Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carnival of Souls

NipkowDisc

last nite watched carnival of souls on my little 7" sylvania portable DVD player and it was quite enjoyable colorized not just black & white. made it better it did but it is the kinda film you wanna analyze afterwards. it's more I think than just about a young demure babe who doan realize she is dead from a horrible car drowning accident. that's part of it but not the whole deal. somehow she has forced her way back to physical life because of an unwillingness to accept her death and eternal fate. during her first psychoanalytical interview she is asked if she has always tried to avoid the company of others to which she says she doan know. she turns down an offer by the pastor to meet his congregation wanting nothing more than to pump out the pipes. she is back from the dead but has not learned her lesson. this irks some of the dead in the dry salt lake bed behind that long unfrequented amusement pavillion. this one phantom guy haunts her when she is not fading in and out of non-existence. she has cheated her way back to physical life having squandered while geniunely alive so many missed opportunities to have interacted with her fellow humanity and now has incensed the dead by her continued aloofness by obstinately forcing her way back to life. this will not do! so she drives her 1960 impala into a gas station to get her transmission looked at and has another dream forwarning her of her inescapable fate.

she gets chased outta the pavillion by the phantom whitefaces she has offended. (including herself) she falls, is surrounded by their mocking visages and bye bye. the pastor who fired her and the local sheriff ponder her disappearance. her time was up coinciding with the raising of the car with her drowned corpse inside.

:)

the moral: she squandered a whole lifetime keeping to herself and no 2nd chances.

Related image

• Like 2

One of the greatest movies ever made!

Okay, maybe I'm being a little silly but this film belongs in the Pantheon of Cult Movies. Herk Hervey has fashioned a classic, with little more than some black and white film, a car duel on a bridge and a carnival dance with people with bad makeup in a Kabuki style.

I think there are some real digs in this film at certain mainstream groups like church groups, especially when Mary is found playing somewhat "devil music" on the organ with her bare feet flying over the pedals and to the minister's astonishment, when chastized says something to the effect that being the organist for a church is "just a job" to her. Shocking talk! To this day, the car scene when the radio stations cannot be changed by turning the dial and the face shows up on the passenger side window, freaks me out.

Great analysis, Nip!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

Colorized? CARNIVAL OF SOULS? Not a good idea. It would be like adding strings and brass to the score.

Yikes, what a horrid idea! It is perfection in black and white, with a little grey in between.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

you know, I have a little die-cast 1960 impala and it's the same metallic blue as in the colorized print.

:D

Nip, I was totally impressed that you could identify her car as a 1960 Impala, in your review. All cars look alike to me except for Studebakers. 

We could remake the film "Carnival of Souls" in miniature, with those actors from "Attack of the Puppet People" and put them in your car and have it end up in the river muck. Think about it!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings