Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I'd love to see that one, Double F, but I don't have it on tape. Nicholas Ray is a director

> I look out for. I like that pic.

Yes, it's a shame it is not out on DVD. Best to catch it on TCM or to hunt for the old letterboxed laserdisc from MGM/UA Home Video.

It's great to see Robert Taylor and Lee J. Cobb playing hard-boiled types. B-)

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Lovely photo of Joel and Ellen, and is that the original illustration for the book?

>

> Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Hi Bronxling---yes, I believe it is. One of my favorite parts of the movie is that introduction

to the parson's character, and the bold way he strides into the saloon. The looks on everyone's

faces when starts sermonizing is priceless.

*Um, I would start the list with Gary Cooper in High Noon.*

uh-huh! how'd you guess? heehee!

okay how about this?

*Sheriffs*

1)Will Cane(gary cooper) ~High Noon

2)Jason McCullough(james garner) ~Support Your Local Sheriff

3)Lucretia 'Lu' Rogers(debbie reynolds) ~ Second Time Around

4)Marshal Calem Ware(Randold Scott) ~ The Lawless Street

5)Tex Miller(glenn ford) ~ Go West, Young Lady

6)John Steele(john wayne) ~The Big Stampede

7)Reuben J. "rooster" Cogburn(john wayne) ~True Grit

i have to give jackie his separate list, he isnt in old movies. heehee!

Chon Wang(jackie chan) ~ Shanghai Nights, with of course his side kick, Roy O'Bannon(owen wilson) ;)

ill come up with some more later.

Why Theresa, I'm glad you didn't forget about this (I know I might have!)

What do you think about adding Jimmy Stewart in *Destry Rides Again* ?

And would it make a huge difference for purposes of this list whether someone is a sheriff or a marshall? I'm thinking about Robert Taylor in *The Law and Jake Wade*, but I think he was a marshall, not a sheriff.

*What do you think about adding Jimmy Stewart in Destry Rides Again ?*

i actually had that one in my mind when i requested if i could make the list. im such a ducky! heehee! i cant believe i forgot jimmy!

*And would it make a huge difference for purposes of this list whether someone is a sheriff or a marshall? I'm thinking about Robert Taylor in The Law and Jake Wade, but I think he was a marshall, not a sheriff.*

i havent seen The Law and Jake Wade in such a long time! i remember that movie only vaguely. i wish i could see it again. i remember liking him in it though. back to grandmama's house i go! heehee!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> *And would it make a huge difference for purposes of this list whether someone is a sheriff or a marshall? I'm thinking about Robert Taylor in The Law and Jake Wade, but I think he was a marshall, not a sheriff.*

>

> i havent seen The Law and Jake Wade in such a long time! i remember that movie only vaguely. i wish i could see it again. i remember liking him in it though. back to grandmama's house i go! heehee!

He's really good in it - a lawman with a crooked past ;)

> *He's really good in it - a lawman with a crooked past*

>

> thats what i like about that movie. there are a few movies with that sort of plot going, but not many. i love it when they have a secret in their past, but they are good now and thats all that matters.

It's part of what makes the Western such a durable genre, I think, the idea of leaving the past behind and looking forward to a new beginning - usually further west. B-)

> ooh yes, like the Fastest Gun Alive with Glenn Ford, who plays the fast ex-gunman trying to run away from his past and start a new begining with his pregnant wife (jeanne crain). unfortunately he doesnt get very far with trying to conceal his secret. they make such a cute couple too!!!

I watched it on TCM and I liked it a lot. Wasn't he trying to pass himself off as a farmer or something like that, someone with no experience with guns?

*Nice caps, ButterTea! Is The Law and Jake Wade a favorite of yours?*

i havent seen it very many times dahlink, but i remember watching it a few times at grandmama's house. i completely forgot about it, and when Michaela just jogged my memory i remember a lot from the movie, but there are still parts i cant remember. i wish i couldm, so im going back to grandmama's house to watch it again.

how's your day been?

*I watched it on TCM and I liked it a lot. Wasn't he trying to pass himself off as a farmer or something like that, someone with no experience with guns?*

glenn tries to pass himself off as a store keeper in that small town. he tells everyone he has no clue how to handle a gun, but when he gets drunk, he all the sudden pops up from nowhere and finds a gun and challenges everyone in the town. when he's sober he has very strick rules against using his gun just for the heck of it to show off.

> *Nice caps, ButterTea! Is The Law and Jake Wade a favorite of yours?*

>

> i havent seen it very many times dahlink, but i remember watching it a few times at grandmama's house. i completely forgot about it, and when Michaela just jogged my memory i remember a lot from the movie, but there are still parts i cant remember. i wish i couldm, so im going back to grandmama's house to watch it again.

>

> how's your day been?

I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

My day has been not too bad. How about yours? Anything exciting happening?

*I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.*

oh really? what did you think of it? robert taylor can be cute even when he got older! heehee!

*My day has been not too bad. How about yours? Anything exciting happening?*

other than a test in speech class, nothing really exciting yet. heehee!

did you bother your boss until he gave you the good stuff? heehee!

> *I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.*

>

> oh really? what did you think of it? robert taylor can be cute even when he got older! heehee!

>

In a way, I find him more attractive when he's older. He's more serious and rugged.

Have you seen Devil's Doorway? That's my favorite of his later westerns.

> *My day has been not too bad. How about yours? Anything exciting happening?*

>

> other than a test in speech class, nothing really exciting yet. heehee!

>

> did you bother your boss until he gave you the good stuff? heehee!

Oh, yes, he's very generous with his stash of tea. It's really one of the best black teas

I've ever had.

Teresa:

"The Fastest Gun Alive" has a little more than Ford letting out his secret just because he has a drink. (If you will remember he didn't drink and the town was quite stunned when he wanted a drink.)

Ford is fed up with th whole shop keeper thing. (Remember the woman trying to return the dress?) The frustration continues to build. What really sets him off, finally, is all the talk about the Crawford character and how fast he is and how much talk the townspeople throw around and think they know but really don't. His separation from his gun and the life he is caught in helps drive his character back to what he knows. Ah, but there is a catch.....

Pretty good film with a bit of a far fetched premise but I like it a great deal.

Chris

*In a way, I find him more attractive when he's older. He's more serious and rugged.*

*Have you seen Devil's Doorway? That's my favorite of his later westerns.*

i like Devil's doorway, but not as much as some of his other ones, b/c there isnt as strong of a romance plot in it. i wanted it to be stronger, but his acting is great and i would consider it one of his best westerns!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}>

> i like Devil's doorway, but not as much as some of his other ones, b/c there isnt as strong of a romance plot in it. i wanted it to be stronger, but his acting is great and i would consider it one of his best westerns!

That's true---I have *Many Rivers to Cross* and *Saddle the Wind* in my ClassicFlix "queue";

I don't think I've seen *Saddle the Wind* and I know I haven't seen "Bushrod". ;) I'm looknig

forward to them. I thought he was terrific in the *The Last Hunt* but, boy, was he mean.

Robert Taylor took on several unlikable roles in his later years, but scarcely ever gets much

credit for even trying and I find it rather puzzling. They always say, "oh, Coop just played

Coop and Gable just played Gable" and here was Taylor doing all these difficult parts and

no one says anything about even the fact he made that effort to break out of the romantic

leading man persona and into more character-type stuff. Not that I don't prefer him as the

good guy, but I do enjoy his forays into darker territory, especially *Johnny Eager*, I just

love him in that.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}Ah, but there is a catch.....

>

that "catch" took me totally by surprise; it was a very unpredictable show. I was expecting

something completely different judging by the sort of "Saturday Matinee" way it started.

Wasn't Jeanne Crain really beautiful in it? I thought she looked more beautiful as she matured.

> *I watched it on TCM and I liked it a lot. Wasn't he trying to pass himself off as a farmer or something like that, someone with no experience with guns?*

>

> glenn tries to pass himself off as a store keeper in that small town. he tells everyone he has no clue how to handle a gun, but when he gets drunk, he all the sudden pops up from nowhere and finds a gun and challenges everyone in the town. when he's sober he has very strick rules against using his gun just for the heck of it to show off.

Yes, that sounds more like it, I remember now. B-)

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Teresa:

>

> "The Fastest Gun Alive" has a little more than Ford letting out his secret just because he has a drink. (If you will remember he didn't drink and the town was quite stunned when he wanted a drink.)

>

> Ford is fed up with th whole shop keeper thing. (Remember the woman trying to return the dress?) The frustration continues to build. What really sets him off, finally, is all the talk about the Crawford character and how fast he is and how much talk the townspeople throw around and think they know but really don't. His separation from his gun and the life he is caught in helps drive his character back to what he knows. Ah, but there is a catch.....

>

> Pretty good film with a bit of a far fetched premise but I like it a great deal.

Thank you, Chris, for those additional details. It all came back to me now.