Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the man who knew too much (1956)

ultravixen101

I can't believe you guys! For years I've been saying the same thing about that grey suit that Doris and Kim wear in these 2 films! Ask my kids--oh right you can't- you'll have to take my word for it-you think Hitchcock was trying to save some money using the same wardrobe? that's why I'm really enjoying this site- all these great minds thinking alike!!

It's just that Hitch had an ideal woman, she is ice-cool blonde,

very slim, likes to wear suits, and very high heels, she sometimes

wears glasses - from Madeleine Carroll through Eva Marie Saint

all (except 'Tippy' Hedren's green suit in The Birds) have been the

same style grey suit..the brunette exceptions (Teresa Wright,

Ruth Roman) went suit free...

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> D'ya think Alma recognized Hitch's obsession with tall slim ice-cool blondes? They none of them looked like her.

>

> Tsk! Tsk!

It's been ages since I read a Hitchcock bio but I seem to remember something along the lines of Hitch being too insecure about his own looks to ever think he could get the kind of "ice-cool blonde" that he apparently drooled over. Alma was very much the kind of woman he apparently needed, regardless of what he thought he would have liked to get, imho.

> {quote:title=RainingViolets101 wrote:}{quote}

> It's just that Hitch had an ideal woman, she is ice-cool blonde,

> very slim, likes to wear suits, and very high heels, she sometimes

> wears glasses - from Madeleine Carroll through Eva Marie Saint

> all (except 'Tippy' Hedren's green suit in The Birds) have been the

> same style grey suit..the brunette exceptions (Teresa Wright,

> Ruth Roman) went suit free...

He did sign Suzanne Pleshette to a contract, after working with her on *The Birds*. However, she made him stipulate that she would only have to honor it, if she were offered the female lead. When he offered her the role of Lil Mainwaring, in *Marnie* (ultimately played by Diane Baker), she replied, "If my character's name isn't Marnie, I'm not doing it!" She never did work for him again, but they remained very close friends until his death

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings