Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

Howdy, Fordy Guns -- What bothered you if you liked that it was sad and tragic? Do you think it was too extreme a reaction? Because that's what I felt when I first watched the movie. I was bothered by her behavior, I thought she must have been messed up already to react so EXTREME to the point of almost being catatonic. She seemed normal enough in the beginning, if a little nervous.

It's just that the film lacks any kind of sizzle. It's "monotone." The ending is also this way.

>

> It's just that the film lacks any kind of sizzle. It's "monotone." The ending is also this way.

Now that I agree with. It is a dismal film. But it really grips me with it's slowly dawning realization that this could happen to you...

The gunslinger who tries to lay down his peacemaker but the young guns who won't let him..that sort of story can be really interesting with the right actors and competent direction. I know you have reservations about Henry King, but he's an uneven director---some of his films are really quite good and this may be his best western. I think Peck is very good because it's a quiet sort of character he plays something I think is best for him and he really carries the film. I haven't watched it in a while so I'd like to see it again because I'm not sure I remember the ending correctly.

I think it has quite a few admirers around here. Cowboy Chris may be one of them.

You are welcome. You know, for a snippy lass, you're all right. Well, every once in a great while. :P

The gunslinger who tries to lay down his peacemaker but the young guns who won't let him..that sort of story can be really interesting with the right actors and competent direction. I know you have reservations about Henry King, but he's an uneven director---some of his films are really quite good and this may be his best western. I think Peck is very good because it's a quiet sort of character he plays something I think is best for him and he really carries the film. I haven't watched it in a while so I'd like to see it again because I'm not sure I remember the ending correctly.

More Henry King and Peck? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :P And there's no Ava!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> You are welcome. You know, for a snippy lass, you're all right. Well, every once in a great while. :P

>

Who is this speaking? What did you do with Mr Meanie?

> More Henry King and Peck? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :P And there's no Ava!

:D It's not bad at all, it's very good! And rather tough...help me out here, Chris, tell him!

I'm going to watch it tonight.

Who is this speaking? What did you do with Mr Meanie?

Why do you insist on speaking so horribly about Movieman?! How many times must I tell you he's a nice guy.

It's not bad at all, it's very good! And rather tough...help me out here, Chris, tell him!

Rather tough? You're setting me up to not like this one, aren't you?

I'm going to watch it tonight.

Crap! The pressure is on!

> Why do you insist on speaking so horribly about Movieman?! How many times must I tell you he's a nice guy.

>

No one has to tell me that. :)

> It's not bad at all, it's very good! And rather tough...help me out here, Chris, tell him!

>

> Rather tough? You're setting me up to not like this one, aren't you?

>

Of course!

> I'm going to watch it tonight.

>

> Crap! The pressure is on!

I just put in on my computer to maybe grab a screencap or two and I noticed some scenes I don't remember so now I have to see it all the way through. I remember being less than impressed with the leading lady. She isn't much of an actress, not emotional enough. They should have had Ava!

Ha! Can you imagine Ava playing a schoolmarm? Neither can I.

No one has to tell me that.

Evidently, we do! You keep calling him "Mr. Mean"!

I just put in on my computer to maybe grab a screencap or two and I noticed some scenes I don't remember so now I have to see it all the way through. I remember being less than impressed with the leading lady. She isn't much of an actress, not emotional enough. They should have had Ava!

Oh, no. Here we go. Why do I sense an "it was okay" feeling with me?

Ha! Can you imagine Ava playing a schoolmarm? Neither can I.

Oh, yes. She could play that in her sleep. :P

>

> Evidently, we do! You keep calling him "Mr. Mean"!

>

I did not! I called you that!

> Oh, no. Here we go. Why do I sense an "it was okay" feeling with me?

>

You mean that's what you'll think of it? I never know anymore. You hate The Wrong Man and I still can't believe it.

> Oh, yes. She could play that in her sleep. :P

Yes, you'd have to drug her with sleeping pills to get her to play it.

Sorry I'm late to the party. My bride wanted to watch "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

I do like "The Gunfighter." I mentioned Millard Mitchell for honorable mention in my short list of favorite characters. He plays a part that carries a wide flavor. He means business but has a great sense of humor.

It has been awhile so I may get to it tomorrow. Peck is a man who seems to really want to get past the the life he had. The problem is no one will let him. He wants to make things right. Can a man lose what he was? Can he come around to what he and others always wanted/hoped he would be? There is the struggle. You can't always affect an outcome no matter how hard you try.

Yeah, I like it.

Come on Sir Francis. It will cost you around 90 minutes. Then we can all pick on each other.

21,000?!!!

Woohoo!! Way to go, little Missy!

Time to celebrate!! (you know me.. I love any excuse for cake!!) This one calls for something extra special... how about some SPARKLERS!!

1167.jpg

Congrats to Miss G... and here's to 21,000 more!! :-)

How thick am I not to notice such a feat as our MissG has accomplished?

Congratulations on having reached such a magnificent milestone. For having entertained, informed, enlightened us and for being an all around swell gal - I thank you.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, and Ro for the spectacular treats! :D

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Congrats, MissG on another milestone!

>

> How many years did this take?

Embarrassingly, few, Mrs Brittles; only since September 2006. :0

So now I've reached 21, does this mean I have to write like an adult? :P

MAJOR GUNFIGHTER SPOILERS!!!

Howdy, Cowboy,

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry I'm late to the party. My bride wanted to watch "The Picture of Dorian Gray."

>

Did she like it?

> I do like "The Gunfighter." I mentioned Millard Mitchell for honorable mention in my short list of favorite characters. He plays a part that carries a wide flavor. He means business but has a great sense of humor.

>

I watched it last night and Mitchell is by far my favorite character. Oh, he's so good. I just love that he's so tough that he doesn't NEED to wear a gun. Honestly, I never saw him like this before or since! He's fantastic.

> It has been awhile so I may get to it tomorrow. Peck is a man who seems to really want to get past the the life he had. The problem is no one will let him. He wants to make things right. Can a man lose what he was? Can he come around to what he and others always wanted/hoped he would be? There is the struggle. You can't always affect an outcome no matter how hard you try.

>

Yes he was getting buried by his reputation and everything seemed to happen at once.

> Yeah, I like it.

>

> Come on Sir Francis. It will cost you around 90 minutes. Then we can all pick on each other.

Well, I have a confession to make. I came away less impressed this time I watched it. I wanted there to be more tnesion and suspense and I just did not feel that. The pacing or something was off, it felt flacid, too loose. I wasn't worried about those three brothers coming like I should have been. Maybe because seeing Ringo look at the clock didn't have the necessary tension building...I wasn't even sure what the heck he was watching the clock for at first. I even felt if the Skipper (Alan Hale, jr) and Barney Fife ("Hunt Bromely", Skip Homeier---I'm sorry, but he just looked and acted so much like Barney!) were Jimmy Ringo's biggest worries, he shouldn't have bothered.

The cinematography was terrific, as it was done by the gifted Arthur Miller, and Millard made it worth while.

I am divided on the comic moments in the film, too. While I found several of them truly funny (especially "I"ve seen better fights at a prayer meeting" and all the sneers at Barney), I also thought that it severely cut into the tension. I had somehow remembered this film being more austere, and it's not.

Oh, and one last criticism, I did not like the last scene in the church. I think they should have ended on Ringo's last words (though I confess I enjoyed seeing Mitchell kick Barney).