Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Night Visitor

CaveGirl

For those staying up way late tonight or getting up way early tomorrow morning, TCM is showing TNV.

Directed by Laslo Benedek, and starring the great Max von Sydow and Liv Ullmann, part of the Ingmar Bergman company usually, this film deals with axe murders, madness, insanity, lunatic asylums, revenge and other things I enjoy seeing in a film that I can live through vicariously.

Any other fans here and please state unequivocally if the asylum scenes are accurate, if you've actually been forcibly detained [via a court ruling] to stay in a lunatic asylum. Having never been committed as of yet, I can't speak on that matter. 

I decided to just chance fate and see if I would wake up in time to see "The Night Visitor" and I did with ten minutes to spare. I'm glad I got to see it because it was quite well done.

This movie stars Max von Sydow as a man who was framed for a murder he didn't commit, and then imprisoned in a high security asylum. His mission in life from then on turns out to be a serious intent to avenge this outrage. Proving once again, as in Robert Greene's fine book, "The 48 Laws of Power" that one should always know who they are dealing with, and that by offending the wrong person, you may set in motion the wolf in lamb's clothing, and the serpent with a long memory in a spate of revenge attempts.

Having been taken advantage of by family, including Liv Ullmann, Max manages to escape nightly from his environs in clever ways reminding one a bit of "A Man Escaped" by Robert Bresson. The fact he also is able to fool almost everyone into thinking another is guilty of a series of bloody crimes with his cunning, including as time goes on Trevor Howard, is the bulk of the story. But the film is much more than its parts and has a bang up ending, I shall not reveal. The setting in an austere and chilly looking Sweden was also impressive and added to the film's allure.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I decided to just chance fate and see if I would wake up in time to see "The Night Visitor" and I did with ten minutes to spare. I'm glad I got to see it because it was quite well done.

This movie stars Max von Sydow as a man who was framed for a murder he didn't commit, and then imprisoned in a high security asylum. His mission in life from then on turns out to be a serious intent to avenge this outrage. Proving once again, as in Robert Greene's fine book, "The 48 Laws of Power" that one should always know who they are dealing with, and that by offending the wrong person, you may set in motion the wolf in lamb's clothing, and the serpent with a long memory in a spate of revenge attempts.

Having been taken advantage of by family, including Liv Ullmann, Max manages to escape nightly from his environs in clever ways reminding one a bit of "A Man Escaped" by Robert Bresson. The fact he also is able to fool almost everyone into thinking another is guilty of a series of bloody crimes with his cunning, including as time goes on Trevor Howard, is the bulk of the story. But the film is much more than its parts and has a bang up ending, I shall not reveal. The setting in an austere and chilly looking Sweden was also impressive and added to the film's allure.

Good write up, CG! I also caught the film and enjoyed it as well. I expected it to be kind of cheesy but was pleasantly surprised. The soundtrack was good and the cinematography of the barren Swedish and Danish landscapes were stunning. I somewhat disliked the ending though. I think it should have ended with Anton going to prison and with Von Sydow being released. That would have been a more fitting ending in my opinion. To have the guilty one finally caught for his crimes. Overall it was a good film though. 

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm not the only one who keeps opening this thread expecting it to be about "Amahl & the Night Visitors"?  

(For which the 1955 kinescope finally surfaced on Amazon Prime, after being considered "lost" by the Museum of Broadcasting.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings