Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

The Vanishing American.

April, I am so glad this turned out to be as good as you expected. I have it on my list already thanks to your suggestions. I will be watching for it for sure. Glad you liked it. It really does sound like one I would like to catch.

I noticed when I was looking it up in the database a few days ago that there is a remake of this from the 1950's. Do you know anything about it...would you recommend it as well. ( I would still want to see the silent...based on what you have written here, but wondered if you knew if the remake was worth mentioning or not.)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> The Vanishing American.

>

> April, I am so glad this turned out to be as good as you expected. I have it on my list already thanks to your suggestions. I will be watching for it for sure. Glad you liked it. It really does sound like one I would like to catch.

>

> I noticed when I was looking it up in the database a few days ago that there is a remake of this from the 1950's. Do you know anything about it...would you recommend it as well. ( I would still want to see the silent...based on what you have written here, but wondered if you knew if the remake was worth mentioning or not.)

I saw that there was a remake but I've never heard anything about it. All references I've

previously read were to the silent version, so the remake may not be so much. I don't recall

ever seeing it air on any of the channels I watch. I can't imagine that in 1955, or whenever

it was made, they used as extensive a cast of Native Americans as in the original.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I saw that there was a remake but I've never heard anything about it. All references I've

> previously read were to the silent version, so the remake may not be so much. I don't recall

> ever seeing it air on any of the channels I watch. I can't imagine that in 1955, or whenever

> it was made, they used as extensive a cast of Native Americans as in the original.

According to imdb.com, "Charles Stevens, who plays the Apache henchman Quah-Tan in this film, played Shoie in the original 1925 silent version".

Spoilers on the track

OK, I read both "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "The hanging Tree" by Dorothy Johnson.

I would say that Ford took what is basically a "skeleton" in Johnson's short story (very short)

and built a masterpiece out of it. Two things struck me: Ranse is much, much less likable

in the story than Ford made him. In fact, Pappy made him a decent man with weaknesses

whereas in the story he's a weak man who only did the decent thing because his rival prodded

him into it. Including marrying Hallie and becoming governor, senator, etc. The other thing

is that the cactus rose bit is in the story. I had figured that detail was pure Ford since he

often uses flowers to represent feelings.

"The Hanging Tree" is longer, almost a novella, and the movie is very faithful to it. It helped

me a lot to understand some things in the movie to read this, because Doc Frail is such a

mystery and the "lost lady" also had some strange behavior which the story explains.

Both stories are excellent as written, very spare and yet with an elegance to their economy.

Johnson was a fine writer, judging by just these two examples. I can see why Coop, Ford,

Wayne, A.B. Guthrie, and Jimmy Stewart admired her.

April, I am so glad you got to read these. May I ask how you came by them again? (I know you posted this a while back but am too lazy to go hunting) I wonder if this is available at the library.

I think Ford may have had a knack for being able to look at a pile of nice little gems and imagine them polished to their finest luster. He also had a good idea of what makes people tick. He must have made a study of human nature. And he certainly knew how to pull the deeper thoughts and meanings in a story out into the open. At least it seems like that to me.As I have been hanging out in here I am becoming more appreciative of his films to be certain. And I think I remember saying quite some time ago that I was surprised when I looked up his filmography list because so many of my favorite films were on there. I just never noticed or knew much about who he was or the films he made until you folks started bringing these things to light.

The fact that he didn't get "sucked in" or pigeon holed into one single genre or particular storyline says a lot for him as a filmmaker. (I think sometimes directors can get "type cast" much the same way as actors if they are not careful.)His comedies are hilarious. His dramas are thought provoking. His romance is ...ah....what can I say? And the grit and action in his stories are as good as it gets. And in certain films you can get all of this and more all wrapped up in the same package. He really knew how to bring out the best aspects of his stories. (I know if I were better at expressing myself this would make more sense)

Ranse is much, much less likable

Well....now from things I've heard you say, you always suspected that anyway didnt' you??? (HA!) :-)

The Parson and the Outlaw

FF-I never heard of this one before. I looked it up (it came on too early for me to catch today) and I was surprised by the story line....sounds like an interesting twist on the "What if" factor.

Did you get to see it?

I think you expressed the best in Ford's films perfectly, Kathy!

Ranse is much, much less likable

Well....now from things I've heard you say, you always suspected that anyway didnt' you??? (HA!)

Who? Little ol' me? Why I'd never say a word against that yellow...I mean that dear, dear man. :)

By the way, Kathy, those stories of Dorothy M. Johnson have been collected in book form

and I think there are a few different editions. I'm sure your library would have one, she was

evidently quite well known in her day for a western writer.

Here is one particular edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Shot-Liberty-Valance/dp/1931832587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223998076&sr=1-1

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> The Parson and the Outlaw

>

> FF-I never heard of this one before. I looked it up (it came on too early for me to catch today) and I was surprised by the story line....sounds like an interesting twist on the "What if" factor.

>

> Did you get to see it?

I was sort of half-watching while recording it. It seems like a good "B" western, but nothing to shout home about.

I think April posted this (or a similar one) back a few months ago. It's really a nice tribute to the movie. (and now I will get to listen to the short person go around singing "...He shot Liberty Valance") all over again.(the minute she heard the music she came a runnin'. "It's the Liberty Valance song again!!") She is turning into quite the little youtube junkie (right along w/ her mom)

Well?I know you all have just been dying in anticipation of this much celebrated moment. (How was that for a big buildup??) I have separated the Westerns from my ?Wanna See? List, and now I have two list. ?Western Wanna See?s? and a ?Buncha Other Wanna See?s? (Actually?now that I think about it, I also made a John Ford Wanna See List?so there?s another one?but those films are all also on one or the other of my two aforementioned lists) (UGH?I think I am starting to list a little to one side) I held off posting this for a while because I just kept getting bogged down w/ other stuff and I wanted to "proof" it a little better. But then finally decided to get this over with, so if you find any errors...forgive me please.

A little more than half of my total list of films I want to see someday are Westerns. So taking your advice?I have posted them here (and then will save the other Wanna see?s for another time.) I will likely be looking for some of these titles well into my retirement years (at the rate I am going) But at least I got to cross off two of them after my recent gifts from my husband and my folks . Hondo and the Undefeated are no longer on here?yippee!! (Although I still haven?t watched The Undefeated yet?it?s only a matter of time)

I am sure someone else could organize all of these better. And they are certainly not in any sort of order of preference as to which I would rather see first. Because that is where YOU folks come in. Since I got most of these titles from talking with you and reading your posts?I would be very interested in polling you and finding out your ?top choices?. I know this is a lot to ask, so I won?t blame you all if you are too busy to mess with me. All comments are welcome as I value everyone?s opinions.(Even the Grey ones) And-I also would be interested in anything else you think I should add that is not already on here (especially those of you who have gotten to know me a bit)

And another thing to keep in mind-if there is a date next to a title-that film is listed as showing soon on TCM ( I checked out the database a while back to see what I could find) And films with an * next to them are not on the TCM schedule right now.

And due to sloppy record keeping early on-I am sure I am missing a few titles here and there from all the ones I originally noted?but as best as I can come up with it.

So to borrow a line from my favorite "Quiet Man"....Without further eloquence:

Here is Kathy?s official ?Western Wanna See List" as it stands today:

Destry Rides Again*

Night Passage*

Man From Laramie (Sep 22, 03:30AM, Nov 03, 11:30AM)

Two Rode Together*

The Far Country*

The Horse Soldiers* ( after reading the synopsis- I may have seen this?but can?t recall for sure)

The Iron Horse* ( I found this listed as being shown at a library near here in a next month May be able to catch it there)

3 Bad Men*

Hanging Tree* (although I think I may have seen a least part of this one-not sure though. Could just be that I recognize the song.)

Man of the West*

They Came to Cordura* (I caught only a portion of this a while back-but at the time I did not even know what I was watching)

Garden of Evil*

Duel in the Sun (Dec 9, 11:00 PM)

The Gunfighter*

The Man with the Gun (Dec 27, 10:30AM)

The Furies*

The Red Pony (Nov 05, 04:30PM)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre* (maybe not really a western ?but still on my list)

The Big Trail *

War Wagon (Nov 29, 06:15PM)

Shepherd of the Hills (need to see this all the way through-have only seen part) *

They Died with Their Boots On ( I believe I may have seen this, but need to jog my memory) Nov 25, 02:15AM

Ride the High Country (Nov 18, 06:15PM)

The Ox-Bow Incident*

3:10 to Yuma (the new one- this is only a ?tentative? one-still not sure if I want to see it or not-you guys have me all confused)

Recent additions thanks to hanging out in here too much lately:

Seven Men From Now *(the IMDB info describes Marvin?s character as a ne?er do well?.now there?s a stretch! HA!)

The Tall T*

Comanche Station (Nov 19, 05:00PM)

The Law and Jake Wade*

The Fastest Gun Alive*

Broken Arrow*

Stranger on Horseback* (FF-between reading your post and the TCM synopsis?I had to add this one on here)

Dodge City *

Virginia City*

Riders of the Purple Sage* (I thought I had seen this, but when I looked it up, now I am not so sure. There are also several versions of this?and it may be that I am just familiar with the name. All the older ones are under an hour if memory serves. Has anyone seen any of them? Chris- I know you saw the modern one?what about the older ones?)

Red River*

The Vanishing American * Also on my ?Wanna Read list (thanks to you , Miss G)

Whispering Smith*

Heaven With a Gun*

Dallas* (don?t know how I missed this when I was listing all my other Gary wanna see?s)

There it is in all it's glory, folks.I appreciate any insight you can offer to help me prioritize and wade through this mess. You all are much more knowledgable than I when it comes to these things and I appreciate your time.

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Kathy, that's one impressive list! I truly can't think of anything else that I would recommend at this point, so I'll just be wishing you all the fun in the world as you proceed and make your way down that list. I'm sure you'll let us all know what you think of each. (No need to be confused about the *3:10 to Yuma* remake - I say give it a try if you want).

Hi Kathy! I think you've got a good start to your list there....ha! Yes, I said "start" because

I can think of a couple dozen more that I'd like to know if you've seen, but I won't burden you

will all of them. Here are just a few that I was wondering if you'd seen yet, if not, I think from

what I know about you that you would enjoy them:

*Friendly Persuasion* (directed by Wiliam Wyler, starring Gary Cooper, Dorothy MacGuire

and Anthony Perkins)

*The Westerner* (directed by William Wyler, starring Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan)

*Tall in the Saddle* (starring John Wayne, "Gabby" Hayes and Ella Raines)

*Rawhide* (starring Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward)

Wagon Master* (coming to TCM in January! Yayyyy!!! directed by you-know-who)

*Jubal* (directed by Delmer Daves, starring Glenn Ford)

The Sheepman* (starring Glenn Ford and Shirley MacLaine)

Tribute to a Bad Man* (was released on VHS, though; directed by Robert Wise starring

James Cagney)

*Winchester '73* (directed by Anthony Mann, his first western with James Stewart)

*Springfield Rifle* (starring Gary Cooper)

*Canyon Passage* (directed by Jacques Tourneur starring Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward)

*The Tall Men* (directed by Raoul Walsh starring Clark Gable, Robert Ryan and Jane Russell)

*The Tin Star* (directed by Anthony Mann starring Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins; was on

DVD but may be OOP)

*River of No Return* (directed by Otto Preminger, starring Robert Mitchum, Marilyn Monroe and

Rory Calhoun)

*Will Penny* (starring Charlton Heston)

*Pursued* (directed by Raoul Walsh and starring Robert Mitchum and Theresa Wright)

Blood on the Moon* (directed by Robert Wise and starring Robert Mitchum, Walter

Brennan, Robert Preston and Barbara Bel Geddes)

Those with an * by them are not on DVD that I know of.

*Blood on the Moon (directed by Robert Wise and starring Robert Mitchum, Walter*

*Brennan, Robert Preston and Barbara Bel Geddes)*

I can definitely confirm this movie is not on DVD, but it has been shown on TCM from time to time, and Mitchum is excellent in it! B-)

Riders of the Purple Sage is one of the very best western novels I've read and it's probably

Zane Grey's most famous. I think I saw parts of the modern movie but I don't remember it.

I'd be curious to see some of the earlier versions. Wasn't one also made of "Man of the Forest"?

I liked that book a lot, too. John Wayne may even have starred in it.

*Riders of the Purple Sage is one of the very best western novels I've read and it's probably*

*Zane Grey's most famous. I think I saw parts of the modern movie but I don't remember it.*

*I'd be curious to see some of the earlier versions. Wasn't one also made of "Man of the Forest"?*

*I liked that book a lot, too. John Wayne may even have starred in it.*

It wasn't John Wayne, it was Randolph Scott, in 1933.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024301/

3:10 to Yuma remake - I say give it a try if you want).

Someday maybe. (Will have to likely watch when the short person is not around...but several of these titles may be that way--which is one reason why I have not had much luck whittling this list down any sooner....someone once posted on here a little phrase that went something like..."one brick at a time" :-)

Hi April--thanks for the input.

Of those you have listed-here are the *Have Seen's:*

(the first three I like very much, the 4th only so so.)

Friendly Persuasion

The Westerner (I have this on a homemade vhs but have only seen it all the way through once)

Jubal

Will Penny

And there is one *think I've seen * (but don't remember as much as I should to know for sure): Winchester '73

All the others I have not seen so far as I can recall.Thanks to you and FF--Blood on the Moon has officially made it on to the Wanna See list, and I will check the TCM database to see what I can find out about the rest&do any of them stand out for you as a personal fave??

Thanks for the input on Riders (Chris and April both) I haven't heard of the Man of the Forest so I will check that out too....(oh..and my wanna read list is growing the longer I stay in here thanks to you folks as well....what WILL I do???)

do any of them stand out for you as a personal fave??

Howdy Kathy,

From my list, my favorites that I can watch over and over are The Tall Men, Tall in the Saddle,

Rawhide and Winchester '73. I also like *Pursued* and *Canyon Passage* (both feature stunning

cinematography---the former in noirish black and white and the later in resplendent color)

a lot, but I don't have them recorded or on DVD yet.

Have you seen *Rachel and the Stranger* or Escape from Fort Bravo? Both are William Holden

westerns that are excellent and I forgot to put on my list. R&TS co-stars Robert Mitchum and

Loretta Young and EFFB co-stars Eleanor Parker. If you haven't seen the former film,

I predict you would like it a great deal. Also, I want to mention *The Kentuckian*, which Burt

Lancaster directed and starred in, and which is really quite entertaining and surprisingly

warm (I love Burt, but "warm" isn't an adjective I'd apply to anything but my reactions to him).

(Not to be confused with The Fighting Kentuckian, starring John Wayne and Oliver

Hardy, a fairly entertaining oater but not as good as the other).

*Escape from Fort Bravo*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045737/

*Rachel and the Stranger*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040720/

*The Kentuckian*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048248/

Rachel and the Stranger

Yes...I have seen that one more than once, and you are right...I love this movie! ( my favorite part is when she goes down in the cellar to teach herself how to shoot) I haven't seen it in a while, but I do watch it whenever I get the chance.

The other ones you mentioned I think are going to be headed for my list. I haven't read all the info on them yet, but so far they look like ones I would want to see. I knew I could trust you (and all the other folks on here) to come up w/ some good titles for me. :-)