Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Convoluted Plots

CaveGirl

I'm not talking about plots in a cemetery, though one often feels watching some films is as confusing, as trying to find a grave at Forest Lawn. I'm referring to movies which have convoluted storylines that often seem out of kilter and require one to really pay attention to know what is occurring.

Now don't get me wrong, as I don't use the term convoluted in a pejorative way, since I love confusing plotlines. Nothing more fun than trying to make one's way through a maze. I will say what I do hate though, is being in a theatre with people who are not paying attention, who keep turning to their seatmates saying stuff like "Why is Norman Bates wearing a wig and dress?" or "I don't understand why that baby looks a lot like Keir Dullea" or "Why did Jeffrey Hunter marry that squaw?". Try paying attention, instead of checking your cell phone in the theatre and maybe it will be a lot clearer, as I'm sick of hearing your chatter. Sorry, I had to vent.

Anyway, I enjoy rather confusing storylines like in the Charlie Kaufman movie "Synedoche, New York" or David Lynch's "Inland Empire" which made "Mulholland Drive" seem like child's play to understand.

Name any films you love or hate that have twisting and sometimes confusing storylines, so I will have more films to digest. Thanks for your participation!

• Like 1

Of course the Classic Noir The Big Sleep, then to see the tale follow the novel storyline better (except for the local and time change)) better (and make sense) The Big Sleep (1978).

Once Upon A Time In America

Lost Highway

For years I was turned off by the plot of Vertigo because it didn't make any sense.  It was hard to follow.  Then, I saw the movie in the theater during this year's Fathom Event.  The movie and plot finally clicked for me and I loved it.  While I wouldn't consider it my favorite Hitchcock movie (I think Rear Window wins that title), I like it much better than I used to now that I understand the plot. 

57 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Of course the Classic Noir The Big Sleep, then to see the tale follow the novel storyline better (except for the local and time change)) better (and make sense) The Big Sleep (1978).

Once Upon A Time In America

Lost Highway

Wow, three great examples and I've meandered through all of them. I particularly like being lost on that lost highway. Thanks, CJ!

47 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For years I was turned off by the plot of Vertigo because it didn't make any sense.  It was hard to follow.  Then, I saw the movie in the theater during this year's Fathom Event.  The movie and plot finally clicked for me and I loved it.  While I wouldn't consider it my favorite Hitchcock movie (I think Rear Window wins that title), I like it much better than I used to now that I understand the plot. 

I do remember seeing it the first time and getting a bit confused about Carlotta and her relationship to Madeleine and all. Thanks for a good choice, Speedracer!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings