Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*CANDIDS*

bansi4

Photobucket

Cowboy star Gene Autry in the holiday spirit

Photobucket

Cecil Kellaway with Joan Crawford in a scene that never made it to the screen

from "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte". Crawford bailed out.

Photobucket

Charles 'Buddy' Rogers & Mary Pickford marry on June 26, 1937

>Mongo wrote:

>Sillent film great Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle with his pooch Luke.

Ah, I was listening to Dennis Prager today, on AM radio, talking about the importance of history and how it affects our lives and not knowing it can cause great harm to us all.

I will take an unpopular stand here and state few people know how popular the pit bull was with most of America in the early part of the 20th century.

The pit bull was one of America's favorite dogs, if not the favorite and, today, it is reviled and unjustly so.

It has been made to be a monster by man and not the dog. The dog in the right hands is a loving, loyal and great with children.

I've seen it...

Thanks Mongo for the great pics...just thought I'd throw this in...

Remember Petey with The Little Rascals...

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pete.php

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

Photobucket

Betty Grable & Victor Mature with the light meter hand in-between

Photobucket

Joe E. Brown putting finishing touches on the Santa Claus Lane Parade in 1938

Photobucket

Doris Day & Jack Carson on the set

Message was edited by: mongo

Meet Nena Quartaro...

Regarding that picture of Lina Basquette posted on Dec. 13, it's certainly beautiful, in fact one of my favorites. But there's just one slight problem... it is NOT Lina Basquette. That is a still of Nena Quartaro from the 1933 Hal Roach/MGM feature "The Devil's Brother" (also known as "Fra Diavolo") starring Laurel & Hardy. I have the original still right here. It is #HR-F3-103. That means it's from Hal Roach feature #3, still #103. Although her scenes in the movie were cut to almost nothing in the final edit her image was used quite a lot in the promotion of the film. She is even pictured prominently (and beautifully colored in) on two of the original lobby cards. She can also be seen in ad cuts and other promotional material for the film. Obviously they knew that even though she had little to do in the movie, pictures of a beautiful girl would look good in the advertising. And with the classic beauty Thelma Todd in the movie too, it says a lot that Nena was used in so much of the advertising, although as noted her role in the film was heavily edited.

I have done many years of research on Nena Quartaro, and here are some brief career highlights.

Nena (whose first name is also sometimes given as Nina, and whose last name is sometimes seen as Quartero) was born Gladys Quartararo, and used the name Gladys Quartaro for her first few movies in 1928. She worked at Hal Roach Studios in 1928 and 1929 in five shorts, four with Charley Chase (including Chase's first talkie, "The Big Squawk") then worked at several different studios, appearing in more shorts, plus all kinds of features. Sometimes small parts, sometimes unbilled, she rarely had leading roles. She returned to Roach Studios in 1933 for about a year (two features, three shorts) then back to freelancing including a nice role in Charley Chase's first short for Columbia Pictures in 1937 ("The Grand ****"). Her final role was in the 1943 comedy "A Lady Takes a Chance". She passed away on Nov. 23, 1985 at age 77. It's interesting that on her Death Certificate her occupation was given as "actress" although she hadn't made a movie since 1943 and her employer was given as MGM, for whom she hadn't made a film since 1936.

I have no idea how or why anyone would or could confuse Nena Quartaro with Lina Basquette, but this is not the first time I've seen it. Several months ago while working on research for the Program Notes for the Capitolfest in Rome, New York, where the 1928 Lina Basquette feature "Show Folks" was being screened I came across some website that also had the two ladies mixed up, in fact even using this same still of Nena misidentified as Lina.

My old original of this Nena Quartaro still is a nice vintage sepia color, but I also very much like the coloring of the still as posted here. Good job.

--- Rich F.

Archived