Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daneldorado

Movie Trivia

I have not seen the film, but based on your clues I'm guessing that it's Fourteen Hours.  Robert Keith was in the film, as well as his son Brian Keith, who was an extra.  Brian Keith went on to greater fame in the TV series A Family Affair.  Another film that Robert Keith was in was Guys and Dolls, and another film that Brian Keith was in was Tight Spot.  The beautiful blonde Oscar winner making her film debut was Grace Kelly.

2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I have not seen the film, but based on your clues I'm guessing that it's Fourteen Hours.  Robert Keith was in the film, as well as his son Brian Keith, who was an extra.  Brian Keith went on to greater fame in the TV series A Family Affair.  Another film that Robert Keith was in was Guys and Dolls, and another film that Brian Keith was in was Tight Spot.  The beautiful blonde Oscar winner making her film debut was Grace Kelly.

You got that right, Star. Good job, your thread :)

In this 1950’s remake of an earlier musical, the star of the film imitates the star of the original version in his opening number.  A little later on, he does a very quick imitation of one of the female stars of the second version of this musical.  Yes, the 1950’s version is the third remake.

Name the film, the male star and who he was imitating in both cases.  Also name his co-stars, the titles of the two earlier versions and the stars in those films.

The first and third versions take place in France, while the second version takes place in South America.

Let's go in order.  The first film is "Follies Bergere De Paris"(1935) with Maurice Chevalier, Merle Oberon, and Ann Sothern.   The second version is "That Night In Rio" (1941) with Don Ameche, Alice Faye, and Carmen Miranda.  The third version is "On The Riviera" (1951) with Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney, and Corinne Calvet.  Danny does imitations of both Maurice Chevalier and Carmen Miranda. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Let's go in order.  The first film is "Follies Bergere De Paris"(1935) with Maurice Chevalier, Merle Oberon, and Ann Sothern.   The second version is "That Night In Rio" (1941) with Don Ameche, Alice Faye, and Carmen Miranda.  The third version is "On The Riviera" (1951) with Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney, and Corinne Calvet.  Danny does imitations of both Maurice Chevalier and Carmen Miranda. 

Excellent, Miles - as usual.  20th Century Fox sure did like to remake their films, and they didn't even wait all that long to do them.

Your up next, Miles.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, MilesArcher said:

Star posted you are correct. Found this way down on page 2, with ALL the threads hard to find our old favorites anymore!

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, MilesArcher said:

Miles, it's your thread

There's a new "Invisible Man" movie playing these days and I am reminded that Vincent Price played The Invisible Man twice, first in "The Invisible Man Returns" in 1940 and later in a cameo in "Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein" in 1948.  There is another actor, normally an action star, who played The Invisible Man in two movies.  I can't say he appeared as The Invisible Man, because, of course, we couldn't see him.  Can you name the actor and the two movies?   

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

There's a new "Invisible Man" movie playing these days and I am reminded that Vincent Price played The Invisible Man twice, first in "The Invisible Man Returns" in 1940 and later in a cameo in "Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein" in 1948.  There is another actor, normally an action star, who played The Invisible Man in two movies.  I can't say he appeared as The Invisible Man, because, of course, we couldn't see him.  Can you name the actor and the two movies?   

Jon Hall,  Invisible Agent and The Invisible Man's Revenge

Very good, Lavender.  I would post his picture, but of course, he's invisible.  It's your thread, Lav.

• Haha 1

Thanks Miles :)

The head of a studio asked this star to produce this 1940's  film. If you pay attention to credits before a film begins you can see this star's initials at the bottom of the screen as the production company.The star also starred in the film and it was the only film they produced. Film and the movie star ??

19 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The star and producer of the film, starred in a sort of a very loose remake of the story years later.

The major difference between the movie she produced and the very loose remake was, one  character's death is accidental, in the later film ,the  character is murdered.

The director of the very loose remake years later, starred in a very famous 1940's movie with the actress the question is about.

On 3/4/2020 at 10:23 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles :)

The head of a studio asked this star to produce this 1940's  film. If you pay attention to credits before a film begins you can see this star's initials at the bottom of the screen as the production company.The star also starred in the film and it was the only film they produced. Film and the movie star ??

Above is the original question. Please read all the clues above.

Much of the film takes place in New England and some scenes take place in NY

10 hours ago, starliteyes said:

The film is A Stolen Life and Bette Davis was the uncredited producer.

Yes A Stolen Life and Bette Davis but she wasn't uncredited. While watching A Stolen Life on TCM I noticed on the bottom of the screen it said BD Productions. It is the only film she produced although only doing a few of the tasks a producer would normally do on a film production, Next time you watch A Stolen Life look for the credit BD Productions during the credits before the film begins. Good work Star, your thread :)

• Thanks 1

This MGM film was nominated for 4 Oscars, winning 1 for Best Actor.  In 1955, it became the first MGM film to be shown on television.

Name the film.

57 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

This MGM film was nominated for 4 Oscars, winning 1 for Best Actor.  In 1955, it became the first MGM film to be shown on television.

Name the film.

This is a little before my time, so I'll have to guess.

Spencer Tracy's "Boys Town"?

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is a little before my time, so I'll have to guess.

Spencer Tracy's "Boys Town"?

No, but you're close.  Right actor, wrong movie.  That should really give it away.

30 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

No, but you're close.  Right actor, wrong movie.  That should really give it away.

I read this book in junior high for a book report--Captains Courageous.

That's the one, Princess!  I read it, too - but not for a book report.

You're up next.

• Thanks 1