Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

Thanks, Terrence. Yes, this is a very interesting story. Here's another weird thing -- when you do a general search about stolen footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theater, you can't really find any information about this subject. I figured out the answer based on your clues alone. Once I searched for the information with Edmund Purdom's name, I found quite a few articles about the subject. Some of those articles merely say that his footprint slab was missing or lost. Some seem to imply that the slab was stolen. Only a couple of sources mention that the slab was intentionally removed and replaced. Personally, I think that the removed/replaced story may be true. Like you said, why would anyone want to steal his imprint slab? (especially since there were actors who were much more famous than he was) It seems that Edmund Purdom's imprint ceremony was basically a publicity stunt for the film (The Egyptian). Gotta love Hollywood!

:lol:

===

Next: There are so many interesting stories about the imprints at Grauman's Chinese Theater. Here's a list of 10 questions about this famous tourist attraction. The person who has the most correct answers will be declared the winner.

1.) Movie stars have been leaving their imprints at Grauman's Chinese Theater since the 1920s. How did this tradition get started? (There's actually more than one story, so you can tell me all of them or just one of them.)

2.) A certain actor's imprint ceremony happened to take place on Friday the 13th. To show that he wasn't superstitious, he posed for pictures while standing under a ladder. He also held a black cat. What's the name of this actor?

3.) A certain glamorous actress dotted the "i" in her name with a rhinestone. (Someone later chiseled the rhinestone out and stole it.) Who was the actress?

4.) Three different horses have their hooves imprinted at Grauman's. What are the horses' names and what are the names of the actors who rode them?

5.) Instead of leaving his handprints, a certain actor left an imprint of his fist. Who was it?

6.) As a joke, a certain actor put a prosthetic 6th finger on his left hand. He then proceeded to make the handprints. Who was this actor?

7.) As most people would expect, Jimmy Durante made an imprint of his famous schnozz. However, he was not the only person to do this. Two other actors decided to immortalize their noses in cement. Who were they?

8.) A certain actress put 3 pennies in her imprint slab for good luck. What was her name?

9.) An animated Disney character has his footprints at Grauman's. Which character is it? (Believe it or not, it's not Mickey Mouse!) (Bonus points for naming the voice actor who signed his name on the slab.)

10.) To promote their film, two actresses had their imprint ceremonies at the same time. One of them supposedly suggested that she leave an imprint of her backside while the other woman left an imprint of her....ahem....front side. (They weren't allowed to do this.) Who were these two actresses and what film were they promoting?

The only one I can answer without doing any research is #10.  The two actresses were Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell and the movie was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

The only one I can answer without doing any research is #10. The two actresses were Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell and the movie was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Yes, that's correct, Star. Don't worry, I think that most people will need to do some research for these. Some of the answers may not be so easy to find.

Here are a couple of pictures of Marilyn and Jane at their imprint ceremony.

j7c2Mo3.jpg?1

YDV7V4p.jpg?1

Only 9 more questions to go, folks!

:)

#1)

For all the years that I've been studying Hollywood and the Stars, I never knew the answer to this question until last week.

I found it on a miscellaneous documentary about Hollywood that I just by chance watched last week.

Sid Grauman was putting the finishing touches on Grauman's Chinese Theatre and he was looking for some kind of a gimmick to further publicize the place.

He had spent a lot of money and everything was very authentic-looking.

I can't remember why he was at Pickfair, but he was and he saw something interesting.

Mary was having some kind of a driveway put in in front of the estate and they had just laid the cement-- now I can't remember if it was her dog or her horse had gotten foot prints all over the drive and ruined it.

Why or how Sid took it from there I can't remember - - but it is a good story and I had never heard it before.

Princess -- Good job! Yes, that's one of the stories that I remember reading. Another story is that Sid Grauman invited silent screen star Norma Talmadge to see the construction of the theater and she accidentally stepped in wet cement. This incident inspired him to get other actors to put their footprints in cement. Another story is that Sid invited Norma, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. to the construction site and all 3 of the actors accidentally stepped in wet cement. Supposedly, these original footprints are being kept somewhere. I've heard a couple of other stories, but I won't post those right now. Since all of the people who know the truth are no longer with us, I guess we'll never know what the real story is. One thing we do know for sure is that Norma Talmadge, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. were the first 3 actors to put their imprints in cement for the theater.

Here's Norma Talmadge and Sid Grauman at Norma's imprint ceremony.

yFDs61A.jpg?1

4df6c65ed49a97d64cbe49509d0a85b9--norma-

Here's a picture of Sid, Mary and Douglas at Mary and Douglas' imprint ceremony.

3IOxKjL.jpg

np6WKYQ.jpg?1

UA2K0If.jpg?1

#2.  James Stewart in 1948?

#8.  Jean Harlow?

Correct and correct!  Good job, Film Lover.

Here's the very un-superstitious James Stewart at his imprint ceremony.

DyctGHh.jpg?1

OESCUPx.jpg

Here's Jean Harlow pointing at the three lucky pennies in her imprint slab. 

8eN6rrk.jpg?1

b6iaIUj.jpg?1

• Like 1

Four down and six more to go, folks!  These are the questions that we still need answers for --

3.) A certain glamorous actress dotted the "i" in her name with a rhinestone. (Someone later chiseled the rhinestone out and stole it.) Who was the actress?

4.) Three different horses have their hooves imprinted at Grauman's. What are the horses' names and what are the names of the actors who rode them?

5.) Instead of leaving his handprints, a certain actor left an imprint of his fist. Who was it?

6.) As a joke, a certain actor put a prosthetic 6th finger on his left hand. He then proceeded to make the handprints. Who was this actor?

7.) As most people would expect, Jimmy Durante made an imprint of his famous schnozz. However, he was not the only person to do this. Two other actors decided to immortalize their noses in cement. Who were they?

9.) An animated Disney character has his footprints at Grauman's. Which character is it? (Believe it or not, it's not Mickey Mouse!) (Bonus points for naming the voice actor who signed his name on the slab.)

3.  I think this is Marilyn Monroe...but I've also read that her jewel was a dropped earring..so it may be someone else...

4.  the horses were Trigger, Tony (Tom Mix), and Champion (Gene Autrey), I think...

9.  I actually remember seeing Donald Duck's footprints years ago...had to look up the fellow who signed his name...it was Clarence Nash

3.  I think this is Marilyn Monroe...but I've also read that her jewel was a dropped earring..so it may be someone else...

4.  the horses were Trigger, Tony (Tom Mix), and Champion (Gene Autrey), I think...

9.  I actually remember seeing Donald Duck's footprints years ago...had to look up the fellow who signed his name...it was Clarence Nash

You got them all correct, Shutoo.  Good job!  I have also heard that it was Marilyn Monroe's earring, but I've also heard that it was a ring.  Some stories just mention that it was rhinestone, so that's what I went with.  I think that the earring story may be true because some people have claimed that the backing is still embedded in the cement.  I read that Marilyn really wanted to put a diamond in the imprint slab (a nod to the "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" song), but she was advised not to. 

Here's Marilyn Monroe's imprint slab, which was made at the same time as Jane Russell's.  (Pictures of Marilyn and Jane at their imprint ceremony can be found further down in the thread.)

UV8O7ob.jpg?2

Here's Trigger getting his hooves imprinted. 

7QaqYHp.jpg?1

Trigger's rider, Roy Rogers, also left an imprint of his gun (a couple of other actors did this, too). 

o8vz6vY.jpg?1

Here's Donald Duck immortalizing his webbed feet in cement.

TVYLEhh.jpg?1

LltmatK.jpg

5.) John Wayne?

6.) Mel Brooks?

7.) John Barrymore & W.C. Fields?

You got the first 2 right, Film Lover. The answers for #7 are not correct. John Barrymore made an imprint of the side of his face (since he was known as "The Great Profile").

Here's John Wayne making a fist print in his imprint slab.

2X5x43M.jpg?1

tXq2gx4.jpg?1

Here's Mel Brooks showing off his cement-covered hands (with a prosthetic 6th finger on his left hand).

ae8hzIl.jpg?1

b6SX64C.jpg?1

• Like 1

Only one more question left! 

Here are some hints --

- One of the actors was a comedian who often joked about his own nose. 

- The other actor is a modern-day star who is from Asia.

Is Bob Hope the comedian?

Jackie Chan is the Asian star?

You got it!  Good job, Lawrence. 

Here's Bob Hope making an imprint of his nose (with some assistance from Dorothy Lamour). 

wzeKx5Y.jpg?1

To the left of Bob Hope's name you can see the imprint of his nose.  It's a little hard to see it, but underneath it he wrote the words "my nose". 

ahq5aNn.jpg

Here's Jackie Chan immortalizing his nose in cement.  I'm not sure why he did this.  Maybe it was just for fun? 

ozoBLK2.jpg?1

cqEyhgx.jpg

Film Lover had 4 correct answers, so Film Lover is the winner. Congrats!

:)

ijwuLo6.png?1

The thread is all yours, F.L.

"I shall awaken memories of love...and crime...and death".  Please name the film this quote is from, as well as the actor who says this, and the actor/tress who is spoken to, and  please name the roles the actors play.

"I shall awaken memories of love...and crime...and death".  Please name the film this quote is from, as well as the actor who says this, and the actor/tress who is spoken to, and  please name the roles the actors play.

One of my favorites, I have 3 copies of the film THE MUMMY. Boris Karloff as Imhotep speaks these words to Helen ( Zita Johann) ??????

Thanks Filmlover

These 2 Oscar winning actresses were in a film together ( both won Oscars for different films)

In the film they appear together in, they play enemies, and that sentiment continued off-screen. 

They couldn't stand each other in the film and in real life.  Who were the 2 actresses and the film they were in together ???

This seems too easy, but is the answer Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

This seems too easy, but is the answer Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Well, you're half right, one of those actresses is part of the correct answer. That is not the film my question is about.

That's a clue in itself, but here's another. One of the actresses won Best Actress ( for another film) the other actress won Best Supporting Actress ( for another film )

Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge in Johnny Guitar?

Correct Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge and the film was Johnny Guitar. Not only were the characters they played battling with each other, the 2 actresses were during filming and Mercedes said very unflattering things about Crawford after the film was finished and she also said that Crawford did her best to see that McCambridge was prevented from being hired for film work after the film was completed.

What's interesting is that Crawford was responsible for having McCambridge getting the role of Emma in the first place. Ok, good job, your thread Arsan.

Thank you, lavender.

These two actresses:

- played the same iconic villainess -one was nominated for an Oscar, the other one won and Emmy for it;

- got rave reviews on Broadway and won Tonys playing the same title character;

- were made Dames of the British Empire.

Name the two actresses, the characters they played, and their favorite Brady Bunch kid.