Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for more 'Music video' movies of the 1940s

Like "Reveille with Beverly" (1943) with Ann Miller.

In this one, she is a DJ. She puts a record on & the scene cuts to Duke Ellington or someother performer of that day. (These must be what inspired MTV.)

Anyway, I want to know what other movies there are like this. Most other movies have the music interupted by the stars dialog. I hate that!

Anyone have a good list of movies with misic 'videos' of the performers of the time?

Thanks

> {quote:title=SmartKat wrote:}{quote}

> Anyway, I want to know what other movies there are like this. Most other movies have the music interupted by the stars dialog. I hate that!

>

Would it help to fast-forward past all the parts where there is dialogue?

Personally, I like The Glenn Miller Story and The Benny Goodman Story. There are a few other movies about the song writers of that day. In the Benny Goodman Story, the clarinet is actually played by Goodman. In the movie I'll See You in My Dreams, the music of Gus Kahn is featured. You may think you have never heard of his music, but when you see the movie, there will be several songs you recognize.

I can't think of any that show quite as much uninterrupted music, but many of the big band films TCM showed last month ( http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=199314 ) had plenty of performances, plus they showed a whole bunch of big band shorts (I still have Betty Hutton's *Old Man Mose* running in an endless loop through my head). My dream month on TCM! And many of the WWII morale boosters usually had *at least* one or two popular songs. None of them live, of course, but it's always great to see the performers.

I guess I don't understand your question. You're not talking about a musical, where the characters sing their dialog, like *Oklahoma!*, but how about a film like *Love Me or Leave Me*, where Doris Day portrays a singer, and performs the numbers as part of a revue, show, radio program, etc.? They are popular songs of their time, and uninterrupted by dialog. There are lots of films like that.

Definately NOT sung dialogue!

In "Reveille for Beverly" She is a DJ on a station the troops listen to. The plot is rather lame & frankly, just an excuse to showcase some good music. The clips are really like something you might have seen on MTV if it was around in the 1940's. None of the characters in the movie appear in the clips. They completely stand alone.

She puts the record on the player. The camera shows the record spinning & the scene changes to the performer. It is completely unrelated to the plot, except she might pick a sad song if she is sad.

"Jam Session" is much the same way.

I am trying to put together a CD for our parties with these clips.

The Doris Day type is good, but usually you have the camera covering someone's reaction & with out the plot, that makes no sense whatsoever. Still, much better than interuptions but the little "music video" clips are the best for what I am doing.