Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are your favourite Top 5 WAR films of all time?

I watched *World War II: When Lions Roared* today; strictly speaking it shouldn't be included when discussing war films, because it was made for TV. However, it's also one of the most compelling presentations about the relationships between FDR, Churchill and Stalin that I've ever seen.

Michael Caine is astonishingly good as Stalin, to my ear at least he got the Russian accent just right. John Lithgow is very good as FDR (apparently with only minor makeup in the nose) and Bob Hoskins makes a memorably cranky Winston Churchill.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Four Sons (1928)

Wings (1927)/ The Love Light (1921)...tied

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

Two Arabian Knights (1927)

and fifty years from now...

The Pianist (2002)

We Were Soldiers (2002)

The English Patient (1996)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Schindler's List (1993)

Patton

Full Metal Jacket

The Longest Day

Heartbreak Ridge

All Quiet on The Western Front

On "Full Metal Jacket" R. Lee Ermey was really a drill instructor. I remember Robert Osborne said that the men he instructed hated him! The few times an actor didn't have to act just 'be yourself". Like his "Mail Call" series on The History Channel.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey

A spokesman for Tupperware? Thats one Tupperware Party I like to see. LOL!

Films that are directly about war and soldiers fighting in wars:

1. Apocalypse Now

2. Platoon

3. The Deerhunter

4. On the Beach

These four are pretty much in a class by themselves. Each of them effects me for days after watching, to the point where I have trouble sleeping, they are so horrific. But other really good ones include: Sergeant York, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Dawn Patrol, Objective, Burma!, Command Decision, Run Silent, Run Deep, Stalag 17, The Sands of Iwo Jima, Dam Busters, Pork Chop Hill, Three Comrades, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Films that are about the 'home front' and soldiers returning from war:

1. The Best Years Of Our Lives

2. Yankee Doodle Dandy

3. Since You Went Away

Films set during wars but are largely about the struggle of civilians:

1. Casablanca

2. Doctor Zhivago

3. The English Patient

4. Schindler's List

5. The Killing Fields

Best War Comedy: Operation Petticoat

Real quick, off the top of my head, I'm going with.....

"The Thin Red Line".....Malicks return is absolutely awesome. Sooooo underrated.

Milestones "All Quiet On The Western Front".

"Apocalypse Now".

"Full Metal Jacket"

"Sands Of Iwo Jima"

The last two are films I'm partial to. "Full Metal Jacket" because it accurately describes Parris Island boot camp, and "Sands" because I watched it in boot camp.

"HOO RAH!!!"

hamradio,

I concur that It's gotten beyond absurd that THE BIG PARADE (MGM, 1925), has been in total limbo on TCM for Four years now. Pending the readiness of the new restoration which though completed four years ago as well, still has no musical score recorded, and is probably not yet in digital format for broadcast either? Without a score, stands to right that it wouldn't be!

So frustrating because THE BIG PARADE is much better than 85 to 90% of the films currently in print on commercial DVD from all studios. We are talking about the highest grossing film of the Silent era. Not to mention the film used as the absolute measuring stick for all subsequent movies produced in Hollywood up until GONE WITH THE WIND in 1939.

TCM Programmer Charles Tabesh, has indicated the DVD will almost certainly be forth coming from Warner Home Video in 2009, but I have heard that every year since 2005 from various sources, and nothing has happened. He is anxious to air the newly mastered and 20 minute longer version as soon as He can, after seeing it at a live screening last year. In the meantime, He passed on running the older Thames version for the 90th Anniversary of Armistice Day, in November, which He could have done.

No it's not the last great Silent, there were numerous others made after THE BIG PARADE. Three more films that fit into the War Category WHAT PRICE GLORY?, THE PATENT LEATHER KID, and SEVENTH HEAVEN are among them. Really the list is quite numerous. Someone mentioned John Ford's FOUR SONS (1928), though the film loses allot without it's vintage Movie-tone track.

Ham,

While Warners restored *The Big Parade* a few years back, the restoration took longer than anticipated.

Warners screened the film with a live orchestra at some film festivals and here in Los Angeles in connection with the Academy.

However, because they found the original roadshow version and restored that version, they could not use the original score nor the Carl Davis score that he had done for the shorter Brownlow restoration.

A new score had to be commissioned and recorded. This all happened about the time the economy began to nose dive and the DVD market began to fall and flat line. Many of the older films that Warners had hoped to restore were put on the back burner because of budgetary concerns.

The good news, according to Gagman earlier this summer, was that TCMProgrammr was trying to get the newly restored version of *The Big Parade* for broadcast. Which sounds like perhaps a score has finally been recorded and the film may be coming to DVD.

If that is the case, Warners will probably have a big marketing campaign for the release of the DVD as it is one of the most anticipated silents to debut on DVD and will probably do some sort of campaign with TCM to air and market the DVD.

"Where is King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE on these lists???"

Yeah. I knew I'd miss a few. I doubt thats the only one. Actually, considering your preference, I missed DW Griffiths epic as well.

5 is too short a list. Actually, I hate war,but love war movies. Go figure!

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> > Someone mentioned John Ford's FOUR SONS (1928), though the film loses allot without it's vintage Movie-tone track.

>

> What did they use for the DVD?

The Erno-Rapee-Lew Pollack, Maurice Barron, Movie-Tone track including the haunting "Little Mother" composition was completely ripped away. Fox replaced the Movie-tone score with new music by Christopher Caliendo. A solid score, but lacking the beauty, and emotional punch of the original by a wide margin.

Lynn,

In all honesty, The restoration of the film elements of THE BIG PARADE didn't take all that long. Warner's started working on it in mid 2003, and completed the project in 2004. The camera negative was found in 1997 though at Eastman House. So it took them that long just to make a fine-grain master print. Now it's been another Four years that have gone by, and we are still waiting for a DVD to emerge. The lack of a recorded score pushing this event back year, after year.

Unfortunately, according to Rodney Sauer of Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, the chances of Warner's having Robert Israel, and his orchestra or anyone else for that matter, recording the original William Axt, David Mendoza 1925 score that has been performed live at a handful of screenings of the new restoration are likely slim to none!

This because of probable copyright restrictions on various music pieces that Axt, and Mendoza used. He basically said that those could potentially drive up production cost to the point where Warner's felt it just wasn't worth it? Much cheaper to commission and all new score, by some nobody! Well, all I can say is, I sure hope He is wrong about this!

I know that the majority of the vintage score, Carl Davis used allot of in the Thames version too, so it should be mostly Public Domain Material? Still with some themes perhaps still under copyright this could well explain allot more about why Warner's did not have Israel record the score back in 2005, when He was touring with the film???

Charles Tabesh was confident that the new version was coming out on DVD in 2009, and thus THE BIG PARADE would also finally be returning to TCM next year as well. Yet I'm very sorry to say that He could provide no details on the scoring, or if the Thames version re-mastered would also be included with the release or not? I would be appalled to see this landmark film given some inferior score! Especially, when I am so used to the Davis one. Only the Axt-Mendoza score would be comparable, since it contains a fair amount of the same music.

For all the people waiting patiently to see this film, have you voted for a DVD release on the TCM Movie Data Base??? Let's get those vote numbers way up! This picture should have significantly more votes than it does!

*Yet I'm very sorry to say that He could provide no details on the scoring, or if the Thames version re-mastered would also be included with the release or not?>>*

Jeffrey,

He may not know or could be waiting on an email from someone at Warners to get back to you about.

I would imagine that his job does keep him pretty busy.

gagman66 wrote

<< The Erno-Rapee-Lew Pollack, Maurice Barron, Movie-Tone track including the haunting "Little Mother" composition was completely ripped away. Fox replaced the Movie-tone score with new music by Christopher Caliendo. A solid score, but lacking the beauty, and emotional punch of the original by a wide margin. >>

LOL! Lew Pollack, did you know he co-scored the music for the movie "Captain January" 1936? It is also "Movietone Music"

He's the type of composer that has "different moods" like Henry Mancini and Alan Silvestri. Oh yes Alan Silvestri, he composed the chilling music for "Predator" and the Hawaiian style music for "Lilo and Stitch"! Go figure.