Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movielover, I'm glad that you liked the Marlon Brando image.

Musicalnovelty, I don't know the name of the gent, probably a studio executive. The backdrop is not blacked out. It's just part of the scenery. Has to be in the early 1930s.

Poinciana, there is a treat for you...above.

APRIL 4th. BIRTHDAYS

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANTHONY PERKINS (1932 - 1992)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GENE REYNOLDS 84 today

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COMPOSER ELMER BERNSTEIN (1922 - 2004)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOROTHY HART (1922 - 2004)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSEMARY LANE (1914 - 1974)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESTHER HOWARD (1892 - 1965)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (1875 - 1948)

Here's a little ditty about that slogan.

The film was advertised with the catch-phrase "Gable's back and Garson's got him!" Gable had argued for "He put the Arson in Garson", she countered "She Put the Able in Gable!", thereafter the safer catchphrase was selected.

Personal note. I remember waiting on long lines like that at Radio City on numerous occasions with my mom. :-)

Photobucket

Frank Sinatra, wife Nancy, Howard Strikling & Greer Garson attend a salute to Louella Parsons

Photobucket

Mia Farrow shooting director Roman Polanski on the set of "Rosemary's Baby"

Photobucket

Jean Simmons getting use to the water for her drowning scene with director/star

Laurence Olivier in "Hamlet"

APRIL 5th. BIRTHDAYS

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GALE STORM 86 today

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCER TRACY (1900 - 1967)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELVYN DOUGLAS (1901 - 1981)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRADY SUTTON (1906 - 1995)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTE DAVIS (1908 - 1989)

Photobucket

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREGORY PECK (1916 - 2003)

Lovely pic of Gale Storm! Thanks, Mongo. I loved her in OH, SUSANNA with Zazu Pitts and Roy Roberts. MY LITTLE MARGIE was shown before we got our tv, but I saw a few reruns later on and enjoyed her in those too. Charlie Farrell made quite a handsom Dad!

Grateful for the pic of Barbara Lawrence, Mongo. You're the best as always.

I googled her and found a "glamour-girl" website which included a time-line of her life. It said that she had a book coming out in Sept '08 called Welcome to the Jungle. Well, I googled that too and of course all I got was the Guns 'n Roses thing. I wonder whether the website abt her got it wrong or what... Would love to read her take on Hollywood.

Hi Mongo, A belated thank you for remembering Doris Day on her birthday. My computer was acting up, and I didn`t see the pic until today. Your Candids thread is enjoyed by everybody. Congratulations on being chosen as a TCM guest programmer. I will be watching all week.

I couldn't be more surprised by this. Like you said, I assumed also that her book was abt the Hollywood Jungle.

Loved the link and came away from rather inspired by Barbara. Some kind of lady! Thanks a milliion LZ!

Erzbet, Gale Storm was in movies long before becoming a popular TV and recording star.

Cashette, thank you. Doris Day was one of my very first favorites growing up in Brooklyn.

Lynn, thanks for the info about the book for Poinciana.

musicalnovelty, that is Joseph Von Sternberg, Marlene's mentor, at the top.

Hey, Mongo, can we have a little more Garbo?

And, my gosh, Anthony Perkins was really a handsome son of a gun! No wonder he was a MOVIE STAR!

What a coincedence! Purely by chance I was watching The Big Country and obsessing about Gregory Peck on his birthday.

He has a bad birthday sharing it with Bette Davis and Spencer Tracy.

Why did his career not start in the thirties? I haven't read much about him yet.

Hi Joe! (Or should we call you "sockless Joe?" Can't wait to see you in living color....)

Speaking of color, could you find a photo or two of Spencer Tracy in color? I never knew he was a redhead, and have never seen any photos of him in color before he turned gray. Thanks!

And thanks for all these great pictures. What a lot of fun you provide!!!

Nancy

Kim, glad to hear that you appreciated the Gregory Peck image.

Thanks, Nancy. I'll search for a Spencer Tracy redhead image. I believe that in some of his films his hair was darkened.