Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

REALLY? TWO-DAYS OF LEONARD BERNSTEIN?

Zea

One entire Sat. evening was more than enough. Now I see there's another evening dedicated to Leonard Bernstein & concerts. Is this really TCM-worthy? And if for some inexplicable reason (to me) it is...is it really worth two nights?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zea said:

One entire Sat. evening was more than enough. Now I see there's another evening dedicated to Leonard Bernstein & concerts. Is this really TCM-worthy? And if for some inexplicable reason (to me) it is...is it really worth two nights?

Yea, what is up with that?     Is Steven Spielberg behind this as some type of pre-promotion for his 'remake' of West Side Story?

If TCM wanted to feature music I wish they had shown some 30s - 50s jazz clips \ programs.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The film quality of these programs is far from first-rate.

And the frequent shots of indifferent children was a turn-off.

One angry-looking little girl had too many close-ups.

You could see her going home and having a tantrum.

I could only get through the first program.

But Leonard Bernstein himself was very ingratiating.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea, what is up with that?     Is Steven Spielberg behind this as some type of pre-promotion for his 'remake' of West Side Story?

The Young People's Concerts are considered rare, revolutionary bits of television history, and thus "historical" enough for TCM to dig up and premiere for their library.

That said, I'm also smelling Warner stirring the Spielberg-promotion pot.  Broadway wants to do another big revival so I'm guessing Spielberg will be shut out on West Side Story film rights, and he'll end up doing that historical "Leonard Bernstein biography" he wanted to do instead as a backup.  Probably with Mark Rylance.

• Like 1

Yeah, you're not going to like every tribute on TCM. I don't say anything about the ones I dislike because I realize other people appreciate those line ups and TCM is designed for a wide audience and interests. Tonight is the episode on opera for which I am very appreciative too. That said, I wish they had scheduled the 1977 TV movie of Trouble in Tahiti for this line up. It'd be a really great addition. 

2 hours ago, rayban said:

The film quality of these programs is far from first-rate.

And the frequent shots of indifferent children was a turn-off.

One angry-looking little girl had too many close-ups.

You could see her going home and having a tantrum.

I could only get through the first program.

But Leonard Bernstein himself was very ingratiating.

Yeah, I definitely appreciate Bernstein too but I noticed all the agitated kids in the audience. I was wondering why they felt it necessary to show them instead of focusing on Bernstein.

• Like 1

a perfect example of tcm management's disdain for the wants and desires of their viewership.

it's what they want and not we that matters.

that is why I bought my Sylvania 7" portable DVD player...

my schedule is...

1. Welcome to Hard Times (1967)

2. The Steel Lady (1953)

missed it because tcm likes to get cute with early morning scheduling.

3. The Questor Tapes

Image result for the questor tapes

4. Caligula (1979)

tcm's cuteness will be matched by my greater resourceful cuteness.

:)

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Good thing I need to clean my house and make a grocery list. 

Oh good, you're out of the shower. I can open my eyes now.

10 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, you're not going to like every tribute on TCM. I don't say anything about the ones I dislike because I realize other people appreciate those line ups and TCM is designed for a wide audience and interests.

I don't normally voice complaints, either. I did this time simply due to the preemption of the usual Sunday night programming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

a perfect example of tcm management's disdain for the wants and desires of their viewership.

it's what they want and not we that matters.

that is why I bought my Sylvania 7" portable DVD player...

my schedule is...

1. Welcome to Hard Times

2. The Steel Lady (1953)

missed it because tcm likes to get cute with early morning scheduling.

3. Lubricating lotion and tissue paper.

4. Caligula

tcm's cuteness will be matched by my greater resourceful cuteness.

:)

edited by cj

Just now, LawrenceA said:

I don't normally voice complaints, either. I did this time simply due to the preemption of the usual Sunday night programming. 

lol. That wasn't supposed to be a slight against you.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If TCM wanted to feature music I wish they had shown some 30s - 50s jazz clips \ programs.  

YES!!!

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While we're on the subject of TCM's music programming, I wish they would reschedule Bergman's Magic Flute. It was supposed to be a TCM Import a few years ago hut they took it off the schedule and haven't rescheduled it since.

• Like 2

I just turned down the sound and put on a Metallica CD. Sounds most excellent.

It would have been more entertaining if Lenny had brought along a few Black

Panthers, though that would be an historical anachronism for many of the concerts.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

While we're on the subject of TCM's music programming, I wish they would reschedule Bergman's Magic Flute. It was supposed to be a TCM Import a few years ago hut they took it off the schedule and haven't rescheduled it since.

You can't play too much music on TCM!

4 hours ago, Zea said:

I think three nights were scheduled. 

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

the elitist culture hoy-faloys think their cute.

how about some rare Gerald Fried or Gil Melle music?

that what people are really waiting for.

Well I'm very impressed that you mention Gil Melle;   He was a fine songwriter and musician and he worked with one of my favorite guitar players Tal Farlow.

Gil was also a fine artist doing paintings and sculptures and album covers for jazz greats like Miles, Monk and Rolins. 

But I highly doubt that is what people are waiting for.   Jazz is mostly dead in the USA. Bigger in China and Japan than it is here. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings