Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

Oh my goodness, Fred, you really opened my eyes to a whole other Audie. I KNEW there was something more to him, something "haunted" and do those lyrics ever bear that out. He just looked so convincingly tormented in The Quiet American, that I felt he must have suffered a lot in real life. I had no idea he was a songwriter. Nor did I know it was Cagney that brought him to Hollywood. Thanks so much for adding some real depth to my impressions of him.

The medals seem to weigh more than him. In many ways.

murphy.jpg

We did mention it. I think "Arkadin" had something on it. Or was that over "there"? I saw it before Christmas. I think Arkadin likened it to "Key Largo" and it reminded me of "Firecreek." Ryan and Ives were good. Though they were on opposite ends of the situation there was a respect for the abilities of the other. I liked it and thought the climax through the blizzard looked quite realistic.

This was a new one to me and glad it was suggested.

Lead on....

Good. I'll revisit it via YouTube tomorrow, if I don't have it recorded, just to refresh myself on the details and then I'll post some opening observations. Anyone who has more to say in the mean time, please jump in.

It's a very interesting and adult western, with Ryan's complex character having to come to terms with a lot of things. The settings I remember seemed to really complement the action going on, including the psychological aspects.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Now this is funny.... did you guys realize that *Firecreek* is on TCM tomorrow night at 10pm ET? I am going to record it if I can.

Yes, ma'am! That's another good one for a ramble. I love Inger in it.

> I thought you guys were already talking about it...maybe I'm confused (as usual).

Were we?! Day of the Outlaw was what I was thinking about throwing in for discussion but Firecreek is fine with me, too. Maybe better, since it is coming up. We can do DotO afterward.

"I thought you guys were already talking about it...maybe I'm confused (as usual)."

Jackaaaaaaaay, is that you slinging mis-information off the saloon balcony again??!! Oooh, what am I doing in a Western thread. 'Scuse me. Harlow's calling me.

> Oh, no I don't want to throw everything off... I just thought it was already on the table.

No I believe we did get in a few posts not long ago on it, but I hadn't seen it in so long I

really didn't have a lot to say. Whatever movie the most people have seen is the one

I'd suggest we get into first. Maybe that should be Firecreek and we can even rope

the Maven into that one. :)

>I thought you guys were already talking about it...maybe I'm confused (as usual).

I talked about it. It was long enough ago I don't recall whether I got a response.

If anyone gets to watch it and wants to go we will go.

Wow, I just saw a Clint Eastwood movie I finally liked. I've never liked him in anything. And while I still have huge reservations about his style and acting, I did like Hang 'Em High overall. I liked the story most. And Inger. I'm very surprised, I never thought I'd take to one of his film, ever. I did have to turn away from several scenes, but it still kept my interest. I could see Gary Cooper in a role like that, and it's curious that Clint's character is named "Cooper".

I liked Firecreek way more this time around than ever. I never realized how many different roles there were for women in this film. And I'd forgotten just how it ended, I mean for Larkin (Henry Fonda).

I thought Hang Em High was better this time. Of course, it kills me to see Ben get bumped off so quickly.....

>I could see Gary Cooper in a role like that, and it's curious that Clint's character is named "Cooper".

That's funny, I never noticed how Coop like he was..... but you are right.

I was mighty disappointed at Ben's early disappearance, too---he should have had

the role of the Judge, wow, would that have been sensational.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> A good two-fer. Yea!

It was! I really enjoyed last night's westerns. I even stayed up for A TIME FOR KILLING,

but thought it the least of the three. Inger was good as always, but Glenn Ford was too

cold and unemotional. George Hamilton did surprise me how effective he was as a crazy

Confederate officer.

MissGoddess: I've not been my best this week and could not stay awake for Firecreek which I wanted to do. Thanks to your recommendation I'll be looking for it again. The only thing I remember is James Stewart talking to a very pregnant but familiar looking redhead I finally realized was the usually brunette but always good Jacqueline Scott. Oh, and Stewart talking to Fonda in a store or something like it. I want to see the rest.

>>It didn't hurt "Hang "Em High" to have good ol" Ben Johnson in it either....Just wish his role had been larger....

Way back when I first saw the film theatrically, it seemed obvious how disjointed that film is. Not that it was made-for-TV, but it was filmed like one - you can see where the commercial breaks would be placed.

Actors come and go for little apparent reason. Was Dennis Hopper needed for two minutes? Was there really a point to his scene? Ben Johnson and Alan Hale are casually explained away in terms of why they're no longer in the film. It's as if the actors were signed up for a day or two for name value with little concern for defining the characters or doing much with them.

Not long after I first saw the film, I ran into actor Bruce Scott who played the youngest of the rustlers. He said he thought he was done with his role and that he was then called back for the big hanging scene. Apparently that was an afterthought. Notice that James MacArthur only shows up for that sequence.

Clint is really quite the superman in that film, to the degree of really straining credibility. He survives the hanging, then manages to live after three six-shooters empty out into him. Next he gets a fever while out with Inger Stevens but she manages to keep him warm enough to survive.

The main bad-guy's death is also puzzling. He's in the house and rather than face Eastwood, he commits suicide by hanging himself. Wouldn't it have been easier to use the gun in his hand? Good thing that rope was handy. If the point was the irony in him dying that way when he hung an innocent man, it was lost in being so unbelievable.

Wouldbestar---I hope you get to watch Firecreek one of these days and share your impressions.

It's a movie I didn't cotton to when I first saw it, but it's grown on my and now I find it one of

the better ones I've seen lately.

Clore---you bring up some excellent points---I even thought about the "Made-for-TV" aspect

of the film when I saw the director was Ted Post, who directed a lot of TV shows. Oddly enough,

Firecreek, which followed Hang 'Em High, was also directed by a TV veteran: Vincent McEveety.

I only know their names because I see them so often attached to "Gunsmoke" and other programs

of the era.

MAJOR HANG 'EM HIGH SPOILERS:

I also thought it rather incredible that Clint's character survived the, umm, odds. It made him

seem like a superhero.

One other thing that perplexed me was how things were left hanging (ha) between him and Inger

Stevens' character. I would have liked to have clarified whether his remaining a law man somehow

made things impossible between them or not. He just rode off and we never saw her reaction.

I wonder if by the time we got to the late 60s TV directors slipped easily between the two forms. We already had Andrew McLaglen who did a ton of "Have Gun - Will Travel" and nearly as many "Gunsmoke" episodes.

They weren't doing the big budget westerns but they were doing solid work.

Slightly off topic - look at Simon Wincer who gave us the much respected and beloved "Lonesome Dove" was mostly a director of TV work. He had a few films "Quigley Down Under" (which my children used to "That Q Guy) and "Free Willy" but one might hardly think that the levels were equal to the work he did for television westerns. And he is from Australia.

I remember I had the same basic reaction to this film when I first saw it. As soon as Directed by Ted Post came up . the first thing I though about was " uh oh " a TV director. There is nothing wrong with TV directors and like movieman states there are many who cross over, but it does have that TV feel to it, This was Eastwoods first production under his Malpaso Company. Story was Post and producer Leonard Freeman clashed during production and Eastwood backed his director. Post directed almost as many feature films as he did made for TV movies, but I always associate him with "Gunsmoke" "Combat" "Payton Place" shows among others. He also directed Eastwood in "Magnum Force" and that also reminded me of a made for TV. Story was Sergio Leone was approached to direct but he was busy with "Once Upon a Time in the West" and was unable...

On another note Ted Post directed one of the very best films about our involvement in Vietnam called "Go Tell the Spartans" with Burt Lancaster in one of the best roles of his career, if you have never seen this well made and acted movie, run to the nearest video rental and do yourself a favor. A very small budget film, Lancaster called the script brilliant and when the budget ran over Lancaster put up $150,00 of his own money to make sure it was finished.......