Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Do?

ClarkBogart

6 minutes ago, ClarkBogart said:

People in old movies and some TV shows always get in a car through the passenger side?

This question has been bugging me for decades.?

Sometimes it had to do with how they were filming. It was quicker than waiting for the person to walk around the car and get in on the driver's side. It may have had something to do with camera placement. Some people used to get in on the passenger side as walking into the street and opening the door near oncoming traffic to get into the driver's side could be dangerous. 

• Like 1

Or something I always noticed was when 2 dudes would be crowded right next to each other in a car front seat (for the camera I’m sure) with plenty of room for the passenger to slide over a foot. I always thought to myself, that doesn’t look natural, as far as how 2 people would just naturally get into the front seat of a car, AND when these old movies did that with a guy and gal, crowded together like that, which I saw not long ago, they must not have realized it makes it look like they’re together (romantically), which in this particular movie they were not.

Cars in classic films is hilarious. Sometimes the background is fake enough for a child to notice. The play in the steering wheel would tip most cars over.

A tiny element of a movie was made where I use to live. Had to put my dog in the house as his woofs were making it to the film.

They all but bolted the camera to the right side of the car. I am a little sketchy here, but they may have towed the car instead of someone actually driving it. With the camera in front of the windshield, no one knew. This was mid-70s. The film came to TV and it was miserable, but I saw that tiny part on my road.

10 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Cars in classic films is hilarious. Sometimes the background is fake enough for a child to notice. The play in the steering wheel would tip most cars over.

A tiny element of a movie was made where I use to live. Had to put my dog in the house as his woofs were making it to the film.

They all but bolted the camera to the right side of the car. I am a little sketchy here, but they may have towed the car instead of someone actually driving it. With the camera in front of the windshield, no one knew. This was mid-70s. The film came to TV and it was miserable, but I saw that tiny part on my road.

Apparently play in the steering wheel was expected to be more common back then and people drove around all the time on worn out ball joints.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/fud-forum-twisted.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Apparently play in the steering wheel was expected to be more common back then and people drove around all the time on worn out ball joints.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/fud-forum-twisted.gif

And that made it past the censor?

As for play in a steering wheel;   maybe I don't understand what 'play' is but prior to power steering,  one had to turn the steering wheel 'forever' to make a turn,  especially a U-turn.    Isn't that a reason drivers wore gloves or had rubber grips put on the steering wheel?   

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for play in a steering wheel;   maybe I don't understand what 'play' is but prior to power steering,  one had to turn the steering wheel 'forever' to make a turn,  especially a U-turn.    Isn't that a reason drivers wore gloves or had rubber grips put on the steering wheel?   

I can remember that my grandpa had an old Packard that was from the late 40s or early 50s and he had this knob on the steering wheel. The way he used the knob I got the impression that the wheel was difficult to turn otherwise.

I don't remember seeing any of these knobs on newer model cars in the 50s.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That's all true too.  When ball and socket joints in the steering linkage get loose over time, the front wheels are able to turn side to side a bit on their own, due to external factors like road surface and wind.  To compensate, the driver must steer back and forth some.  The worst case I have seen was with unpowered steering on an old 1960s or 70s era van, during the 1990s down in FL, a retirement vehicle that didn't get driven that much.  In order to just keep going straight on a clear sunny day, it seemed the driver sometimes had to turn the steering wheel a quarter turn each way.  It's a wonder the ball joints didn't let go and completely pull out of their sockets.

James and I are nearly the same age. I looked at his profile. Back in the old days, there were plenty of cars before power steering. I didn't drive until the early 70s. No power anything. Three on the tree in the 60s for sure. I'm sure MCOH knows. Windshield wipers that went faster when you let up the gas. Double clutch.

OK, three on the tree ... three speed column shift.

Way back when, Grind it 'till you find it. My old school bus driver could grind a pound finding reverse.

I love all things old!!!

No one ever seemed to use the hand brake or probably even bothered to put it in 'park'. Driver gets out of the car, and it almost always seemed to roll.

Also noticed mostly in 50's or early 60's behemoths (think Buicks or Chryslers) when they'd brake hard, the front end would bounce more than today's lowriders. Guess shocks weren't invented.:lol: 

46 minutes ago, Zea said:

No one ever seemed to use the hand brake or probably even bothered to put it in 'park'. Driver gets out of the car, and it almost always seemed to roll.

Also noticed mostly in 50's or early 60's behemoths (think Buicks or Chryslers) when they'd brake hard, the front end would bounce more than today's lowriders. Guess shocks weren't invented.:lol: 

I hope they are using their parking brake because I see too many cars with their wheel turned the wrong way;  towards the street and NOT towards the curb.      Yea, someone much of told them to turn their wheel,  but not what direction!

35 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I hope they are using their parking brake because I see too many cars with their wheel turned the wrong way;  towards the street and NOT towards the curb.      Yea, someone much of told them to turn their wheel,  but not what direction!

I learned that in driver's ed. Wheels to the curb. Set the parking brake before putting it in park. I use to drive and never cared for anything but small cars. To this day, I would prefer a stick shift versus automatic. You know: 4-on-the-floor, and a 5th underneath the seat. As Dino would say, "I don't drive and drive. I might spill it."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings