Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Middleton! THANKS! That puts a name to that very familiar face. Another almost perenial mean-guy evil-villain that filled theaters and TV series for so long. Thanks, Mongo! He's another one I want to 'collect'.

EDIT: Mongo just appeared to have double posted that Lovely Rita pix again. FINE WITH ME. You can double post Lovely Ritas all over the place. I hope you do not correct this! ha ha

Message was edited by: Ollie_T

I've tried to identify all those tough-guy villains that were plastered across American TV in the '50s and '60s, and am usually amazed that so many of them are in favorite films. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Mostly, there are so many faces and, even if I can recall their face, I might not find a certain film or certain TV episode to track down their names. Thanks to you, I've got another one.

And please - you may need to keep testing that and any other Rita photo you have. Practice, practice, practice!

>I've tried to identify all those tough-guy villains that were plastered across American TV in the '50s and '60s, and am usually amazed that so many of them are in favorite films. I don't think that's a coincidence.

You mean like Dick Bakalyan, Art Batanides, Joseph Ruskin, H. M. Wynant and other swarthy cats????

EXACTLY! Now, those are 4 'newbies' to me, and their faces were mostly from the '60s, '70s and '80s. And on. But exactly right - I didn't know any of their names but their faces are so familiar!

And even if these are 'the new generation', they followed in the footsteps of great character actors and I think they held up their end pretty well. I hope today's newest generation has half the opportunities these guys did.

Great job, Ray!

>And even if these are 'the new generation', they followed in the footsteps of great character actors and I think they held up their end pretty well. I hope today's newest generation has half the opportunities these guys did.

You might want to take a look at ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS. It features a whole bunch of wonderful baddies, including some old-timers like Jack Larue, Allen Jenkins, Harry Wilson and Charlie Sullivan. Sullivan played more taxi drivers in WB gangster pictures; and pug-ugly Wilson may be remembered for looking a Lou in ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD and remarking "I've seen some ugly faces before, but yours takes the cake!"

Ray, I've been using TCM-Union to post pix of a lot of the supporting actors whom I can name AND find Google-Images for. You've got a couple in this last list - Harry Wilson and Charlie Sullivan - that I can't locate. I suspect their names are too common.

But you *and Mongo* have given me some great impetus there. I never realized who Morris Ankrum was, for example, until I found his pix. Wow. He's "only got" 261 role credits on IMDB, but he's one of those actors that, if we could get his catalog put onto DVD, we'd have some of the best films around.

AND some of the worst!

They could probably do an "ANKRUM IN JUDGE'S ROBES" and have 30-40 discs filled.