Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

wouldbestar said

I also got introduced to Ride Lonesome last night which I liked very much.

From what you described, I have a sense that you mean RIDING SHOTGUN. There were no town scenes in RIDE LONESOME but I suire could have ridden away with the woman in there also.

:0 Clore, you are so right; I have the wrong title. Thank you! Both movies are good but of course you'd expect them to given the pedigree.

With all the 50's Warner Bros. Westerns showing up on TCM and Encore, I was wondering what happened to *Yellowstone Kelly. *Wonder no more, Encore's letting me wake up to it Monday morning and it's part of their Clint Walker Six Gun Salute on July 24th along with *Fort Dobbs, Gold of the Seven Saints,* and two of his later ones made out of country. He's also going to comment on his work. I wish they'd throw in some of his favorite *Cheyenne* episodes as I'd be curious as to his opinions on it.

I liked *Yellowstone Kelly *because it was more about the conflicts between two tribes with the white men in the middle than the usual us vs. them. Casting alert: John Russell and Ray Danton make believable N/A's but as they insisted on doing in the TV shows Warners cast Andra Martin, who had bluer eyes than then-husband Ty Hardin, as the N/A woman at the center of the feud. It didn't really work in b&w and in color is very noticeable. The mountain scenery is breathtaking so I guess there's a trade-off. You know what I'll be watching that day.

Thanks gals, for mentioning the "women of the west" thread - another thread I lost and would like to get back into.

*wouldbestar* - I'm so glad you got to see *Devil's Doorway*.... it's so difficult to watch, you are right......... I just keep hoping each time that some one will kill Louis Calhern at the beginning. :(

you know, for the first time as i watch *red river* despite having seen it a thousand times, i'm starting to really like joann dru's character, tess. jackie i have you to thank for that, since you are who i think of whenever i see joann. i really do enjoy her character now, and think she looks so pretty with all that rich, full hair (i'm so envious of beautiful hair right now). i liked the scene best not with clift but with wayne. i'm not sure but they make the more interesting couple. :)

Is that the negotiation scene you refer to? I always liked how she met Wayne straight up on that offer. No surprise, no disgust, no insulted sensibilities just a matter-of-fact approach to it. Through it they both gain a healthy respect for each other. That certainly adds to the depth of it all.

I'm going to have to watch *Red River* again now. I've only seen it once, I don't remember Dru, and I missed the ending. Some movie fan I am. :D

I do wish Dru had made some more films with our Pappy, or with anyone for that matter. She seems like she was just hitting her stride with *Wagon Master*. She has a lot of humor and warmth too, which I like.

judging by the title, it sounds like they were capitalizing on her appearance in the other *red river*. she's pretty good in *vengeance valley*, too, but it's not a big role. Hawks and Ford seem to have given her her best roles.

Perhaps she wasn't too career oriented - many of my favorites, Dru, Ruth Hussey, Laraine Day, didn't really have a lot of ambition or motivation to further their careers. They were just happy floating along in whatever roles they got, and spent more time on everyday life. Maybe that's what I actually like about them?

Yes, that's the one. I thought I had seen this movie but it turns out I never have. It was really good, though Bobby Driscoll is not one of my favorite kid actors. Still he did a good job. It's interesting how noirish the photography is, I mean it's an odd feeling when the protagonist is a child. :D

I may have seen part of it - I'll have to check it out! It sounds good.

I spent today watching some mighty fine pre-codes.

Did you get to see Sporting Blood with Clark Gable? I recorded it but didn't get to watch it. I also finally got a clean copy of Gentleman's Fate, which I realize I was supposed to send to someone. :0

I did watch some of the pre-codes and enjoyed them. I've seen *Sporting Blood* and like it. I like horse stories and Clark looks gorgeous. I also like Madge Evans.

I saw part of *A Gentleman's Fate* before I fell asleep! :D

*Glad to hear you got some rest. *

I really wanted John Gilbert to keep me up, though! I was in-and-out all afternoon.

* Madge was really good in The Mayor of Hell too.*

I fell asleep in patches during that one, too! I did see the one with Franchot and with Adolph Menjou.

Hey there.

I liked *The Window*. It's interesting just for having the film made from the viewpoint of a child. I guess it's really just a "boy who cried wolf" story over all though, but a good one.

BTW, I think you meant Ruth Roman, not Ruth Hussey, right? I thought she and Paul Stewart made a good shady pair. The film has some good suspense build up and interesting New York location footage. You can almost feel the heat!

Did anyone watch *Sky Full of Moon* ? That was an odd film. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a light hearted comedy or something darker. It turns out that it goes all over the place, you get a western angle, nice shots of old Vegas and some noirish elements thrown in too! It was odd but I actually liked the film. Jan Sterling was really good in this, a good part for her, and very beautifully photographed. I don't think anyone ever looked as green as Carleton Carpenter did here, yet except for some initial silliness, it's all underplayed and comes across nicely.

A really strange mix of a film.

Oh of course you're right...I always confuse the names of the "Ruths". I did see *Sky Full of Moon*, but I can't say I cared for a movie where Carleton Carpenter is the lead. It was interesting to see Jan Sterling play lighthearted, she's usually so serious and sad.

Oh I do that too. I do it with movie titles! Remember my Jack Carson tribute? I must have said he was in *Two for Texas* ten times. Instead of *Two Guys From Texas* !

I didn't mind Carpenter that much, of course he is in a lot of those fluffy films that I like anyway. I think he was perfect for the role here though. It's just that his viridity (that's my new word for today! :) viridity.) was a bit much to take in a lead role.

I really liked Sterling in this though. I agree it was nice to see her in a lighter role, though she managed to drive the film to some darker than expected places. I guess she just can't help herself. :)

*and your viridity is intact. :D*

Oh thank goodness!!!

*Is Four For Texas the sequel or did the first two have kids? :)*

Ha! Now I'm really confused! See I thought *Two for Texas* was *Four for Texas*. So there never was a film called *Two for Texas* ! I'll never get my head together on this!

*It's that face of hers....she has the worn, bitter looking face of a film noir femme. She always seems like it's a struggle for her to smile. This makes her automatically "deeper" to me in the sometimes lightweight roles. For instance, remember her in The Mating Season with Gene Tierney and John Lump I mean Lund? She plays Lumpy's ex-girlfriend and to me her whole presence in that movie lent a strangely dark and noirish slant that I kept expecting to go somewhere, lol.*

I do remember her in *The Mating Season* and your right. I understand what you mean about coming off "deeper" in lightweight roles. You just think things are going to happen with her around. Poor Lumpy! :)

Sterling's a dangerous gal. Seeing her in *Sky Full of Moon* was kind of unique. I thought she photographed "fresher" in it and not quite as sour, but I knew she was going to get Carpenter in some kind of trouble. The novelty of the two of them playing opposite each other just adds to the strange mix of that film.

*Ha! Now I'm really confused! See I thought Two for Texas was Four for Texas. So there never was a film called Two for Texas ! I'll never get my head together on this!*

I see, you just didn't know how quickly Texas reproduces. :D

* You just think things are going to happen with her around. Poor Lumpy! Sterling's a dangerous gal.*

If you haven't seen her in *Ace in the Hole* then you really will experience how far that face can go into the dark side. I also think she looks a little like Gwen Stefani, ha.

Lorraine {Jan Sterling} "Ace in the Hole"

"I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons"

Jan Sterling was a very under rated actress and should have gone farther. She blew the audiences away with her stage role of Billie Dawn in the Chicago production of "Born Yesterday" and almost got the lead in the film version, but lost to Judy Holliday. But she was one Hell of an actress. In "The High and the MIghty" William Wellman talked her into shaving her eyebrows for a scene and she said they never grew back, but she got an Academy Award nomination out of it...She delivered many fine performances, but "Ace in the Hole" is maybe her best.....

Jan Sterling is a wonderful actress and I rank her as one of my favorite "killer dames" in the LISTS thread, about two thirds down the page. CineMaven and I had a brief discussion about her there:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=157528

To me, she's like the antithesis of Shelley Winters - no whining, and you better believe she'd be the one to come out alive in a tussle with Montgomery Clift or Robert Mitchum. :)

I like that she was married to Paul Douglas - they both had good taste.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote}{quote}

>

> It's that face of hers....she has the worn, bitter looking face of a film noir femme. She always seems like it's a struggle for her to smile. This makes her automatically "deeper" to me in the sometimes lightweight roles. For instance, remember her in *The Mating Season* with Gene Tierney and John Lump I mean Lund? She plays Lumpy's ex-girlfriend and to me her whole presence in that movie lent a strangely dark and noirish slant that I kept expecting to go somewhere, lol.

I have that problem with Jan Sterling too. I expect her to be edgy all the time, even when she's playing a bland, innocuous character that any other actress could play in her sleep. Sterling never seems to stop thinking, even when she's playing walking cliches. When I saw Rhubarb (1951), a comedy about a cat who inherits a baseball team that she made just after Ace in the Hole, I kept expecting her to be more than arm candy for Ray Milland--but no, she was just a girl!

I think that I forget sometimes that an actress like Sterling made movies that we might regard as wonderful now, but in their day, films such as Ace in the Hole and Mystery Street, weren't necessarily likely to lead to more roles for her. She had to be commercial as well.

I take it you and John Lund will not be an item any time soon, Miss G.?

Fred, I'd like to see what Jan did with "Billie Dawn". I'm not that great a fan of Judy Holliday.

I haven't seen *Ace in the Hole* in a long time, but I remember still how apt I thought it was to today's media savagery. The whole Chilean mine episode brought it to mind, though happily it ended differently. Wilder's cynisim was really on full throttle. It played almost like a Sam Fuller film.