probably higher than for any other item!)

There's a lot of places online you can find a good HDMI cable for $10 or even less, that will do essentially the same thing as an HDMI cable that might cost you in the neighborhood of $80 at Best Buy or even Radio Shack.

Congrats, film fatale, welcome to Blu! Which model did you get and which deal did you get in on?

I think you mentioned you have been picking up titles prior to getting it, but here are ten titles (in no particular order) of different genres you should think about getting, if you haven't already:

1. The Searchers

2. Ratatouille

3. From Russia With Love

4. Viva Las Vegas

5. Enchanted (I loved it for all its references in the film to Disney classics of the past).

6. 2001: A Space Odyssey

7. Casablanca

8. Adventures of Robin Hood

9. Celine Dion: A New Day...Live in Las Vegas

10. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Plack Pearl

And, of course, no Blu library should start without Planet Earth.

Well I got the S-350, during the Thanksgiving weekend deal, with the online coupon.

I'd already bought a bunch of stuff before, including the Ultimate Collector's set of *Blade Runner* (the one with the "briefcase"), the *Godfather* trilogy, *Iron Man* (Target exclusive case), *Kill Bill 1&2*, *Sleeping Beauty, Nightmare Before Christmas* and I've already ordered the *Casablanca* UCE, *The Searchers* and the *Planet of the Apes* 40th anniversary set.

Of course I also had the BD of *HTWWW* from the day of the Cinerama screening, the Smilebox version looks absolutely fantastic!

I also forgot to mention the BD of *Clone Wars*, which at the moment is the only CG-animation title that I have, although I'm sure that's bound to change. Now I know many people didn't care for it, but I liked it well enough, and it also looks gorgeous.

I can't wait for the BD releases of movies like:

*Lawrence of Arabia*

*Star Wars* (all 6)

*Indiana Jones* (first 3)

*Back to the Future* trilogy

*LOTR* trilogy

*Star Trek* movie series

*Superman* (complete set)

*James Bond* (complete set)

*Brazil*

*Tron*

*Rocky Horror Picture Show*

*El Cid*

*The Fall of the Roman Empire*

*Gone with the Wind*

*The Wizard of Oz*

and all the Biblical epics, *Ben Hur*, *Ten Commandments*, *Greatest Story Ever Told*, etc.

And perhaps it would also be nice if WHV could consider taking a second try at the *That's Entertainment!* movies, since the first transfer apparently disappointed so many folks.