• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

Thanks lavender.

Story time again.

Once upon a time, 2 songwriters were hired to write songs for a movie musical.  While talking to one of the supporting actors, they were inspired to write a song that was eventually used in the movie.

Name the songwriters, the song, the movie, and the inspirational supporting actor.

The movie is Gigi, the songwriters are Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe and the song they came up with after a discussion with Maurice Chevalier was I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore.

This animal lover made a lifelong commitment to stop the abuse of animals because of the way the animals were being treated during the making of this movie.

Name the animal loving star and the movie.

6 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

This animal lover made a lifelong commitment to stop the abuse of animals because of the way the animals were being treated during the making of this movie.

Name the animal loving star and the movie.

Doris Day and The Man Who Knew Too Much. she noticed that the camels and other animals were not being fed and given water often enough ? I read about this years ago.

Thanks Star ( ps White Banners wasn't the film I was thinking about ) but it works :)

next

This film  was suppose to shot in B&W but the director insisted the film be in color because of something in the appearance of the two stars. Film, the director, the 2 stars and what was that something??????

I'm guessing it's "Du Barry Was A Lady".  The director was Roy Del Ruth.  He probably wanted it in color to show the red hair of Lucille Ball and Red Skelton.  This may have been the first movie where Lucy had red hair.

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I'm guessing it's "Du Barry Was A Lady".  The director was Roy Del Ruth.  He probably wanted it in color to show the red hair of Lucille Ball and Red Skelton.  This may have been the first movie where Lucy had red hair.

That's an excellent guess Miles, however, I have no way to know if Du Barry Was A Lady was originally planned in b&w rather than color but I do know that the film I'm thinking about was and I already wrote that the film is based on a famous hit stage play.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Both the stars were Oscar winners ( for other films) although both were nominated for this film

This just came to me out of the blue because my mother took me to see this when I was very little and she couldn't get a babysitter.

The Technicolor in this movie just thrilled me cuz I obviously didn't know what was going on. My mother kept on commenting on Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes and how that was so unusual. And it was based on the Tennessee Williams hit play, so I'm going to guess "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". And I eventually figured out many years later what the movie was all about. LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This just came to me out of the blue because my mother took me to see this when I was very little and she couldn't get a babysitter.

The Technicolor in this movie just thrilled me cuz I obviously didn't know what was going on. My mother kept on commenting on Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes and how that was so unusual. And it was based on the Tennessee Williams hit play, so I'm going to guess "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". And I eventually figured out many years later what the movie was all about. LOL

You're 1/2 right about the stars, who was the other star and what was so special that he would be better filmed in color?

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

You're 1/2 right about the stars, who was the other star and what was so special that he would be better filmed in color?

Paul Newman was the other star who was nominated for an Academy Award for this movie but won for another one. And he had blue eyes.

Plus you've got to see that movie on the big screen!

I have seen Cat On A Hot Tin Roof on the big screen. I've also met Elizabeth Taylor, spent 3 1/2 hrs with her at the Plaza Hotel when I was 15 1/2 years old and I can swear that her eyes are VIOLET! Richard Brooks insisted the film be in color because of Elizabeth's eyes and because of Paul Newman's  striking blue eyes. Both Taylor's and Newman's eyes were something that the public talked about so because of that Brooks insisted the film be shot in color. Up until that point, most of Tennessee Williams plays that were made into films were shot in black and white.

Good thinking Princess, your thread :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I have seen Cat On A Hot Tin Roof on the big screen. I've also met Elizabeth Taylor, spent 3 1/2 hrs with her at the Plaza Hotel when I was 15 1/2 years old and I can swear that her eyes are VIOLET! Richard Brooks insisted the film be in color because of Elizabeth's eyes and because of Paul Newman's  striking blue eyes. Both Taylor's and Newman's eyes were something that the public talked about so because of that Brooks insisted the film be shot in color. Up until that point, most of Tennessee Williams plays that were made into films were shot in black and white.

Good thinking Princess, your thread :)

Not so fast Eloise-- What were you doing with Elizabeth Taylor at the Plaza Hotel for 3 and 1/2 hours? And did it have anything to do with diamonds?

39 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Not so fast Eloise-- What were you doing with Elizabeth Taylor at the Plaza Hotel for 3 and 1/2 hours? And did it have anything to do with diamonds?

Yes, fake ones. I've told this before. My sister ran the showroom of a famous costume jewelry designer. He catered to the rich and famous and most were his own designs, some copies of David Webb, Harry Winston, Cartier, Tiffany, etc. When the rich and famous would go on cruises, vacations, whatever, the real stuff usually went into the vault and they wore the knock offs. btw, the knock offs were still very expensive. He also sold retail.   I worked there every summer for years. I worked in publicity, celebrities would also rent jewelry for tv appearances, films and magazine ads. I met so many celebrities in the 1960's. Jackie O, Truman Capote, Hedy Lamarr, Sophia Loren, Faye Dunaway, Ali MacGraw,, Joan Rivers, Diana Ross and a ton of designers, Oscar de la Renta, Kasper, Halston, Bill Blass.

One afternoon after lunch, my sister called me in publicity and said she had the buyer form Bonwits coming and she could not go with the asst. designer. The asst and I took a cab to the Plaza, Elizabeth answered the door. This was in the mid '60's. she was gorgeous. Short, big busted. Her hair was up in a pony tail fall and she was wearing black and white lounging pajamas. Her eyes were PURPLE, rimed in thick black eyelashes. It was impossible to take your eyes off of her eyes. The color was incredible. She was lovely and charming. Richard Burton was in the adjoining room she said but he wasn't coming out. I was very quiet while the asst showed her the jewelry. I was there just to write things up and model a piece. When we were done, Elizabeth got up first, walked over to the chair I was in, bent down, extended her hand to me and said that I was a lovely young woman and it was a pleasure to meet me. I nearly died. I thought I'd never wash my hand again LOL.

Believe me, my sister really met them all, and her stories were amazing. She became good friends with Ali MacGraw. Faye Dunaway, she even lunched with Lauren Bacall and they became friendly.

btw, that's not the only time I met Jackie, but that's for another time!

ps. My daughters loved Eloise we use to read the story all the time when they were little.

Princess, it's still your thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lavenderblue, what an amazing story.  Is Elizabeth Taylor’s eye color the inspiration for your name here?

50 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Lavenderblue, what an amazing story.  Is Elizabeth Taylor’s eye color the inspiration for your name here?

Thanks Arturo. Not for Elizabeth's eye color but love the color and the nursery rhyme and the song

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Paul Newman was the other star who was nominated for an Academy Award for this movie but won for another one. And he had blue eyes.

Plus you've got to see that movie on the big screen!

Princess, found this on the bottom of page 2, it's still your thread

This Mack Sennett Bathing Beauty became a versatile actress who was equally at home in dramas, comedies and musicals.

This Oscar nominated actress also worked with Hitchcock.

When you identify this actress also mention her Oscar nominated role and your favorite film which she appeared in.

Sounds like Carole Lombard.  Early in her career, she was a Mack Sennett bathing beauty.  Later she was nominated for an Oscar for My Man Godfrey and she worked with Alfred Hitchcock when she made Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  Although most people remember her for her screwball comedies, I think my favorite film of hers in In Name Only

• Like 2