Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (terrible)

>

> Wait just a minute there pilgrim!!!! Let's back this train up a bit...I just noticed something "Mr. Not-so-Grey-But-Leaning-Toward-the-Black"

>

> The list I printed off from Miss Goddess's post...had NONE of your embellishments on it, as I recall. (Shepherd of the Hills....rancid????????) Now is that anyway to talk??? I am very disappointed in you!!

>

Just pay no mind to the "embellishments" ;)

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for thinking of me! There are actually two panels over the weekend along with the films. The one on Saturday is made up mainly of scholars and the one on Sunday is mainly friends, family and co-workers.

>

> It should be a fun weekend!

I thought of you too! And Mr. Cutter, if he is also going. Hope you'll all have a great weekend. B-)

> The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (terrible)

>

> Wait just a minute there pilgrim!!!! Let's back this train up a bit...I just noticed something "Mr. Not-so-Grey-But-Leaning-Toward-the-Black"

>

> The list I printed off from Miss Goddess's post...had NONE of your embellishments on it, as I recall. (Shepherd of the Hills....rancid????????) Now is that anyway to talk??? I am very disappointed in you!!

>

> I don't know how I missed that the first time..Usually I am more observant....I must be slipping in my old age.

>

> Maybe it's a sign I need to head for the bunkhouse. Time to hit the hay....hasta la vista, Westerners!

It's not you, Kathy---he didn't have anything better to do so he went back and VANDALIZED

_my_ list. I think there must be some legal action I can take.

Kathy:

One other thing. You might consider Netflix. It is really easy and they have lots of old movies to enjoy.

Why another VCR when you have your combo? Do you have cable? If it is a DVD Recorder with the VCR you can do both sides of the machine. Sometimes one wrong button, wire or having the TV on the wrong channel will mess you up.

Thank you, Mr. Grey. So far it has been a very pleasant day. (PS--Johnny Appleseed says hello.) :-)

PS--what a perfect pic to post....the only way it could have been better would have been if you had accompanied it with a 500 word essay entitled..."Kathy, I Finally Saw the Quiet Man and it is Now My Favorite Movie Of All Time" (Maybe I will put that on my Christmas wish list.) :-)

Thank you, Mr. Grey. So far it has been a very pleasant day. (PS--Johnny Appleseed says hello.)

I'm very happy to hear that, Quiet Gal. You'll have to spill the beans on what you got then.

PS--what a perfect pic to post....the only way it could have been better would have been

if you had accompanied it with a 500 word essay entitled..."Kathy, I Finally Saw the

Quiet Man and it is Now My Favorite Movie Of All Time" (Maybe I will put that on my

Christmas wish list.)

I don't know 500 words. :P My "movies to watch list" is MUCH longer than yours. I have

over 350 movies on DVD that I've yet to watch. Did you just feel a chill in the air? It's like

a cat walked over my grave... many, many times.

Happy birthday, Kathy!

Why another VCR when you have your combo

Oh Chris...my VCR woes rival even my toaster dilemma. (Which I am happy to announce that as of today...I can now make toast again!!! )

My VCR/DVD only records on the VCR if you hook it up to a cable box or a satellite thingie or if you do some sort of fancy wiring (that requires purchasing some kind of cable) I finally read the instruction book and Scott helped me by looking up some stuff too...and it is likely going to be more than I will want to mess with. And since we have a small tv in another room that is also hooked up to the cable, I will likely be better off (for sanity's sake) just trying to go the old fashioned vcr route and find a good used one or something.

Netflix sounds like a good route to go for folks who order online a lot...but I have just never done that...I think it would be safe to say that I am "resisting" some of the technological advances the world has to offer. I don't know how long that will last. I didn't even have the internet until about a year and a half ago.I am sure eventually I will have to step into the modern age...one little baby step at a time. :-)

> Thanks! Yes...as my husband would say....the earth has travelled around the sun once again.

>

> I think we are about to go for dinner....fajitas anybody?? :-)

Enjoy your fajitas, and your margaritas (if you like margaritas) and I'm sure we'll have a birthday cake waiting for you when you get back! ;)

My "movies to watch list" is MUCH longer than yours

You are probably right about that. 350 is a lot of movies. My list is not so long..at least not yet. I will save you a spot at the old folk's home...and we can take turns borrowing the DVD player. (But I am so much older than you I will probabyy be long gone by the time you show up).

Did you just feel a chill in the air

I wish(ok--maybe not THAT kind of chill) ....but the A/C is still out...and the QT was too industrious last week and already took the little window unit out the other day....and then it started getting HOT around here again.

But..it 's been such a beautiful day..sunny and pleasant. I got to play outside for a while today and it was very good to be out on such a nice day. So no more griping. :-)

Enjoy your fajitas, and your margaritas

Fajitas were delish!! But I am more of an iced tea kinda gal. I am "overly full" at the moment. My husband has worked so much overtime this week he checked out not long after we got home..but I could not sleep on this full of a stomach even if I wanted too. However...the chicken and the onions and the peppers were just right..and there was enough that I even brought some home to reheat for lunch tomorrow...if I am able to eat again by then!! (somehow I feel certain it will not be a problem)

Of course...I am dying to make some toast though and try out my new gadget. So..I will likely have the leftovers on toated bread ...oh...but I don't think I can think about it right now. .....

*The Big Trail* is a real knockout, just gorgeous! The scenery is the most incredible

I've ever seen in a western and all over the place: mountain ranges, deep valleys and

canyons, deserts and flooded rivers and snowy forest. The big trees are so amazing

looking, more impressive even than in Hitchcock's *Vertigo*. And John Wayne is

just as naturally attractive as any of that "Mountain Greenery".

Richard Schickel ticked me off after just six minutes of commentary so I promptly

shut him up and watched the remainder of the film with my own eyes, imagination

and brain, such as it is.

If you've seen the movie before the restoration, do yourself a favor and see it again

because you missed practically half of it in the old format. What an incredible

thing when you realise this was made in 1929-1930! It looks as if not more impressive

than anything made since. Only some of the dialogue delivery reminds you of the

awkward, early talkie period origins. But it's amazing that they were already doing

sound outdoors so successfully.

The Big Trail

April this is one that is on my list for sure...I still remember the pictures you posted in the Western Gallery a while back. It sounds like a really good "early" Duke. (and I am a sucker for tall trees and scenery--sometimes I lose track of a storyline for looking at that background stuff...that's when it's nice to be able to hit rewind.) :-)

Richard Schickel ticked me off

What did he do or say????

Message was edited by: rohanaka

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}>

> What did he do or say????

>

> Message was edited by: rohanaka

Oh, he's always saying things that ruffle my feathers. His opinions are completely

opposite mine most of the time, and he can come across as extremely pompous and

a know-it-all to me. He doesn't say "in my opinion", he speaks in _definitive_ terms

that clearly implies he is stating irrefutable fact, not remotely subjective. In the

commentary, Schickel claimed that there was no recognizing the young man in The

Big Trail when compared to the actor who was always "consumed with rage"

for the latter part of his career and only exhibited "momentary good nature"

in the films we are most familiar with. In other words, that Wayne as a persona

was a sore head. I don't where in he--in heaven's name he gets this stuff. I can

think of just two movies where Wayne went ballistic with rage for an extended period:

*The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance* and *The Searchers*. Aside from those, all I ever

saw in that range was temper and I don't consider temper the same thing as "constantly

angry." Schickel and I must have seen different John Waynes because the predominant

quality that I always find present is geniality that only gives way when provoked.

I think the young man in The Big Trail only differs physically from what came after,

his persona is already remarkably developed.

Kathy:

I missed your birthday? Sorry. I hope you had a lovely day. Best wishes for many more and you get all the movies you want.

As far as the DVD/VCR you usually hook it from the cable box to the DVD/VCR and then to the TV. The trick is the VCR and TV have to be on channel 3 and put the cable box where you want to record. The downside is you can't watch something else while you are taping.

Good luck with however you set it up.

Chris

Now see...here's the difference...he was probably paid the big bucks to tell everybody what he thinks he knows about John Wayne...and did a rotten job from the sound of it.

But your words are from the experience of actually watching the film because you LIKE John Wayne.

You know...I always joke with my husband because I tell him that I am only a "professional" in my job because I get paid...and that really is all that word means. An amateur...if I recall from my High School English Etymology class is a person who does something because they love it. So...in this case..it is better to be the amateur movie watcher than the professional. (I hope that made sense--because I meant it as a compliment) :-)

birthday

Thanks Chris! Actually...it's not my birthday...It's Johnny Appleseed Day. (maybe if I keep saying that, I won't have to add another year to my age) :-)

I did get some very nice movies...I posted the whole "loot" list over in the Torture thread...but just to save you the click...I have:

The Searchers

StageCoach

The Undefeated/North To Alaska ( a double set)

and Hondo

I am really happy to have these and hope to get started watching them all someday soon.

I don't have a cable box...my cable goes right into the back of the VCR...Mr Grimes looked up some info for me on the set that I have and taking what he found along with what I read in the instuction book, I think (if I understand it all right) the only way I will be able to tape is with some fancy wire or cable that you have to buy extra and then run the vcr and cable into that other cable...or something like that....anyway..I am giving it a rest for now. Maybe will figure out a solution someday. Thanks for all the advice though.

> Enjoy your fajitas, and your margaritas

>

> Fajitas were delish!! But I am more of an iced tea kinda gal. I am "overly full" at the moment. My husband has worked so much overtime this week he checked out not long after we got home..but I could not sleep on this full of a stomach even if I wanted too. However...the chicken and the onions and the peppers were just right..and there was enough that I even brought some home to reheat for lunch tomorrow...if I am able to eat again by then!! (somehow I feel certain it will not be a problem)

>

> Of course...I am dying to make some toast though and try out my new gadget. So..I will likely have the leftovers on toated bread ...oh...but I don't think I can think about it right now. .....

Sounds like a lovely birthday, alright. Hope you'll enjoy the toasted bread and other stuff tomorrow... and maybe start watching some of the DVDs? ;)

> What was that you said one time??? One brick at a time... :-)

That's the spirit.

The sad news from this morning is still sinking in, and I find myself wanting to watch something with Paul Newman, possibly *Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid*. He was really one of a kind and he will be missed very much.