Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vivre Sa Vie

CaveGirl

Anyone else watch this Jean-Luc Godard film the other night?

One can have a fun discussion, talking about his predilection for using chapter-like and numbered headings for each section of the film, with tiny explanations, which reminds me of antiquated book chapter headings. One wonders if Godard had used a flashback if the numbers would be out of sequence.

This film on the evolution of a prostitute and her life with her pimp, is nicely done but still one wonders why prostitutes hold so much interest for filmmakers. It's a pretty basic concept. The idea seems to be, if I [meaning the lead character] am not making it in my field of preference [pick one...movies, record industry, fashion, just general purpose office positions] then rightfully so, I have turned to working the streets and leaning on a lamp post for a living. I will say Jodie Foster as a prostitute did present a bit more interesting take on this field of work though, in "Taxi Driver".

All in all, the film was most interesting to me during the scenes when Godard would choose to not show the actors' faces during a tense scene, as I dig, in a most Magritte-kind of way, that type of anonymous non-facial recognition. I do hate though those icky figurines which they sell in gift shops where there are no features, so go figure. All in all, I give the film about a 7 in a field of 10 being a great film. I am more attuned to something like "Weekend" I think, as any film which is by a director who is dating or in love with his leading lady, tends to be a bit boring, since on film, love stinks. All logic goes out the window, as the director thinks only of spotlighting his leading lady, I think.

• Like 1

It's a pretty good film. I liked the chapters too and I thought it was cool how the murder of the gangster was shown but not explained till later. It left you wondering what that scene was about. Very sad ending too.

I've always gotten so caught up in the diversionary stuff. I don't know how many times I've played that little dance solo. The dance is nothing artistically of course but seeing this lovely of an Anna being so spontaneous and child-like is appealing. And the guy who does the pantomime and funny faces is indeed funny. Now let's see, what was the film about again? Wait though, I'm not trashing the rest of it, just can't seem to remember much right now.

• Like 1

Saw it last September I pretty much agreed with a buddy from Rome on another boards post about it:

Vivre sa vie (1962) This has got to do with prostitution as much as Inside Llewyn Davis with music. A pity because at the start it seemed that Godard wanted to make a movie. The story it's interesting until the girl gets herself a pimp: from the on it's all a waste of time. Michel Legrand signed probably his worst OST. I give it 6/10 because of the exteriors of Paris.

21 hours ago, laffite said:

I've always gotten so caught up in the diversionary stuff. I don't know how many times I've played that little dance solo. The dance is nothing artistically of course but seeing this lovely of an Anna being so spontaneous and child-like is appealing. And the guy who does the pantomime and funny faces is indeed funny. Now let's see, what was the film about again? Wait though, I'm not trashing the rest of it, just can't seem to remember much right now.

Yes, very very true, Laffite!

Nice touches by Godard do add to the film.

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Saw it last September I pretty much agreed with a buddy from Rome on another boards post about it:

That review was on target, CJ and thanks for posting it. For some reason, Godard tended to bore one after the pimp started posting all the rules for his girls to adhere to. But then, it's Godard so maybe he wanted us to be bored. Probably giving him too much credit. I still enjoyed seeing it though. Thanks, CigarJoe.

10 hours ago, rayban said:

Time has not been kind to this so-called "revolutionary" movie - it uses its' subject matter and drips with a dislike/hatred of women.

There's little noticeable depth.

And absolutely no insight.

"Depth" and "insight" are not terms I associate with Godard.

• Like 2

Me, too. A huge favorite of mine. Delannoy's The Eternal Return (script by Cocteau) is splendidly directed, and This Special Friendship (Les amities particulieres) is simply a masterpiece. I'd love to see more of his films.

I agree with everyone who has said that Godard's films are sometimes stylistically cool. Unfortunately, the films of his I've seen have little else to offer.

• Like 1

Yes, "This Special Friendship" is a masterpiece.

To think that Jean Delannoy was driven off the screen to make way for the members of The New Wave - is unacceptable.

oew6inQZrx8SUosv0xSroiI7Og1.jpg

Francis Lacombrade as Georges (right) and Didier Haudepin as Alexandre (left) give memorable performances in this 1967 film. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings