Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles


Recommended Posts

I've had some rare time to sit down and do a bit of reading and found the whole religion in film conversation quite interesting. I haven't seen *Hell's Hinges*, but I personally find *Night of the Hunter* full of Christian messages and symbolism. I'm not a fan of *Pvt. York*, but not because of any religious aspects--I just didn't care for the movie. If anything, it can easily be viewed as a propagandistic effort to encourage enlistment in the second world war.

 

Having said that, *The Bravados* (1958) will be appearing on FMC this week (Thursday), and is an interesting tale of spirituality and vengeance that I think most of you guys would enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Arky,

 

I wish TCM would air *The Bravados*, I know a few people here don't get FMC or Encore. I may try to record it if i can just remember.

 

I agree with you about Sgt. York's ultimate agenda. I seem to recall reading Hawks quoted as saying something about that.

 

I don't remember the spiritual dimension of The Bravados too well, except for something at the end. I really need to re-watch it. It used to be my very favorite Peck western. Still is one of my favorites because his character is so relentless, not something i'm used to from him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Arkadin. I believe you should watch Hell's Hinges. Jackie is correct, it's an important western. You could even say it's an "essential" western. I see it as an early incarnation of Shane. It's just Shane is much more complex with what the avenging angel encounters. The comparison to High Plains Drifter is also apt. And, you can decide for yourself if you find the film to be a "religious" film.

 

So, if you find the time (just over an hour), I hope you take a view of Hell's Hinges.

 

And thanks for the comments on The Night of the Hunter and Sergeant York. I do expect the latter to be a propaganda film, but I understand the reasons why. Even Hitch and Lang, my two favorite directors, made their prop films during that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}I don't remember the spiritual dimension of The Bravados too well, except for something at the end. I really need to re-watch it. It used to be my very favorite Peck western. Still is one of my favorites because his character is so relentless, not something i'm used to from him.

 

Much of it has to do with Peck's refusal to submit to the idea that vengeance does not belong to him (Romans 12:19/ Leviticus 19:18). His desire to find his wife's killers fractures his life and relationships in both the physical and spiritual sense. We see this in the beginning when he is unable to walk into the church and participate in mass, which brings him full circle at the end of the film. Have I already said too much?

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote} And thanks for the comments on The Night of the Hunter and Sergeant York. I do expect the latter to be a propaganda film, but I understand the reasons why. Even Hitch and Lang, my two favorite directors, made their prop films during that time.

 

 

 

I didn't mean propaganda in a good or bad sense (and yes, there are good forms of propaganda). I just meant that aspect overrode the religious connotations for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

>

> Much of it has to do with Peck's refusal to submit to the idea that vengeance does not belong to him (Romans 12:19/ Leviticus 19:18). His desire to find his wife's killers fractures his life and relationships in both the physical and spiritual sense. We see this in the beginning when he is unable to walk into the church and participate in Mass, which brings him full circle at the end of the film. Have I already said too much?

 

Not for me you didn't, because now I see exactly what you mean. I was so immature most of the times I watched it, that any depth escaped me. I haven't matured much but we'll see what more I can glean on this next viewing, thanks to your direction. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mean propaganda in a good or bad sense (and yes, there are good forms of propaganda). I just meant that aspect overrode the religious connotations for me.

 

Oh, okay. I definitely anticipate a lot of "rah-rah" with both the war and religion, hence my reservations for watching the film for the longest time. But I still need to watch it. Quite often, my preconceptions are much stronger than the end result. I just don't want to choke on it all. That's when I've got a problem with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad that even if you didn't like it, you still think of it as essential viewing.

 

You beat it into me. :P

 

All of what you wrote about the film was great and true. You were right, it's a strong western. If it wasn't for the heavy religious themes, I'd like it a lot more. So it's purely a matter of personal taste, in that area. The actual film itself, particularly the directing and ending, are terrific. I don't think there is any disputing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a strong western. If it wasn't for the heavy religious themes...

 

OH good gravy, Grey Guy,

 

Now if ONLY you had described it all like THAT back when we were chatting things up a few days ago... ha. Think of all the typo's I would have spared you all from reading in my longwinded responses. HA. :P Because I probably would (and sort of did) say the same thing.. (at least in terms of describing what the film is like) It IS a "strong western" with some "heavy religious themes". We just have a different interpretation of what that means as far as the PURPOSE for the film, I guess.

 

The way you were describing it all earlier.. ha... I almost half expected Charlton Heston to jump out at any minute and part the Rio Grande or something... HA! :P:P:P (KIDDING.. .only kidding.. ha. Gee.. I am NORMALLY not so rotten.. I think you must be a bad influence on me latley. HA) :P

 

PS: Mr. Arkadin.. thanks for stopping by and chiming in. Hope you get a chance to watch HH soon. It truly is a remarkable film.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

 

> The way you were describing it all earlier.. ha... *I almost half expected Charlton Heston to jump out at any minute and part the Rio Grande or something... HA!* :P:P:P (KIDDING.. .only kidding.. ha.

 

 

Oh Lordy, that made me laugh!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...