Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

I hope you enjoy those Selleck westerns

Hi Chris. Sorry I missed your post earlier. I have seen both of these movies but it's been a while. I don't think I saw eihter of them more than once when they first came out. But I do remember liking them both. And you're right about Harmon...he's not his usual self, as I recall. I might get a chance to watch at least one of them later this week. It just remains to be seen whether I can fit it in among all the other stuff going on.

Hope your trip was good. (The girl didnt' run out of gas again, did she??? ) :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}>

> I am still contemplating a Ramble on "Things I never noticed or thought about before about Stagecoach" after watching last weekend. Just haven't been able to decide if I wanna or not. :-)

I'd love to read whatever you have to say, Kathy.

>Hope your trip was good. (The girl didnt' run out of gas again, did she??? )

No, she didn't. Good thing too as she didn't go with us. If she had run out someone would have been there to help her though. Thankfully, everything went well for my wife and me and the other couples. Not the most exciting weekend for me as it was a wine tasting excursion so I waited A LOT while everyone sipped on stuff. (I hate wine but I did get chocolate covered peanuts and a Pepsi.)

Didn't have a chance to watch one movie.

I still haven't seen Appaloosa, and though I seldom let critics sway me this review

from Scott Eyman, a writer I generally trust, feeds into my ambivalence about it:

We can all relax; Ed Harris is not the second coming of Sam Peckinpah. Or Howard Hawks.

And lets? just leave John Ford out of the equation entirely.

?Appaloosa? is a fair-to-middling western that conceptually owes a fair amount to ?Lonesome

Dove.? Certainly, Harris and co-star Viggo Mortensen as a traveling team of mercenary lawmen,

are a pleasure to watch at all times, and should have been in many westerns before now.

But the script lets them down, and so, in his capacity as director, does Harris. When something

is happening, Harris can shoot and edit well, but when nothing in particular is happening the film

slackens and dies. The characters in the film don?t have subtexts, but they do have emotional

lives, yet Harris can?t seem to animate their interiors as well as he does their exteriors.

Renee Zellwegger?s character not only doesn?t make any sense, she?s either wretchedly

photographed or has done something terrible to her face. Since the cameraman was Dean

Semler, a very good DP, I have to go with the latter.

If the nervous, stop-and-go revival of the western is ever going to get into third gear, it?s going to

need better movies than this. I wasn?t crazy about last year?s remake of ?3:10 to Yuma? - the

director didn?t seem to trust the genre, which is primarily rural in nature, and amped up the pace

and violence to a degree I thought bordered on the absurd. But ?3:10 to Yuma? was a damn sight

better than ?Appaloosa.?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/culture/entries/2008/10/06/appaloosa_ed_harris_and_the_fu.html

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I still haven't seen Appaloosa, and though I seldom let critics sway me this review

> from Scott Eyman, a writer I generally trust, feeds into my ambivalence about it:

>

> We can all relax; Ed Harris is not the second coming of Sam Peckinpah. Or Howard Hawks.

> And lets just leave John Ford out of the equation entire

Ouch.

But, I have to agree with the reviewer. Especially the part about Renee Zellwegger, who I usually enjoy in most of the movies she's made.

Appaloosa

Hmmm...well I wasn't expecting it to be "great".And I guess thats likely the case from the comments I have heard so far. But It sounds as if it has some good points. It may be more of just "sit down and watch" rather than a "sit down watch and contemplate" sort of movie.

We are likely not going to be able to see it any time in the couple of weeks. If I go to the movies at all in the next two weeks I have a feeling the short person is going to and we will be watching the chihuahua movie. But the QT and I have been talking about going to see this one "sometime" if we can ever get the chance. So who knows? Interesting review, though.

(I hate wine but I did get chocolate covered peanuts and a Pepsi

Now if it had been me....I'd have skipped the peanuts too. (I only like peanut butter--so maybe would have gone with a "Reece"s" and a Pepsi..better yet...Reece's and a Dr. Pepper...now you're talkin'.

Sounds like it was a nice weekend though. We were able to get out and enjoy the weather quite a bit this past weekend out here. Fall is really my favorite time of year. Did you see any "foliage" as you were traveling...or did you fly?

Western Maryland, up to Gettysburg and back over to York, PA

Aren't you the lucky one!! I have always wanted to do a "driving" vacation out that way. Tons of history and lots of beautiful scenery. Glad you had a nice weekend.

Recently watched *The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox* - of course it's more a comedy than a Western, but since it's set in the old West... there are a few funny moments, but overall it's not one of the best of its kind. Some of the scenery was nice, tho. B-)

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> "Four Faces West" with Joel McCrea and Frances Dee shows up at 2:20pm today and 1:35am tomorrow (10th) on Encore Westerns channel.

I'm going to try to record the 1:35 a.m. one, thanks Chris! I can't wait to see them together in

a movie.

I watched *Heaven with a Gun* last night, starring *Glenn Ford* and I have to say I ended up

liking it despite a few misgivings. It's made in 1969 which is the first misgiving (in other words,

a childish degree of violence) and Barbara Hershey is a whole barrel full of misgivings but thank

goodness they just gave her dorky goof-talk (she plays a homeless Indian girl) and no importance

beyond being pitiful. Anyway, the good part of the cast consists of not only Ford but a nice

performance by *Carolyn Jones*, not unsimilar to her role in Last Train from Gun Hill---in other

words, a saloon girl. I was curious to watch Heaven with a Gun because it's sort of a strange twist on the *Stars in my Crown* tale; a preacher who's every bit as tough as his "parish". Glenn

Ford is a parson (or is he?) who is also curiously handy with a gun and has come to the town of

Vinegaroon (great name!) to try and stop a war between the cattlemen and sheep herders.

You won't find any of the charm of *Stars in my Crown* but I bet you will be surprised by the ending.

Having come home late from a golf outing and checking the board to see if I had any more duties as the most recent winner of the latest Programming Challenge I stumbled across "Heaven With A Gun" and the first thing I see is a naked woman. (This in a Glenn Ford movie?)

I like Ford in westerns and this is about the only one I haven't seen. I suspect it will be on again over the next week or so and I will try and catch it and we'll talk it over.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Having come home late from a golf outing and checking the board to see if I had any more duties as the most recent winner of the latest Programming Challenge I stumbled across "Heaven With A Gun" and the first thing I see is a naked woman. (This in a Glenn Ford movie?)

LOL. Don't worry, it was only Barbara Hershey and believe me, you miss nothing if you miss

that part, people. I have to say, she gets my vote for most idiotic female character in a western

movie---BAR NONE.

>

> I like Ford in westerns and this is about the only one I haven't seen. I suspect it will be on again over the next week or so and I will try and catch it and we'll talk it over.

Oh, yes, Encore tends to repeat their movies, especially the ones they go to the trouble

of making a special "commercial" for, as they have this one.

By now it's been drilled into your head that October 26th is a "Six Gun Salute" to _John_ Ford?

If not, I'll drill it in myself. :P

any more duties as the most recent winner of the latest Programming Challenge I

WHAT????? I am going to look in that thread right now!! I had no idea!! I read the first post or two and realized it was so far out of my league I never went back in there again!! CONGATS 2U!! (I feel so lucky to be "typing" in the presense of greatness!!)

I think we need more cake!! (I just wish I could figure out how to post photos and pictures on here....youtube links are about as good as I get.

Wow, Chris, I didn't even realize until I read Kathy's post that you WON the Challenge! I

completely misread your post, I'm sorry. CONGRATULATIONS. I think you have great

taste and creativity and more than deserved it.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I think we need more cake!! (I just wish I could figure out how to post photos and pictures on here....youtube links are about as good as I get.

Here's some cake for ya and chris!

Black%20Forest%20Cake.jpg

P.S. There is a thread in the "Technical Issues" section that explains all about posting pictures. ;)

Hi April & Kathy:

Thanks to you both for your kind congratulations. It is most appreciated. I only have one request and that is both of you do a schedule for the next contest. It will happen after the first of the year. There are eleven you can look back to for guidance and certainly talk to me about it. It will be great. They are work but fun. If not I hope you will at least check in and vote.

Thanks for the "fanfarre."

FF:

Thanks for the cake. More than enough chocolate to keep me happy.

Oh my goodness! I just saw the most wonderful western! It's the 1925 silent epic, The

Vanishing American. I don't know why this film isn't more famous, it's just amazing, to

use that tired out expression, and I find the few mentions of it in critical writing to be

undeserving of the condescention it seemed to occasion on the part of contemporary

critical opinion. This must be one of the first, if not the first, movie to REALLY tell the story

of the west from the Native AMerican point of view. Among the many remarkable aspects of

the film is the cast; it must at least 95% indigenous. I never saw this large a cast of Native

Americans in any movie. The first part of the movie is a sort of "march of time" about the early

beginnings of their culture up to the Cliff Dwelling era, and then it moves into the advent of the

first Europeans and brings it up to the 20th Century. In each generation of a particular tribe is a

male warrior named "Nophai" and the modern day one is portrayed by Richard Dix, and

excellently so I might add. He's really great, and so expressive but in a stoic sort of way, which

he's known for. I think it's the best work I've seen him do.

The movie is remarkable also for the locations: for one thing, much of it is shot in Monument

Valley, predating Ford's arrival by about 14 years. Parts of the Grand Canyon and other stunning

western sites are effective stages for the drama. The storyline is simple and sentimental (there is

a love story, which I appreciated and was very moved by), and the Word War I propaganda is the

part that's hard to swallow. The depiction of the white's rapacity up to the then present day is

quite unvarnished, though, in a way that really wouldn't appear again for another 50 years.

The music track appears to have been recorded at a live screening because there are

bursts of applause, which is kind of fun because you'll feel like clapping with them.

I'm definitely putting this movie in my top 25 westerns, if only for the flavor of truth brought

about simply by filming in parts of the country that was still living through the plight of the

characters in the story. These people you see in the cast really ARE poor and living a

harsh reality, they are not "actors" pretending or wearing carefully destroyed clothes. Their

raggedness and thinness is all too distressingly believable.

I would not suggest watching this with children, as there are a couple of scenes of very

explicit violence, but every grown up western fan ought to seek it out if they can. Kathy, that

means you too! :D

The director is George Seitz, whose name I had encountered on a few 1930s films I have

in my collection, but who never really stood out for me. He isn't really an "arty" director,

his camera is most effective in the action sequences, keeping things moving and except

for allowing for nice vistas of the astonishing scenery, the photography is fairly straightforward.

Realism seemed to be the main objective in filming the play.