Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

In regard to that Marx Brothers photo, what in the world is the cleaning lady who is bent over supposed to be doing? I know what it looks like, but then I have a dirty mind, but what is she really supposed to be doing? What was the purpose of the photo? Not being a Marx fan, the photo makes no sense to me at all, except my normal reaction to the Marx family which is unprintable in mixed company, especially where Graucho is concerned.

Anne

The 3 Godfathers....oh..me...oh my...what an emotional week this has been for me...and that's just with all the movie talk going around. I decided to bring this ramble over here just to keep us in a Western locale...

I am so glad to have gotten to see this one again. It has long been a favorite of mine. And watching it again today after all the emotional discussion of our other 3 Friends over in the Movie Rambles thread...let's just say I am about played out. I may need to go watch the Grey Guy's disgusting favorite (Once Upon a Time...etc) just to get over all this emotion. But for now I will just revel in it a bit longer instead. It IS the Christmas season...(if not this time of year then when??)

April and Grey Guy...the 3 Wise Men theme is all over this one for sure. Even more blatantly than I recall ("The kid" even specifically mentions it) And there are so many other aspects of the Christmas story woven in here along w/ a lot of other Bible themes.

SPOILER-- I especially loved the way The Kid and Pedro make their peace w/ their Creator before they die...very heartwrenching. And was it just all this emotion....or what? This time, for the first time I almost wondered if William was almost "teaching" his young godson a bedtime prayer in the way he reverted back to his childhood prayer at the end..."And make me a good boy" etc...oh...too much ...I need to invest in Kleenex stock if we are going to keep talking about these sorts of films around here.

(PS...SCSU....another "Duke sing along" moment....who knew??? As he is wandering about and starts to lose his footing in the little rocky shelter there toward the end...he starts singing "Streets of Laredo" Glen Campbell's career...stilI safe). :-)

Thanks for putting up w/ my rambling folks. I am going to try and get the 36 version on tape as well. I mentioned over on the other thread...it is quite a bit different in places...but a lot of the same elements are there. I will enjoy the comparison and contrast...and maybe by then I will have time to get to the store and by a couple dozen extra boxes of Kleenex...Oh! I just remembered...tomorrow is Christmas eve...I better hurry. The stores will be closing early!! :-)

> {quote:title=mrsl wrote:}{quote}

> In regard to that Marx Brothers photo, what in the world is the cleaning lady who is bent over supposed to be doing? I know what it looks like, but then I have a dirty mind, but what is she really supposed to be doing? What was the purpose of the photo? Not being a Marx fan, the photo makes no sense to me at all, except my normal reaction to the Marx family which is unprintable in mixed company, especially where Graucho is concerned.

>

> Anne

Anne,

If you are referring to the cleaning lady on the bottom right, I think she's supposed to be making the beds. B-)

Hi Kathy---terrific little ramble on *Three Godfathers* --- I hope Jackie gets to see it

and can add her thoughts. I am also hoping I can record the 1936 version, since

I may not be home I will have to program it which will be a neat trick with all these

new wires I have to untangle.

I also want to post a couple of cute stories about the making of this movie from

Harry Carey, Jr's fabulous book, The John Ford Stock Company. He

had me rolling with his tales of Ford's tricks and Pedro Armendariz, too, on

this film. I actually wish Harry would keep writing because he has a wonderfully

easy style and his personality really comes through. I recommend it highly, it's

not very long and you can order it autographed from Harry directly through his

website---that's what I did. I've even exchanged a couple of emails with him in

the past, I hope he's doing well.

Hi Anne:

The stateroom scene from "A Night At The Opera" is nothing more than a gag. They've booked a cabin on an oceanliner with the idea that a couple of them will stow away. The problem is they got the smallest cabin. Since it is already crowded it only makes sense for many more to show up. Eventually the door is opened and they all spill out into the hallway.

It shows better then it reads.

(The purpose for it being posted was a little fun over my having reached 3000 posts, if that was more what you were asking. I wasn't sure.)

Hiya April...

I am also hoping I can record the 1936 version, since I may not be home I will have to program it which will be a neat trick with all these new wires I have to untangle.

Well good luck w/ that one, little missy. I imagine it would be a "technophobic" nightmare for someone like me....I am just hoping I can figure out how to program the vcr (I think I can, I think Ican) so I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to start recording...(we are an hour earlier on start time here) I am also wanting to get it figured out before tonight so I can record The Cheaters...I keep seeing folks talking that one up and we will be at church tonight when it is on, so I am going to try to get this thing figured out. (I also need to make a mad dash to the DOLLAR store--oh..I am so disgruntled over having to pay that extra penny ever since you told me you all have 99cent stores there!!!) :-) I only had one tape and I used it for T3GF yesterday... :-)

I will look forward to you posting the stories from Harry Carey Jr....I think that would have been a fun time working on that project...except...maybe for being in the desert...I am not a HEAT lover..I likely would have melted. That book sounds really nice...I think it is always fun to hear stories about stars that are so personable. I don't know too much about him, but from the way you make him sound, I bet he is a very nice guy.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hiya April...

>

Hellooo, Aunt Kathy! :)

>

>

> Well good luck w/ that one, little missy. I imagine it would be a "technophobic" nightmare for someone like me....I am just hoping I can figure out how to program the vcr (I think I can, I think Ican) so I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to start recording...(we are an hour earlier on start time here) I am also wanting to get it figured out before tonight so I can record The Cheaters...I keep seeing folks talking that one up and we will be at church tonight when it is on, so I am going to try to get this thing figured out. (I also need to make a mad dash to the DOLLAR store--oh..I am so disgruntled over having to pay that extra penny ever since you told me you all have 99cent stores there!!!) :-) I only had one tape and I used it for T3GF yesterday... :-)

>

Well, this should make you feel better: due to the "economy", our local 99 cent store

now charges $1.49.

> I will look forward to you posting the stories from Harry Carey Jr....I think that would have been a fun time working on that project...except...maybe for being in the desert...I am not a HEAT lover..I likely would have melted. That book sounds really nice...I think it is always fun to hear stories about stars that are so personable. I don't know too much about him, but from the way you make him sound, I bet he is a very nice guy.

It's a hilarious book. He has a very dry sense of humor.

Speaking of dry, with the past few days icy weather, you could oil me with olive

oil and set me out there in that desert to bake---anything but this!! :D

Well, this should make you feel better: due to the "economy", our local 99 cent store

now charges $1.49.

Ah....the tightfistedness in me feels better now...thanks. :-)

Speaking of dry, with the past few days icy weather, you could oil me with olive

oil and set me out there in that desert to bake---anything but this

Oh MY! That sounds like an episode of the Food Network gone awry!! I know what you mean though...along w/ the stock that I should take out in Kleenex....I should also give the Vasoline Intensive Care folks a closer look as well. :-) Tis the season!!

FYI, I recently read on one website (digitalbits.com) about a rumor that JW's *The Alamo*

in its "director's cut" may come to DVD next year. It said this version was previously only

on laserdisc so I'm not sure if I've ever seen it. In gradeschool in Texas, this movie was

regularly scheduled viewing during class. :D

April-

RE: 3 Godfathers :

I DID think it looked so much like the middle east or an Arab desert ..... (which is one of my favorite DREAM places though I would never want to live there in real life).... but I thought I was crazy for thinking that....That is why the imagery had such a strong appeal for me. I think if at least two of us noticed it, it must have been on purpose.... I got a big kick out of watching the Duke try to hustle his behind up a sand dune, he just is too big and brawny to look graceful climbing through a mountain of sand that is crumbling away under his weight.... :)

I noticed a TON of closeups in this one too, or at least as close up as Ford would go which is really more of a head and shoulders shot. It seemed unusual to me. I loved the way he kept focusing on Pedro Armendariz' face as he covered John Wayne when they first find the covered wagon in the storm. He just kept getting closer and closer, showing the intent way Pedro was looking. It really built suspense.... I also liked the way he would cut to Pedro every time there was a need for a conscience... having not seen the movie all the way through, I am curious if he was the conscience from the beginning, or if it was "thrust upon him" at this point in the movie....It seemed to me that he might have suddenly "seen the light".

Kathy I am going to tape the exact same stuff! I hope there is enough room on my dvdr.... I am very excited about Cluny Brown/The Cheaters too, since I have never even heard of The Cheaters before. Good luck getting those tapes!

HI Wendy...

I am curious if he was the conscience from the beginning, or if it was "thrust upon him" at this point in the movie....It seemed to me that he might have suddenly "seen the light".

This is only my take on it (for what it's worth)....and I don't want to give you too much in the way of a spoiler...but it seemed to me that Pedro and the young Kid both were "taught" to respect the Good Book and it's teachings and had more or less fallen away from their upbrining until this event brought them back around to seeing "the light"....and I think Bob's "seeing of the light" was a more sudden thing than the others as he had nearly zero respect for the book or it's teachings or its author....until....

But I agree w/ you that Pedro was a voice of conscience...and I don't recall him (or the kid either) ever once complaining about their sworn duty...Bob had the same determination as they did....he just wasn't as "quietly resolved" about it.

Hope you get your recordings made!! I am off for the last minute few little things...and of course...some vhs tapes and kleenex...(I wasn't kidding...my box is almost empty!!) If I don't talk to you sooner....Have a very MERRY one!!! :-)

FYI, I recently read on one website (digitalbits.com) about a rumor that JW's The Alamo

in its "director's cut" may come to DVD next year. It said this version was previously only

on laserdisc so I'm not sure if I've ever seen it. In gradeschool in Texas, this movie was

regularly scheduled viewing during class. :D

I'd posted this earlier in the DVD forum, but was too lazy to repeat it here. Let's just keep in mind that those rumours are nothing more than that, but the folks at digitalbits.com have a good track record when it comes to information that is as of yet unofficial... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! B-)

I hope there is enough room on my dvdr.... I am very excited about Cluny Brown/The Cheaters too, since I have never even heard of The Cheaters before. Good luck getting those tapes!

Pretty excited about those myself, heard a lot of good things about those movies! :D

In gradeschool in Texas, this movie was regularly scheduled viewing during class.

Hi April...it has been a very long time since I last saw The Alamo...I can't say that I was all that fond of it, but I may not have given it a fair shake....I think that whole historical story is just so...oh...depressing, I guess, and I am sure that colored my judgement on the film... I bet it if I were writing this in Texas folks would be out lookin' for a rope for me right now!! :-) But, maybe I will give it another try as I really cannot recall too many specific details about the film or storyline (other than the obvious ones)

> In gradeschool in Texas, this movie was regularly scheduled viewing during class.

>

> Hi April...it has been a very long time since I last saw The Alamo...I can't say that I was all that fond of it, but I may not have given it a fair shake....I think that whole historical story is just so...oh...depressing, I guess, and I am sure that colored my judgement on the film... I bet it if I were writing this in Texas folks would be out lookin' for a rope for me right now!! :-) But, maybe I will give it another try as I really cannot recall too many specific details about the film or storyline (other than the obvious ones)

I'm curious how I'll like it now. I remember enjoying it in school, but then I was always

happy to watch a movie instead of do class work!

By the way---they are apparently playing Duke's movies all day tomorrow on

Always More Commercials (AMC), just in case.

Have a lovely evening!

Did you ever rub your newborn with axel grease, lol?

I wonder what Ford used in the movie as a substitute.

It was interesting to watch Perley's shifting emotions when we first see "the boys" pull up to his house; initially his face is open and inviting, then he grows subtlely but increasingly suspicious and even hostile, as when he's "greeting" Pedro with barely disguised passive aggressive bigotry, "Que pasa?" Ward is excellent in this scene, and Mae Marsh is just so sweet, I wanted to reach out and hug her.

And I've never seen Jane Darwell frisky before! It was wonderful, "All these men -- what a Christmas present!"

Did you ever rub your newborn with axel grease, lol

Not that I can recall! My daughter saw that part yesterday and about came unglued..."MOM! They are putting jelly all over that naked baby's bottom!!!" She was almost beside herself. :-)

> Not that I can recall! My daughter saw that part yesterday and about came unglued..."MOM! They are putting jelly all over that naked baby's bottom!!!" She was almost beside herself. :-)

That is too funny! I can't imagine watching *3 Godfathers* with small kids.

I'm really excited for the showing of the 1936 version, it's given me something else to look forward to on Christmas Day (besides all the presents, of course!!).

MERRY CHRISTMAS, FELLOW RAMBLERS! B-)

Beautiful picture, Jackie. I really enjoyed Olive's performance and wouldn't

mind seeing more of her stuff.

In a fit of Santschi-Girl mania, I ordered these four movies featuring our Tom:

Hills of Kentucky (1927)

The Cradle of Courage (1920)

Little Orphant Annie (1918)

Ten Nights in a Bar-Room (1931)

I may try to watch them today.