Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

RIDE LONESOME SPOILER

I disagree. I think the Boetticher movies are most interesting in depicting the relationships between the antagonists. I was led to believe one way about Boone, and then to qualify my idea of him as a "villain" just as I was tempted to with Frank (Richard Boone) in The Tall T. It is less straightforward, and more interesting to me that way.

I wanted a better pay-off. What I liked most about Ride Lonesome was that Brigade was being chased by a guy we didn't know but his greatest threat may be the guy next to him, the one we come to know. So there was this constant feeling of tension and trouble in the air. Then we get to the end and that tension and trouble turns out to be an empty threat. I felt let down.

I found the ending very powerful, not just because it was unexpected, but

because of all the facets of Brigade's character it revealed (mostly) in terms of action.

He was ducedly clever; he was ruthless, willing to be as cold blooded as the

killers with Billy's life; he was unafraid to die for it; he was an avenger of his

wife's death, not a bounty hunter; he was still loyal to his wife (he didn't

ride off with Mrs. Lane) and he was generous enough to give an outlaw like

Boone his second chance. All this came out in the last several minutes of

the movie. I like that. And I felt it more than paid off the earlier tensions.

That was excellent, Fordy Guns. I can see why you enjoyed the ending so much. I was on the other end. I felt cheated. Brigade's revenge was quick and the threat of Boone was an idle one. Frank (Lee Van Cleef) was flimsy. I prefer the villains and threats in Seven Men from Now and The Tall T a heckuva lot more. I felt exhausted after watching those two films. Here, I felt like "that's it?" We didn't even break a sweat. The woman is pointless in this film. In the other two, the women are vital.

> I agree.. because I completely did NOT see it coming at all. In fact.. ha.. and maybe again it seemed like this because I missed some of the early parts, but the movie was over and I suddenly looked around and said out loud.. "Already?" ha. But then again.. I think it really WAS over (especially for Scott's character) so why not say "the end" ha.

>

Do you remember what part you came in on? There weren't too many hints

about what was coming that I recall specifically. Boone's surmises about why

Brigade was leaving such a "clear trail" for Frank to follow, "almost as if he

wanted them to catch up with us", being the biggest clue.

> I am used to seeing him much "grittier" or at the very least much more "cunning" and/or "treacherous" ha. So it caught me off guard for sure. I agree.. I don't think he was vicious.. and I think he was even suprised when Billy started telling him how vicious FRANK was.. up to then I don't think he realized what sort of folks he was dealing with.. even indirectly.

>

Cunning is a great adjective for JC. He was generally a sly dog.

> Up to a point.. because I don't think he was "ruthless" or as you say.. "viscious". So IF Boone HAD turned out worse than he was.. or if they had hooked up w/ Frank's bunch.. and one of them told him to do something REALLY awful (against Scott.. or even the girl, etc) I think he'd have balked.. and maybe gotten killed.. in fact THAT is what I was expecting.. again not knowing for sure how BAD (or should I say "black hatted" ha) Robert's character was or was not. Whew.. what a relief they were both just "grey" after all. ha.

>

You are right. The first indication of that was when he and Boone were

shoveling the graves and Whit complained of it not being "Christian" to

just bury them and not read over them.

RIDE LONESOME SPOILER

> I wanted a better pay-off. What I liked most about Ride Lonesome was that Brigade was being chased by a guy we didn't know but his greatest threat may be the guy next to him, the one we come to know. So there was this constant feeling of tension and trouble in the air. Then we get to the end and that tension and trouble turns out to be an empty threat. I felt let down.

>

I didn't find it empty at all.

> That was excellent, Fordy Guns. I can see why you enjoyed the ending so much. I was on the other end. I felt cheated. Brigade's revenge was quick and the threat of Boone was an idle one. Frank (Lee Van Cleef) was flimsy. I prefer the villains and threats in Seven Men from Now and The Tall T a heckuva lot more. I felt exhausted after watching those two films. Here, I felt like "that's it?" We didn't even break a sweat. The woman is pointless in this film. In the other two, the women are vital.

But we didn't know Boone was an "idle" threat until the very last minute. I count all that went before and I was relieved. I was liking the man and wanted it work out. How many westerns end like that, with the antagonists parting and wishing each other well? Fabulous.

I totally agree about the girl. Had an actress played the part, it at least would have been more interesting. As it was, she really was just "filler" and something for the men to gawk over. Although I got the feeling Boone found her a bore, and he was right.

MORE RIDE LONESOME and TALL T SPOILERS

> I think that if Richard Boone had gotten his ranch, he would have given it up as it involved too much work. This is a man who is responsible for the death of a child, even if it was his henchman that did it. He might like to think he's different than the animals that he rides with, but as Brennan noted, he does ride with them. It's too late for Usher to find his moral compass.

>

Well said. That he could not even recognize how far he had fallen clearly separates him from a man like Sam Boone.

> But Sam Boone is different - we don't know the extent of his crimes, but he does appear to be basically decent. Little things like worrying about the passengers on the stage bring that out. Usher would have dumped them in the well. If Boone earned his amnesty by killing Brigade, he would step over the line and probably not be able to cross back, even though he could fool himself for a few days, months or years.

>

Not knowing if he would cross that line or not, really kept me on the edge of my seat.

I could not remember if he bought it in the end or not.

> But while these may appear to be simple little programmers shot in two weeks on a minimal budget, what makes them stand up today against bigger-budgeted brethren is that that appearance is deceptive. They've transcended their origins. They're a lot more psychological than those big westerns that coined the phrase in the 50s, it's just that few paid attention.

Indeed that is ever so true. I can watch them frequently and they remain "crisp" and fresh,

while some others limp along and have no layers or complex characters.

I didn't find it empty at all.

Yes, I know. The ending was a very pleasant one. And that's what made it a huge letdown for me.

But we didn't know Boone was an "idle" threat until the very last minute. I count all that went before and I was relieved. I was liking the man and wanted it work out. How many westerns end like that, with the antagonists parting and wishing each other well? Fabulous.

For me, I felt cheated. All that way, listening to Boone yap about this and that and he ends up getting what he wants. Blah. We wait the entire film to meet Frank and the ending goes so neatly for Brigade. I prefer an ending like High Noon. There we are waiting for a Frank and we are on edge the entire time. We are also wondering about Amy and what she will decide to do. The ending is much more dramatic and impactful. That's one I felt. In this one, it was "that's it?" Sigh.

I totally agree about the girl. Had an actress played the part, it at least would have been more interesting. As it was, she really was just "filler" and something for the men to gawk over. Although I got the feeling Boone found her a bore, and he was right.

I don't think it's the actress. I believe it's the character. Why is she along for the ride?

>

> Yes, I know. The ending was a very pleasant one. And that's what made it a huge letdown for me.

>

sigh. I guess being a woman, finding out what happened to his wife, seeing the

tree, his vengeance and the burning of the tree hit me hard and left me chilled.

I didn't find the ending pleasant. I wanted it to be right with Boone, had it not, I

felt THAT would have been predictable. We expect the bad to end badly.

> For me, I felt cheated. All that way, listening to Boone yap about this and that and he ends up getting what he wants. Blah. We wait the entire film to meet Frank and the ending goes so neatly for Brigade. I prefer an ending like High Noon. There we are waiting for a Frank and we are on edge the entire time. We are also wondering about Amy and what she will decide to do. The ending is much more dramatic and impactful. That's one I felt. In this one, it was "that's it?" Sigh.

>

So you were cheated of a predictable ending. I prefer the unusual and unpredictable.

> I don't think it's the actress. I believe it's the character. Why is she along for the ride?

For me, who is playing the part can at least keep me from being annoyed and there would have been some chemistry to enjoy between Brigade and Mrs. Lane. That would lead to a feeling of yearning at their ultimate parting. But here, because we have Miss January 1959, I was annoyed every time she spoke and glad he sent her packing.

sigh. I guess being a woman, finding out what happened to his wife, seeing the

tree, his vengeance and the burning of the tree hit me hard and left me chilled.

I didn't find the ending pleasant. I wanted it to be right with Boone, had it not, I

felt THAT would have been predictable. We expect the bad to end badly.

The end for Brigade is a good one. I have no problem with that. I just felt the pay-off didn't match the rest of the film, which I liked. We all know we're headed to something. Well, what we got didn't match my expectations. It fell short.

So you were cheated of a predictable ending. I prefer the unusual and unpredictable.

Yes, it probably would have been a predictable ending, but it could have been so much more interesting. The culmination of the tension seemed to end in a minute. Then Brigade basically kisses Boone. Yes, it's unique. You are very correct about that. But I didn't find it absorbing.

For me, who is playing the part can at least keep me from being annoyed and there would have been some chemistry to enjoy between Brigade and Mrs. Lane. That would lead to a feeling of yearning at their ultimate parting. But here, because we have Miss January 1959, I was annoyed every time she spoke and glad he sent her packing.

Okay, let's say Constance Towers played her. So what's the purpose of the character? I just don't understand why she's there. And what's with her ending?

> Yes, it probably would have been a predictable ending, but it could have been so much more interesting. The culmination of the tension seemed to end in a minute. Then Brigade basically kisses Boone. Yes, it's unique. You are very correct about that. But I didn't find it absorbing.

>

That's our different sensibilities. I don't find sheer violence absorbing.

> Okay, let's say Constance Towers played her. So what's the purpose of the character? I just don't understand why she's there. And what's with her ending?

No no...I DO agree that the character is rather pointless, except to keep perhaps as "scenery"

for the likes of you and for the benefit of any women in the audience looking for romance in the

movie. There are many such characters in movies, and I don't have any problem (and I do look for the romance) so long as I can at least tolerate the performer. I guess it's like what you said in the Lang thread about men and women putting different weight on how a part is cast.

Do you remember what part you came in on? There weren't too many hints

about what was coming that I recall specifically. Boone's surmises about why

Brigade was leaving such a "clear trail" for Frank to follow, "almost as if he

wanted them to catch up with us", being the biggest clue.

Well good.. ha. I must have been better at reading how HARD he was to read than I thought, ha.

And to answer your question, I missed about the first 30 minutes or so, actually. I am not entirely sure exactly when I came in (because after I turned it on..ha. I STILL had "stuff" going on all around me (for a few more minutes)between getting the kidling ready for bathtime.. and the QT wanting cake for dessert..ha.So my full attention was decidedly less than "undivided" ha. I was more than a little distracted for the first few minutes even AFTER I started watching so I can't say for sure where I picked up w/ things. But I think more or less I can REALLY account for everything after they made camp (the night before the pics that the Grey Guy posted) Some of the events that night were a bit foggy becuase I missed a lot of what they were saying.. I think someone had recently died.. or was dying.. but I missed WHO they were and why they died. (so I must have also missed that whole "grave digging" thing you mentioned) And am I right in assuming they "inherited" the girl because something happened to her husband? That is what I was gathering from what I heard them say later on.

I really did have a lot of "piecing" together to do to catch the rest of it. (and again.. that is likely why I was suprised when it ended so early.. it is not a very long film. Usually the first thirty minutes still leaves more than an hour or so to be able to catch up on things.But this one.. not quite that much. I will try to keep an eye out for it again and maybe catch the WHOLE thing this time.

PS: Grey Guy.. (after saying all that I did above, ha)

What I liked most about Ride Lonesome was that Brigade was being chased by a guy we didn't know but his greatest threat may be the guy next to him... So there was this constant feeling of tension and trouble in the air

Well said. I liked that element too (though I must confess I really did not know how big a part VanCleef's character played early on in the story) I liked that I did NOT feel comfortable about letting my guard down on Boone pretty much the ENTIRE time I was watching him.

I did not mind that things turned out as they did for him AND everyone else, really. Though I do confess the ending was "abrubt" for me.

Then we get to the end and that tension and trouble turns out to be an empty threat. I felt let down

Well, it must be one of those "perspective" things again.. HA. I thought it was a pretty interesting twist to the character and the story to see him turn out to NOT be such a jerk as he COULD have been in a more "typical" storyline. It was an suprising turn of events but not disappointing. (at least for me)

To me.. if I could have maybe changed anything.. it MIGHT have been more of a "dramatic" moment with Scott setting fire to the tree.. instead of us only seeing it burning.. after he had already set it ablaze.

But MAYBE also I would have liked more of a chat between Roberts and Scott at the end too.. instead of him just handing over "Roscoe P Coltrane" to them without an apparent second thought.

But who am I to say, ha. I guess he HAD been thinking and planning to do that more or less all along.. (oh sure.. I can say that NOW., ha.. But before it all played out..I had no clue) He played everything so close to the vest we really did not get to see too much of what he had going on inside his head so it had a real nice element of surprise that somehow worked for me. Usually I do not like that so much "mystery" in a character as far as their "motives" are concerned.. but for some reason this time I did not mind)

And that "close to the vest thing" is something I find often in a lot of "Scott" westerns. It is not just his "stone face" thing either.. (that we talked about a bit in Tall T) It is just that his characters are SO "strong and silent" sometimes that they are almost TOO silent and I have a hard time understanding their real reasons for what they do. And again.. ususally that bothers me.. but this time for some reason it did not.

Ha.. and I just saw the exchange between you and Miss G.. glad to know I am not the only one who likes a suprise.

Edited by: rohanaka on Oct 20, 2010 11:50 PM

That's our different sensibilities. I don't find sheer violence absorbing.

The end is on the violent side, so it's not about violence. It lacks drama.

Did Frank really mean anything in this film? He's an extremely weak character.

No no...I DO agree that the character is rather pointless, except to keep perhaps as "scenery"

for the likes of you and for the benefit of any women in the audience looking for romance in the

movie. There are many such characters in movies, and I don't have any problem (and I do look for the romance) so long as I can at least tolerate the performer. I guess it's like what you said in the Lang thread about men and women putting different weight on how a part is cast.

I guess the "romance" is between Mrs. Lane and Boone. But, really, she's purely there for eye candy. The women in Seven Men from Now and The Tall T are big aspects of the story and their endings mean something to us. Especially from an emotional standpoint. What about Mrs. Lane? Do we care? I didn't have an emotional reaction to the end of this film like I did the others.

You missed a half hour?! The film is only an hour long! :P Get crackin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-GW5ZDGi8

Ha.. and I just saw the exchange between you and Miss G.. glad to know I am not the only one who likes a suprise.

What a boring, uneventful surprise! Boetticher should have taken the final step and carried out the tension further. But I know the reason he didn't was to show that Brigade didn't care about the money. It made his character all the better. The film is about Brigade. The others really don't matter much. I wish they did. The film that is most similar to Ride Lonesome is The Naked Spur. I absolutely love the ending to that film and I believe all the characters come to matter. Not so much here.

>>So what's the purpose of the character? I just don't understand why she's there.

She's the neutral observer. She questions Brigade's motives, Billy tries to use her to help get free, knowing full well that the others have too much at stake to aid him. Boone admits to her that he wants to kill Brigade, Brigade tells her the story of the tree...

Exposition is bounced off her, she gets to ask the questions that the audience is wondering, all in the purpose of moving the story along.

Get crackin'

HEY!! Thanks for posting that.Iswear I THOUGHT I looked for this film on youtube a while back when you first mentioned it.. but maybe I am thinking of another one.. my memory gets fuzzy that way in my old age, ha.

So now.. "woo hoo" I watched all the parts I missed.. (it was basically the first three youtubes.. so thirty minutes is about right. I came in pretty much all the way after that. (although NOW I am going to be holding my eyes open w/ scotch tape in the morning. ha)

OH.. and NOW after watching.. I am even MORE convinced that Scott's character did exactly what he was planning on doing (with regard to giving Billy over to Boone and Whit) at least based on the conversation where Boone tells him that he WANTS to take Billy from him.

Which gives me a whole "re-think" on Boone.. hmmm... WOULD he have told him that IF he were a REAL "black hat"? Possibly. (to try and psyche him out maybe) but I am not so sure. I think he was on the up and up.. even if he was rather "un-readable" because of his "smart mouth" attitudes.

Oh.. ha..and good golly.. that Billy. MY GOODNESS ME what a snivelling weasle. I knew he was a big jerk (from the parts I had already seen) but WOW. What a low-life. (may I just say.. EWWW!) ha. Those opening moments w/ that whole exchange between Scott and his character.. I wanted to reach out and hit him with a big fat ROCK. ha.

PS Miss G and Clore.. nice catch on "Hondo" I see it even MORE now (after watching the earlier portions of the film. .right down to Boone's character telling the story about the wife who just one day decided to "up and kill" her husband.. because she got "mad". That is almost line for line out of the other movie. (if memory serves)

The Grey Guys says:

The film that is most similar to Ride Lonesome is The Naked Spur

I am not 100% sure but I THINK that is one I have not seen yet. (if I have seen it, it is not ringing any bells) And I usually love Jimmy.. .so I don't know why.. but for some reason I have never sought it out, though I have heard it spoken of very favorably.

I found the ending a good one.

*SPOILERS*

I didn't watch it last night (I have the Boetticher set) but at the end he dispatches his demons and his past. He takes care of the two things that have burdened him all these years. That man and that tree. He is free to get on with what is left for him. No worries, no reminders. He can move on.

I think Steele is no better or worse than what is asked of her. She is fairly lightweight in "Westbound" as well but she is not carrying the story. She was beautiful though.

howdy, ro

> Which gives me a whole "re-think" on Boone.. hmmm... WOULD he have told him that IF he were a REAL "black hat"? Possibly. (to try and psyche him out maybe) but I am not so sure. I think he was on the up and up.. even if he was rather "un-readable" because of his "smart mouth" attitudes.

>

I like what you said earlier about how the movie and his performance doesn't encourage

you to let your guard down about Boone. That's a perfect description of how I felt and

what I suspect may have been the intent of the film makers. Our experience with previous

Scott/Boetticher antagonists was that they were going to end up bad to the bone. It is as

if we were being set up for those twists at the end.

I felt like I had my eyes on Boone so much, wondering what his next move would

be, that I forgot about Frank (Van Cleef) until his name was mentioned. Scott is great

at projecting his singlemindedness, though; you can tell he is thinking about Frank the

entire time.

> Oh.. ha..and good golly.. that Billy. MY GOODNESS ME what a snivelling weasle. I knew he was a big jerk (from the parts I had already seen) but WOW. What a low-life. (may I just say.. EWWW!) ha. Those opening moments w/ that whole exchange between Scott and his character.. I wanted to reach out and hit him with a big fat ROCK. ha.

>

ha ha! Billy was a "snivelling weasle", good description. And what was that great exchange

between Brigade and Frank at the end? When Frank, unconvincingly, pleads for Billy saying

he's so young and Brigade answers something about Billy being as old as his gun? I forget the

words but it was a great answer. Lots of times people will try to mitigate a crime based on

the youth of the perpetraitor, but out West Brigade knew boys grow into men quickly and have

to take responsibility for their actions. In contrast, he gives a second chance to an OLDER criminal,

Boone, because he is wise enough to realize his errors and that there is no peace unless he

changes his ways.

> PS Miss G and Clore.. nice catch on "Hondo" I see it even MORE now (after watching the earlier portions of the film. .right down to Boone's character telling the story about the wife who just one day decided to "up and kill" her husband.. because she got "mad". That is almost line for line out of the other movie. (if memory serves)

>

It's one of the funniest lines.

I'm glad you got to see it all, and I hope you enjoyed it.

> The end is on the violent side, so it's not about violence. It lacks drama.

>

I don't know, I think it's a marvelous twist that the young kid isn't going to

get the breaks just because of his youth, but an older, wiser outlaw is to

be granted a second chance.

> Did Frank really mean anything in this film? He's an extremely weak character.

>

Well, you may be right and I do think Van Cleef played him rather soft, surprisingly.

with the build up, I was expecting someone nasty and cold blooded like the other

Frank in Once Upon a Time in the West. However, I thought the twist with

Boone's character made up for a lot, and I still find what Frank did to Brigade's

wife pretty harrowing on its own.

> I guess the "romance" is between Mrs. Lane and Boone. But, really, she's purely there for eye candy. The women in Seven Men from Now and The Tall T are big aspects of the story and their endings mean something to us. Especially from an emotional standpoint. What about Mrs. Lane? Do we care? I didn't have an emotional reaction to the end of this film like I did the others.

I did get a lot from the ending, but I agree about the girl and I do still prefer *7 Men From Now* and

*The Tall T* but this one was pretty good, especially the ending.

Howdy do, movieman!

> *SPOILERS*

>

> I didn't watch it last night (I have the Boetticher set) but at the end he dispatches his demons and his past. He takes care of the two things that have burdened him all these years. That man and that tree. He is free to get on with what is left for him. No worries, no reminders. He can move on.

>

I got that sense of it, too. It was like an exorcism.

> I think Steele is no better or worse than what is asked of her. She is fairly lightweight in "Westbound" as well but she is not carrying the story. She was beautiful though.

I guess she adds to the scenery. :D

Karen Steele was also Boetticher's main squeeze at the time and there were announcements that he would marry her as soon as his divorce was final. Somehow the relationship died rather quickly and Budd married Debra Paget just as fast. That didn't last long, but the man had a good eye for the ladies.

Steele actually does a decent job in MARTY where she is deglammed to some extent and entirely believable as the sister-in-law experiencing some problems with her live-in mother-in-law.

She may not have much to do in WESTBOUND but there is a key scene that she handles well. Her husband has arrived home from the Civil War and is missing an arm. When they first meet again, she rushes to embrace him and there is a look of realizing "my man is missing something" and then she regains her composure.

And i like the look on her face when she waves goodbye to Scott at the end of that film. When the camera would emphasize her face, she was capable of revealing emotion.

Edited by: clore on Oct 21, 2010 3:49 PM

Just a comment or two...

I didn?t think the ending bad at all though I agree it happened rather in a flash. It may have lacked drama in some respects but the option to have an ending with a twist like that was meant to be just as satisfying and for me it was. I had come to like Boone so much that a bona fide confrontation between the two would have been a dilemma for me. The story may have been more about Brigade but I liked Boone better. He was the more interesting character, IMO. Had they dueled it out Brigade would have had to win and the story and depiction of Boone made me not want to see him as a loser. Boone had his past and kept us guessing a lot but he was likable and in the end he had become sympathetic. Both Boone and Brigade come out winners and I can see how that can be unsatisfying for some, like a football game that ends in a tie, ugh?... The ending was unexpected but Boone's burgeoning appeal as a decent sort nearly came to rival that of Brigades and I think that is what set us up for a draw. It was okay with me.

I liked James Coburn. I didn?t know it was him at first. Who is that, I kept saying. He was so young. I agree that Whit was not vicious but it takes a while to get that. The first time we see him (at the station) he appears almost demented, that craven, drooly laugh, as if he couldn?t wait to torture someone. Absolutely creepy. But, as someone as pointed out, he makes the remark about the Christian burial and then later he betrays a decency and soft core when he appears genuinely appalled that something bad might happen Mrs Lane when Frank and the boys come. Finally, there he is beaming boyishly practically overcome when Boone declares him a partner in the running of the ranch. I am probably being a bit too earnest here but I was actually a little moved by the exchange. It was a genuine friendship thing going on there between guys. :) MissG, I know you said this was ?hilarious? and perhaps it is :) But I never for an instant felt that Boone was insincere and once again Boone is seen in a good light. Whit is not vicious. He is simple, a bit callow, maybe even a little wayward mentally. I almost have the impression that he might not be able to quite live on his own.

So it?s generally agreed, then?Mrs Lane is in the movie out of mere convention. When I was a kid, a movie was ?dry? if a woman was not in it. So there she is?and, of course, she has to be pretty?with pretty eyes ;) . She may have been pretty but there were limits. Even the Mescalero didn?t come back for her. Oh, I know, they were ?shamed.? Too bad. Why don?t they just know that women act like that from time to time :P .

Van Cleeve has always been ?flimsy? to me. He has the look of a bad man but and he tries hard to act that way but he never convinces me. He arrives late in the story (in person, anyway) and doesn?t have much time to show how despicable he is so I latched on to those ?barbaric? details about how he hung a woman and says he ?forgot about it.? I hated him all the more for it and I was able to imagine more vividly how Brigade must have felt (although to have known simply that your wife was killed by this man might have been enough). It would have been a different movie, of course, but at the end Frank might have temporarily withdrew from the scene, surmising that Brigade was unlikely to hang his brother in cold blood. Frank knew that it was himself, not his brother,that Brigade was after.

=

Bonjour...or shall I say, "how do" M. Laffite. So glad to see you on this side of town!

> I liked James Coburn....Finally, there he is beaming boyishly practically overcome when Boone declares him a partner in the running of the ranch. I am probably being a bit too earnest here but I was actually a little moved by the exchange. It was a genuine friendship thing going on there between guys. :) MissG, I know you said this was hilarious and perhaps it is :) But I never for an instant felt that Boone was insincere and once again Boone is seen in a good light. Whit is not vicious. He is simple, a bit callow, maybe even a little wayward mentally. I almost have the impression that he might not be able to quite live on his own.

>

I completely agree. You know, his relationship with Boone reminds me

a lot of the James Stewart/Walter Brennan one in *The Far Country*. Both

pairs were planning on that ranch, and in each case you certainly feel that

the one guy was looking out for his pal. When I say JC was "hilarious", I

do mean his reaction was comical, but sweet. I don't think I was used to

seeing Coburn that way, either, ha.

All in all, it would have been a shame had Boone gone back the other

way and poor Whit would have been kind of lost. another reason I like

the ending, too. :)

> So its generally agreed, thenMrs Lane is in the movie out of mere convention. When I was a kid, a movie was dry if a woman was not in it. So there she isand, of course, she has to be prettywith pretty eyes ;) . She may have been pretty but there were limits. Even the Mescalero didnt come back for her. Oh, I know, they were shamed. Too bad. Why dont they just know that women act like that from time to time :P .

>

Hahahaaaaa! That killed me! :D Yes, the Indians didn't keep coming back

like they did for mrs. lowe in *hondo* even if mrs. lane was a whole lot prettier, so

that says something, lol.

Are you watching Bad Lands, MissG? fredb?

I came in at about 5 of 8:00 am, and couldn't take my eyes off of it. What caught my eye was Francis Ford with a big meaty role - he's wonderful. Then as I have watched, I find that it looks like a remake of Ford's Lost Patrol!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Are you watching Bad Lands, MissG? fredb?

>

> I came in at about 5 of 8:00 am, and couldn't take my eyes off of it. What caught my eye was Francis Ford with a big meaty role - he's wonderful. Then as I have watched, I find that it looks like a remake of Ford's Lost Patrol!

i was awake for a good piece of it (though i missed the beginning)..i tried to stay awake because Francis' role was so big...i didn't see enough to get the *Lost Patrol* angle...how cool!

It was a really good solid western, with a great story. I caught the Lost Patrol connection when one of the men started to lose it. They played it out right to the same ending and eveything. They even dug the graves with the little crosses...but the crosses didn't glow eerily, and it did not have the magic of the Ford pic. However, it was still well worth watching. The cast was really the hook for me - Francis, Robert Barrat, Noah Beery, Jr. Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams, Andy Clyde, Robert Coote, and apparently John Payne, but I must have missed him.

i thought it was cool these guys got to carry a movie, instead of any big, big stars.

i missed john payne, too (what a cutie, i like him a lot). did you notice Francis' outfit

is one similar to what he wore in my darling clem and stagecoach (was that a "Union"

cap he had on)? i'll definitely look to record it next time it should air.