• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scott/Boetticher DVD Box coming from Sony this Fall

clore

• 1 month later...

There is a nice write-up on the tcm.com website:

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=210948

Known for their sparse style, dramatic rocky locations, and recurring themes of a lone man seeking vengeance amidst a brutal landscape, the films of Budd Boetticher have, decades after their release, come to be regarded as some of the most influential westerns ever made. On November 4, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) honors this visionary director with The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set, the debut title under the new creative partnership between SPHE and Martin Scorsese?s non-profit film preservation organization, The Film Foundation, to make available newly restored classic films on DVD. This must-have collection for western fans features five masterpieces starring Randolph Scott, and includes *The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome, Buchanan Rides Alone* and *Comanche Station*. In addition, the bonus materials include commentary and special introductions by a trio of Academy Award winning directors: Clint Eastwood, Taylor Hackford, and Martin Scorsese. The set also features the acclaimed documentary *Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That*, which explores how the films of Budd Boetticher influenced future directors and includes interviews with Clint Eastwood, Peter Bogdanovich, Taylor Hackford, and Paul Schrader.

About Budd Boetticher

Oscar 'Budd' Boetticher (pronounced Bet-ick-her) left his lasting directorial mark on the western, although less than half of his films are in that genre. Born July 29, 1916 and raised in Chicago, the future auteur was a star football player at Ohio State University. While recovering from an injury in Mexico in the 1930s, Boetticher was captivated by bullfighting and became a professional matador. Acclaimed director Rouben Mamoulian ( *Applause, Queen Christina, Golden Boy* ) hired him as a consultant on his bullfighter drama *Blood and Sand* (1940), starring Tyrone Power and Rita Hayworth, which led to his tenure in Hollywood.

Working his way up through the studios, Boetticher eventually became a capable director of low-budget crime films and thrillers, which led to his first ?personal? film, *The Bullfighter and the Lady* (1951), based on his experiences as a matador. He achieved his greatest success in the mid-fifties when he teamed up with producer Harry Joe Brown, screenwriter Burt Kennedy and actor Randolph Scott to produce the six films that came to be known as the Ranown cycle, beginning with *Seven Men from Now* (1956) and followed by the five films included in The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set. The films were shot in the Lone Pine region of California with Boetticher's simple, unobtrusive shooting style, which launched a new and influential era for the western. Considered by many critics to be among the great achievements of the traditional western, the Ranown films have placed Budd Boetticher in a select group of great Western genre directors, and his influence can be seen in the westerns of Sergio Leone and Sam Peckinpah.

In the ?60s, Boetticher left Hollywood to make a documentary about the legendary matador Carlos Arruza. The troubled project took over 7 years to film, but was a failure at the box office. He directed only a handful of films after that, including *A Time for Dying* (1969) and the documentary *My Kingdom For...* (1985), before passing away on November 29, 2001.

THE FILMS OF BUDD BOETTICHER BOX SET includes:

*The Tall T* (1957):

After losing his horse in an ill-timed wager, Arizona rancher Pat Brennan (Randolph Scott) joins Willard Mims (John Hubbard) and his new wife, Doretta (Maureen O'Sullivan), as he hitches a ride on a passing stagecoach. Things turn ugly when the stagecoach is hijacked by three thieves whose leader, Usher (Richard Boone), who turns out to be a ruthless killer. The Tall T was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2000 as being ?culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.?

*Decision at Sundown* (1957):

Bart Allison (Randolph Scott) believes Tate Kimbrough (John Carroll) caused the death of his wife three years earlier and now Bart rides into the town of Sundown to even the score.

*Buchanan Rides Alone* (1958):

On his way home to West Texas, Tom Buchanan (Randolph Scott) rides into the Californian border town of Agry, and into a feud between several members of the Agry family. In helping out a Mexican seeking revenge on one of them, Buchanan finds himself against the whole family.

*Ride Lonesome* (1959):

Wanted for murder, Billy John (James Best) is captured by bounty hunter Ben Brigade (Randolph Scott), who hopes he will lead him to Billy?s brother Frank (Lee Van Cleef) who harbors a treacherous secret about the past. The journey leads to a dramatic showdown at the infamous Hanging Tree.

*Comanche Station* (1960):

Jefferson Cody (Randolph Scott) attempts to rescue Nancy Lowe (Nancy Gates) who?s been captured by the Comanche Indians. Accompanying him on the mission are a disreputable trio (Claude Akins, Skip Homeier, Richard Rust) who want the reward for her return for themselves.

DVD Special Features Include:

? Digitally Remastered Audio and Video

? Audio Commentary and Introductions for Each Film

? Documentary: Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That

• 5 weeks later...

Tonight, 8 PM EST, TCM airs *"Decision at Sundown,"* one of the five on the DVD set. It's perhaps the least favorite of my Boetticher-Scott Westerns, but it is still very good.

Scott plays a less-than-likeable character, out to avenge the memory of his wife.

Even though most of the movie is set in town, with Scott and his sidekick, Noah Beery Jr. (Rocky in The Rockford Files), holed up in a livery stable, I enjoy the tension and the story line.

My favorites in the DVD set are *"Ride Lonesome," "Comanche Station,"* and *"7 Men From Now."*

I can't pick just one, but I think I like the Lone Pine exteriors in these movies as much as the movies themselves.

I ordered my DVD set yesterday.

Message was edited by: GiddyUp

"Seven Men From Now" isn't in that set, Set has "The Tall T", "Comanche Station", "Ride Lonesome", Decision At Sundown", and 'Buchannon Rides Alone".

Decision at Sundown Dir. Bud Boetticher, with Randolph Scott, John Carrol, Wallace Beery Jr, Karen Steele, Valerie French.

Easily the worst of the six Boetticher/Scott films that I've seen. This one is basically a town bound, dialog driven, "meller".

Scott comes to town with sidekick Beery on Tate Kimbrough's (John Caroll) wedding day to settle past accounts concerning his wife. A lot, and I mean a lot of the supporing cast of town folk you'll recognise from TV Westerns, old Twilight Zone's and even Clint Eastwood films (Hang 'Em High). So far Carrol with Andrew Duggan as his bought & paid for Sheriff, Swede Hanson are the weakest of the villians of the six .

You are correct; I was aware that "7 Men From Now" was not included in the set, but "mistakenly" typed it in as one of my favorite Boetticher-Scott movies. (The mistake is that it is NOT in the set.)

The one you rarely see in the Boetticher-Scott collaboration is Westbound, also with Karen Steele, and Virginia Mayo. I think Boetticher jumped in to direct during the middle of this movie, but I can't be sure.

Westbound, as I recall, starts out as an interesting movie before settling into a traditional bang-bang, shoot-em up ending.

The best part of Westbound is the story/relationship between Steele and her on-screen husband, Michael Dante (a Civil War vet with one arm).

I like all of the seven, but the three that I think stand above are "Comanche Station," "Ride Lonesome," and "7 Men From Now."

This is one of the BEST sets I've ever purchased. Three of the movies, *Comanche Station*, *The Tall T* and *Ride Lonesome* come with voiceovers from film professors/experts, and the commentary is great. Each of the five films is on a separate disc, and included are a separate commentary by an acclaimed director -- Clint Eastwood chimes in on *Comanche Station* and Martin Scorsese opines on *Ride Lonesome* -- original trailers, etc.

I also got some insight to the title *The Tall T* The screenplay was adapted from a short story by Elmore Leonard titled *The Captives*. The suits at the studio wanted a new title for the film. In another thread here, the suggestion is that the new title is taken from the name of Tenforte's ranch. But in the trailer, under the title are the words [T for terror]... Perhaps the title refers to more than one Tall T...

What's fantastic about the set, in my opinion, is the cinematography that often is missed when these movies have been shown on regular TV. Most of the time, I've had to watch the scan-and-pan versions of these films. I've only seen them a few times in the widescreen format. What a treat. (Especially Lawton, who did *Comanche Station* and *Ride Lonesome.*

The more I watch Scott, the more I see a very good actor who does so much on screen without having much dialogue. Burt Kennedy was an extremely good writer, and Boetticher was excellent.

What a DELIGHT!!

Message was edited by: GiddyUp

• 2 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings