Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Dancers who aren't considered Great Dancers?

Right, Ruby wasn't in the same league, Hot rhythm and syncopation, isn't something everyone can do. You got to be talented to dance in that style. If you like that fancy stuff, then you like Eleanor and Cyd. Ann Miller had hot rhythm and syncopation.

Ruby wasn't really given a chance to grow as a dancer though. But she's remembered more over Vera-Ellen, Eleanor Powell, Ann Miller, and Cyd Charisse. There's books on Ruby and a documentary.

Ruby wasn't as bad an actress as Joan Crawford overacting. Ruby worked well with what they gave her. They didn't require serious acting from her.

Marion Davies the one look like she dances with bulky combat boots, but she was still used in dancing scenes.

Wonderful! It sounds like we're all in agreement that all of them can be enjoyed for what they were good at and that we can appreciate their different styles of dancing, even if we may prefer one style more than another!

So... what were we talking about before? The subject still reads great dancers who aren't considered great...

I'm gonna get back to that subject now: has anyone mentioned Debbie Reynolds yet? I don't know if she's generally considered to be a "great dancer" but she sure as hell impresses me everytime she does a number.

Debbie Reynolds, yes. Wonderful dancer. Anyone who can keep up with Gene Kelly wins in my book, especially if your not a trained, pro like him. Debbie said dancing with Gene was harder then giving birth.

Debbie danced in many films, she had a lot of rhythm and grace.

That's the thing about Golden Era stars they could do it all.

Marilyn Miller is another dancer that wowed me. TCM show her films occassionally. She did about 3 films. Marilyn Miller was the top Broadway dancing star of her time. I'm glad some of her work was shown on the screen.

Myrna Loy was a wonderful dancer, I haven't really seen her dance, but she claimed in her book to be quite good. I believe she danced in a few films, early films.

HAL LEROY, now that's a guy who could dance. I think he could give Fred Astaire a run for his money. He did a lot of Vitaphone shorts which are shown on TCM. He was a big Broadway star. I wish he would of done some Hollywood movies. I would love to see him dance with Ruby Keeler, Ginger Rogers. He danced with June Allyson in a short, before she hit it big, they were so cute together. But, he disappeared from the public's eye quite fast. It's been said he died alone, like he went into seclusion.

The mention of Marilyn Miller reminds me that Judy Garland played her in "Till the Clouds Roll By." Judy's another one who's always been considered a great "singer" and doesn't get much credit for her dancing ability. But in retrospect she was one of the BEST dancers of Hollywood's Golden Age - there was just no end to her incredible talent.

Another great dancer who doesn't get spoken about much anymore is Betty Grable. She was another one like Judy who had it all. She could sing, dance, do comedy, AND drama (just watch "I Wake Up Screaming"), and she was gorgeous to boot.

I have to deviate from subject for a moment to respectfully disagree with Nickdimeo who listed Ginger Rogers above Ann Miller in the dancing category. I believe Ann was a better dancer than Ginger. Ann was, and I mean this as a compliment, a dancing fool! I love Ginger's movies but she definitely received her share of lucky breaks.

I felt that Jane Powell held her own in the dancing dept.

with Fred Astaire in "Royal Wedding" though mostly an

excellent singer, i would consider her a dancer too...

She would have to be to team up with the great dancer

Fred Astaire you think?......

also can i add one more: the dancing team the Champions

were great i'm quite a fan when i see them in musicals

i don't think they got the stardom they truly deserved.

i enjoy their dancing its like two swams enfolding each other....They were amarried team she gave up dancing with her husband to start a family he had a new dancing partner but i don't think the dancing magic was ever the same....Do you agree or not would like to know.

Rita Hayworth!!!! i'm a HUGE fan of dancing, and i agree with a lot of what i've read in your posts. i was watching "You Were Never Lovelier" this a.m. for the Nth time; i'm also a HUGE fan of Rita -- how's about her Salome and the dance of the seven veils? she could tap, she could sing... mostly she was just so beautiful.

no one mentioned Leslie Caron, tho' i'm not saying "great"; there is something studied and self-conscious about her. based on the interview filler, i'm still trying to picture Cyd Charisse in "American in Paris" -- wouldn't she have been a bit tall for Gene Kelly? she was grace in motion, however -- those long, long legs!

Ann Miller could out-tap any of the other female dancers; i once read she could tap more beats per minute than anyone, period. i like her a lot, but i have always thought there was something gawky about her carriage.

Cagney was a marvelous dancer, so light on his feet. i wish he had been able to do more in that vein.

i also add my vote for Betty Hutton.

do i remember Jane Russell dancing in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" or did she just sort of walk through it? lol, i just remember her, period.

I don't guess anyone would categorise her as an "under-rated" dancer per se,but Katherine Grayson held her own in "Kiss Me Kate". That movie is so fantastic, when I first saw it, I loved it so much that I bought the DVD and watched it something like 3 times in a row.So much talent,singing,dancing-Ann Miller,Katherine Grayson,Howard Keel,Ann Miller,Bob Fosse,Vera Ellen,Tommy Rall-what a great group of talent!

• 2 weeks later...

You're right Soul Lady. Debbie Reynolds is a great dancer cuz of her expression too. I loved her in THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. Everyone knows Fred Astaire is a great dancer. But why? He had his own style. Debbie Reynolds also had IT ;-)