Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

I believe it's Doris Day in "My Dream Is Yours'.  It was only her second film and the second of three that she made with Jack Carson.  It was a remake of "Twenty Million Sweethearts" from 1934 that had starred Dick Powell and Ginger Rogers.    The original introduced the song "I'll String Along With You", and Doris sings that song in this remake.  In the movie, Doris is a  widow with a young son.   In real life, she had a young son who she often had to leave with his grandmother while she pursued her show biz career.   Here's Doris:

Here's Dick  and Ginger:

Thank You Miles, I was about to give up, the clues were all there and it's an important plot point in My Dream Is Yours and I figured some would know Doris' background by now. At any rate, thanks for answering, wish you'd stay on the bds more often. Good work, your thread :):)

Thanks, Lavender.  I wish I could be on the boards more often too, but, as someone once said, sometimes REAL life gets in the way of REEL life.

Now,  this next one is a bit of a stretch because it really has nothing to do with the movie that I refer to.  If you watched the clip that I posted from "Twenty Million Sweethearts", you saw a band leader who was one of the leading band leaders of the day.  Some years after this movie was made, a young man would play in that band before World War II interrupted his musical career.  This young musician would go on to become the leader of a band on a long running TV show.  Can you name him and the TV show?   Here is a hint:  He became known for wearing rather gaudy outfits.  

10 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  I wish I could be on the boards more often too, but, as someone once said, sometimes REAL life gets in the way of REEL life.

Now,  this next one is a bit of a stretch because it really has nothing to do with the movie that I refer to.  If you watched the clip that I posted from "Twenty Million Sweethearts", you saw a band leader who was one of the leading band leaders of the day.  Some years after this movie was made, a young man would play in that band before World War II interrupted his musical career.  This young musician would go on to become the leader of a band on a long running TV show.  Can you name him and the TV show?   Here is a hint:  He became known for wearing rather gaudy outfits.  

The Tonight Show ( Johnny Carson ) and the bandleader would be Doc Severinsen ??

Yes, the band leader in "Twenty Million Sweethearts" was Ted Fio Rito.    In the early 1940's, a young horn player named Carl "Doc" Severinsen joined his band.  After leaving for military service, Doc returned, but he then played for several different bands for some years before becoming a member of "The Tonight Show" orchestra, which was led by Skitch Henderson when Johnny Carson took over the show from Jack Paar.  Skitch Henderson left after a short time and was replaced by Milton DeLugg, who worked for NBC in a number of musical capacities.  When he eventually left, Doc Severinsen was pulled from the band to become the new leader.  He stayed until Johnny's retirement.  

3734365238_27df9e565f_b.jpg 

Nice work, Lavender.  You get to go next.

There were two brothers who were both character actors and their movie careers were both mainly in the 1930's and 1940's.  One almost always played kind, gentle souls who could be somewhat  irascible at times, but always was on the side of right.  His brother, however, played characters who tended to be suspects in crime stories.  Sometimes his character was guilty, and sometimes not, but he almost always played a suspect.  Most of his movies were grade "B' mysteries or romantic dramas where he played a supporting character.  These two brothers bore a resemblance to each other.  They are not George Sanders and Tom Conway who, of course, were leading men.

Do you know who these two brothers were?

Yes, you are correct, Starliteyes.  Frank Morgan will forever be known as "The Wizard Of Oz", but he was in many fine films in his career, including "The Great Ziegfeld", "The Mortal Storm", "The Shop Around The Corner", and "The White Cliffs Of Dover".   You may remember Ralph Morgan in films like "The Kennel Murder Case", "The Orient Express", and "Anthony Adverse".  

Frank Morgan-publicity.JPG   Ralph Morgan Picture  

Frank Morgan                                                         Ralph Morgan  

Good work, Starlit.  You get to go next.

• Thanks 2

In the opening scene of this classic film, a painting of a blonde is seen.  The painting was actually a retouched photo of an actress who was under contract at the studio.  She did not appear in the film, only in the photo.

Name the actress and the film.

The male star of the movie and a supporting actress in it had played mother and son a few years earlier in another film, but in this film they didn't have any exchange of dialogue between them.

The supporting actress mentioned in the clue above won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role in the previous film with the male star.

Star, you have me stomped, didn't want you to think I'm not trying, I've thought of quite a few actresses but none fit all the the clues. Would you narrow the film down somehow, like a time period, or what type of film was it ??

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Star, you have me stomped, didn't want you to think I'm not trying, I've thought of quite a few actresses but none fit all the the clues. Would you narrow the film down somehow, like a time period, or what type of film was it ??

I have to admit that I'm really surprised that no one has gotten it by now because I thought I gave really good clues, especially the one about the actress committing suicide.  Oh, well, let's see if this helps:

The film is a 20th Century Fox movie released during the first half of the 1940's.

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I have to admit that I'm really surprised that no one has gotten it by now because I thought I gave really good clues, especially the one about the actress committing suicide.  Oh, well, let's see if this helps:

The film is a 20th Century Fox movie released during the first half of the 1940's.

The very tragic Carole Landis and The Ox Bow Incident. is the film.I haven't seen The Ox Bow Incident in many decades. I figured it was Carole Landis from  the start but forgot about this film. Jane Darwell and Henry Fonda played mother and son in The Grapes of Wrath. Darwell won best supporting actress for The Grapes of Wrath.

• Like 1

Thanks for hanging in there, lav.  It paid off because you got it.  In lieu of a prize, I give you this thread.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, starliteyes said:

Thanks for hanging in there, lav.  It paid off because you got it.  In lieu of a prize, I give you this thread.

Thanks but I'd rather have cash LOL. I'm kidding, always a pleasure to answer  and learn from one of your questions Star :)

next

A tense drama with an excellent main cast also had a very large cast of bit and uncredited actors that went on to become well known. In the main cast in a supporting role, was an actor whose son had an uncredited  bit role in the same film who went on to film and tv success.  What was the Film, who was the father and name another film the dad was in and name the son who achieved some fame in films and name another film the son was in and his popular TV show ????

• Like 1