Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

Just now, KarmaGirl said:

Wild Guess -- Sybil Jason?

You got it, KarmaGirl!

Since lavenderblue answered first, she should probably take the thread if she wants it.  If not, then you can take it.

5 hours ago, starliteyes said:

You got it, KarmaGirl!

Since lavenderblue answered first, she should probably take the thread if she wants it.  If not, then you can take it.

Thanks Star, KarmaGirl is welcome to take the thread and post the next question

13 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Star, KarmaGirl is welcome to take the thread and post the next question

Looks as though the thread is yours, KarmaGirl.

This movie was supposed to be one of the biggest epics ever.  It had a long production history, with changes in actors, director and script along the way.  The highly anticipated film got mixed reviews.   fIn the end, it’s notoriety made it a top grosser, but due to the cost of the film, it was not a big money maker for the studio.

16 minutes ago, Arturo said:

This movie was supposed to be one of the biggest epics ever.  It had a long production history, with changes in actors, director and script along the way.  The highly anticipated film got mixed reviews.   fIn the end, it’s notoriety made it a top grosser, but due to the cost of the film, it was not a big money maker for the studio.

Cleopatra?

14 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Cleopatra?

Good try Princess.  However it is another film.

The actress who ended up doing this film, was a popular contract player at the studio.  Everyone thought that the role would make her a superstar upon release.  While her status was enhanced, like the film, it fell short of expectations.

• Haha 1

Starliteyes, you got it!

I remember as a kid when I first focused on Linda Darnell and her career, it was reading a biographical sketch in a book called “The Lonely Beauties”.  It had a description of FOREVER AMBER as the CLEOPATRA of its day, similar to my original post.  So Princess of Tap cannot be faulted with her response.

Your turn starliteyes.

• Thanks 1

Arturo, I have to admit that if Princess of Tap hadn't already guessed that it was Cleopatra, that's what I would have guessed, too.  It was your next clue that did it for me.  When you said "the actress who ended up doing this film," I remembered that Peggy Cummins was originally cast in Forever Amber, but she wasn't working out and was replaced with Linda Darnell.

Next:  The head of the studio disliked this film so much that he took it out of circulation.  About a decade later, it was re-released and did good business, especially at the drive-ins.

Studio head and movie?

• Like 1

About a year or so after its re-release, the star of the film met with an untimely death, making the film in even greater demand for its television debut.

The movie is 1947's "Nightmare Alley", which was a departure for star Tyrone Power from his usual hero roles.  Studio chief Darryl F. Zanuck pulled it from release because he didn't want Power's fans to see him in that kind of role.  Powers died in 1958 while filming "Solomon And Sheba".  The re-release of "Nightmare Alley" did fine at the box office.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The movie is 1947's "Nightmare Alley", which was a departure for star Tyrone Power from his usual hero roles.  Studio chief Darryl F. Zanuck pulled it from release because he didn't want Power's fans to see him in that kind of role.  Powers died in 1958 while filming "Solomon And Sheba".  The re-release of "Nightmare Alley" did fine at the box office.

Once again you have come through, Miles!  I don't know what we'd do without you.

The thread is all yours.

Thanks, Star.  In this movie, an actor playing a monstrous creature was called upon to throw a woman through a window.  Unfortunately, he couldn't do it because he had a bad back.  Another principal actor in the film put on the monster makeup and threw the woman through the window.  He just put on the makeup for that one scene in the movie, but he had previously played the creature in another movie.  Can you name the actors and the movie?  

I'm just guessing but it's probably Bela Lugosi in "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman". And since Lon Jr was already there anyway he donned the Frankenstein makeup and did the deed.

I don't remember this whole thing exactly, but I do know that Lon had to bail Bela out in some scene during that movie because Bela really was not well enough to be playing Frankenstein with all that heavy costume.

You are close, Princess, but it's not Bela that Lon Jr. subbed for, and it's not "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman".  This movie is a comic horror movie.

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

You are close, Princess, but it's not Bela that Lon Jr. subbed for, and it's not "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman".  This movie is a comic horror movie.

Yeah, I know he did that for "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein". But I think he also did it for Bela.

But the reason I didn't mention Glenn Strange in that Abbott and Costello movie, he played Frankenstein, is because I thought he had hurt his ankle during production and not his back.

Ironically, it's the only Abbott and Costello movie I could sit all the way through and actually enjoy. I think Lon gives one of his best Wolf Man interpretations in this movie. That alone makes it worth watching

Princess, you are correct, of course.  Lon Jr. had played the Frankenstein monster in "The Ghost Of Frankenstein".  In fact, in his years at Universal,  he got to play Dracula, The Wolf Man, and The Mummy as well.

Princess, it's your turn now.

• Thanks 1

On Location

Name at least two post-war(50s & 60s) Hollywood films shot on location in the following locales**(

*(Second unit footage with stand-ins don't count)

Africa

Paris

Italy

East Asia

Bon Voyage!

On 12/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, Princess of Tap said:

On Location

Name at least two post-war(50s & 60s) Hollywood films shot on location in the following locales**(

*(Second unit footage with stand-ins don't count)

Africa

Paris

Italy

East Asia

Bon Voyage!

Hint#1-- Starring top box-office stars of the 1950s

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1-- Starring top box-office stars of the 1950s

Italy -  Three Coins In A Fountain - Two Women - The Pink Panther - The Barefoot Contessa - Two Weeks In Another Town

Paris - Charade,  Funny Face

East Asia - Love Is A Many Splendored Thing  -  Sayonara

Africa - The African Queen - King Solomon Mines - Mogambo

?????????

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Italy -  Three Coins In A Fountain - Two Women - The Pink Panther - The Barefoot Contessa - Two Weeks In Another Town

Paris - Charade,  Funny Face

East Asia - Love Is A Many Splendored Thing  -  Sayonara

Africa - The African Queen - King Solomon Mines - Mogambo

?????????

Lav, excellent work! And those movies are some beautiful location Technicolor shoots.

I'm looking forward to your next question.