Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles


Recommended Posts

Where did you get them from? I've been looking on the net. I've found a lot of titles, but no actual dvd's..... I found a marvelous website with stills from a lot of silents, called Silent Film Still Archive. I was tantalizingly close to a Tom Santschi still, but when I got to the picture from the movie, he wasn't in it. His name was credited at the bottom, but he was not there!

 

Frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FF- I know, isn't Olive a doll?

 

Apparently everyone else on the set of 3 Bad Men thought so, except Priscilla Bonner, who played Millie. I read that Priscilla had been told by Ford that the movie was hers for the taking, that her character would be so sympathetic that she would become a huge star. Then Olive came along and all the guys were gaga over her, and Ford kept giving her more and more screen time. Priscilla would be doing her best acting, and all the guys would be like: "Oh, look! Olive's taking a bath in a barrel" and they would all rush off to see what Ms. Borden was doing.... :)

 

The truth is, I find Olive irresistible too. But I do feel sorry for Millie/Priscilla......

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a fit of Santschi-Girl mania, I ordered these four movies featuring our Tom:

 

Hills of Kentucky (1927)

The Cradle of Courage (1920)

Little Orphant Annie (1918)

Ten Nights in a Bar-Room (1931)

 

I may try to watch them today.

 

April...wow!!! YOU WILL do some more rambling for us won't you??) (I enjoyed your caps over in the movie ramble thread as well) .... :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

April...wow!!! YOU WILL do some more rambling for us won't you??) (I enjoyed your caps over in the movie ramble thread as well)

 

Hi Kathy--I'll talk more about the movies themselves after I've seen them all.

 

Now to CONGRATULATE you for getting the *Jimmy Stewart Westerns Collection* --- yaaay!!

Would now be as good a time as any to start rambling about The Man from Laramie?

That's one of my top three favorite Anthony Mann westerns. Unfortunately, I don't have the

dvd of any of Jimmy's westerns yet, but soon! However, MrGrimes does and maybe

we can persuade him upon his return to join the discussion.

 

Jackie---I hope you have seen it or can access it? Chris, I don't need to ask I'm sure---you've

seen EVERY western ever made just about! And, of course, anyone else who'd like to join in.

 

I may just scout around and see if I can find the set for myself on sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I just looked it up on Amazon (I think) and it was .... $25.71? Seemed like a good deal....but might be cheaper somewhere else.

 

That is the lowest price I've seen, even after I add the tax. Thanks, J! I also want to see

if they have The Man From Laramie and Thunder Bay (wish all these by Mann were

together in one set).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Miss Goddess:

 

I looked for a set of Jimmy Stewart/Mann westerns too but only came up with the set from _Movies Unlimited._ When I clicked on his name on Amazon, it sent me to MU so I quit there. The Western set they have is on sale right now for $31.99 which is of course cheaper than the one mentioned earlier, but the condition may be better. *Thunder Bay* is on his 'Legend" collection, with two other movies for $21.59, but I couldn't find even a single copy for *The Man from Laramie*.

 

I'll keep watching for a discussion on Jimmy, you know me, I'm ready to talk about him anytime. but my favorite western of his will always be *Two Rode Together.*

 

Anne

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> FF- I know, isn't Olive a doll?

>

> Apparently everyone else on the set of 3 Bad Men thought so, except Priscilla Bonner, who played Millie. I read that Priscilla had been told by Ford that the movie was hers for the taking, that her character would be so sympathetic that she would become a huge star. Then Olive came along and all the guys were gaga over her, and Ford kept giving her more and more screen time. Priscilla would be doing her best acting, and all the guys would be like: "Oh, look! Olive's taking a bath in a barrel" and they would all rush off to see what Ms. Borden was doing.... :)

>

> The truth is, I find Olive irresistible too. But I do feel sorry for Millie/Priscilla......

 

It's sad that they didn't all get along on the set, they were all quite talented, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=mrsl wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Miss Goddess:

>

> I looked for a set of Jimmy Stewart/Mann westerns too but only came up with the set from _Movies Unlimited._ When I clicked on his name on Amazon, it sent me to MU so I quit there. The Western set they have is on sale right now for $31.99 which is of course cheaper than the one mentioned earlier, but the condition may be better. *Thunder Bay* is on his 'Legend" collection, with two other movies for $21.59, but I couldn't find even a single copy for *The Man from Laramie*.

>

 

Hi Anne!

 

I will probably end up waiting for a sale at Deepdiscount.com. That's where I get most

commercially released DVDs because they don't charge tax or shipping.

 

 

 

> I'll keep watching for a discussion on Jimmy, you know me, I'm ready to talk about him anytime. but my favorite western of his will always be *Two Rode Together.*

>

> Anne

 

I'm hoping to watch 2RT this weekend---it's been quite a while! Hopefully, we'll get a

good chat started on Jimmy's oaters started soon. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I'm ready for "The Man From Laramie" anytime. Any of the Stewart westerns are good. "Naked Spur", "Bend Of The River" whichever makes anyone happy.

 

My personal favourite's always been *Winchester 73*, but they're all great Westerns. B-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would now be as good a time as any to start rambling about The Man from Laramie?

 

Hi there April....I think this would be as good a time as any (given everybody's response so far)

 

I personally enjoyed getting to see this one a couple of weeks ago during one of my "library film watching extravaganzas" I think it was a very nice example of a Stewart Western. I can't really say it is my absolute favorite for him, but there were certain parts of it that I liked a lot. It was a nice mix of Western, with a little romance....even some "mystery" thrown in for good measure...I really like the older couple rivalry/ lost love angle . Not to mention this film is yet another fine example of "strained" family relationships gone awry. (Is it just me or is that a somewhat common theme in a lot of western movies?)

 

All in all a really nice tale...I am sure I have more comments to make...but would like to hear from some of you folks...MR GREY...you have always said this is one of your FAVES....tell me more...and Movieman...April....everyone else...start ramblin!! (Anybody got any screencaps or pictures they want to post??)

 

PS...one thing I will add is that originally (way back before we got into the 3Bad Men rambles, I had intended to do a "compare and contrast" ramble of Laramie w/ Two Rode Together....I saw both of these within about a week of each other...they are VERY different...and yet in a lot of ways they remind me a bit of each other....But I wasn't smart enought to get anything written down and got distracted and now I don't know that my thoughts would be as clear as they would have been back then. But everyone else feel free to add any comments you'd like about either film or both of them.... as I think it would be fun....the more the merrier. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> ...I really like the older couple rivalry/ lost love angle . Not to mention this film is yet another fine example of "strained" family relationships gone awry. (Is it just me or is that a somewhat common theme in a lot of western movies?)

>

 

Hi Kathy!

 

The main reason I like *The Man from Laramie* is the addition of the backstory between

Donald Crisp and Aline MacMahon. Crisp is a man who is "blind" where his son is

concerned, yet he has been plagued by a dream (vision) of a stranger who was to

come and do him harm. It isn't until he he is literally struck blind that he begins to

"see" the truth.

 

FrankGrimes took these caps in a discussion on the movie quite a while back

and I saved them, they're from my favorite scene:

 

manfromlaramie1.jpg

 

manfromlaramie2.jpg

 

manfromlaramie3.jpg

 

manfromlaramie4.jpg

 

 

>

> PS...one thing I will add is that originally (way back before we got into the 3Bad Men rambles, I had intended to do a "compare and contrast" ramble of Laramie w/ Two Rode Together....I saw both of these within about a week of each other...they are VERY different...and yet in a lot of ways they remind me a bit of each other....But I wasn't smart enought to get anything written down and got distracted and now I don't know that my thoughts would be as clear as they would have been back then. But everyone else feel free to add any comments you'd like about either film or both of them.... as I think it would be fun....the more the merrier. :-)

 

I'm planning to watch *Two Rode Together* between now and Sunday night so I'll definitely

pay attention for any similarities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> PS...one thing I will add is that originally (way back before we got into the 3Bad Men rambles, I had intended to do a "compare and contrast" ramble of Laramie w/ Two Rode Together....I saw both of these within about a week of each other...they are VERY different...and yet in a lot of ways they remind me a bit of each other....

 

Interesting point, Kathy. I think it would make a great subject for the western rambles. B-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crisp is a man who is "blind" where his son is concerned, yet he has been plagued by a dream (vision) of a stranger who was to come and do him harm. It isn't until he he is literally struck blind that he begins to "see" the truth.

 

April...you are right on target about the father/son thing. (though I gotta confess...the whole "dream thing" sort of made me roll my eyes a little) I loved those screencaps (nice save) It is a very telling moment the way she answers him back...I like the way the turn of events played out between them.

 

PS...on the TRT similarities...it is really more about a "feeling" that I had while watching rather than specific storyline similarities...I don't know how to explain it..but way back when I thought of it, it sort of made sense...now I am just hopingI am not too out of whack ..(at least about THAT anyway) :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

PS...on the TRT similarities...it is really more about a "feeling" that I had while watching rather than specific storyline similarities...I don't know how to explain it..but way back when I thought of it, it sort of made sense...now I am just hopingI am not too out of whack ..(at least about THAT anyway) :-)

 

I have a similar feeling sometimes when watching certain movies... it isn't always easy to put into words, but if you put some thought into it, sometimes you can find the way to articulate it. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

One film that does resemble "The Man From Laramie" in part of its story line is "Last Train From Gun Hill." They both deal with fathers who are aggravated with sons who are not what they were expected to be. They are weak, selfish and entitled. None of that makes Dad happy.

 

In "The Man From Laramie" the most complex relationship runs with Stewart and Kennedy. I think they earn a respect for each other after the fight. At times they get along and at times they argue. They are both loyal to Crisp but in different ways. Crisp then has to deal with his affection for both. Someone is not going to he happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they earn a respect for each other after the fight. At times they get along and at times they argue

 

I agree there is a mutual respect...I even wondered at one point if it would have been possible for them to be friends on some level...but I think there were too many issues to really consider it a possibility. And on top of that, he (Kennedy) just had too many personal weaknesses of character in the long run that I am sure Stewart's character would likely have not been willing to put up with.

 

One character I really liked was "Charley" and he "stuck with" Stewart even though he really didn't have to. He struck me as the kind of guy who would be good to know in that sort of situation. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching it as I type I'm reminded of how loyalty goes whichever way the wind blows. Crisp threatens Kennedy with firing him (or worse) if it will help his son but offers to reward him for his continued babysitting. "Dave" is such a wus that babysitting is all it can be called.

 

Despite all the trouble Crisp is anxious to have Stewart work for him. Again, respect for standing up for himself. Indeed Stewart becomes a third son of sorts later in the picture.

 

More later...

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I just looked it up on Amazon (I think) and it was .... $25.71? Seemed like a good deal....but might be cheaper somewhere else.

 

Jackie,

It appears that amazon's price has dropped since you posted. The James Stewart Westerns collection is now $17.99. B-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> One character I really liked was "Charley" and he "stuck with" Stewart even though he really didn't have to. He struck me as the kind of guy who would be good to know in that sort of situation. :-)

 

Mann often put either a buddy with his hero or at least a helpful fellow traveller in his films,

I noticed. However, generally the only person to have the same degree of courage and

loyalty to his own code was the villain. Mann's villains tend to be complex, though

we're seldom given any background as to why they became so.

 

The one thing that drags The Man From Laramie down from being topnotch, to me,

is the rather weakly developed "love story" between Jimmy and Cathy O'Donnell. I

was confused by her engagement to the other guy, and how they hardly had any scenes

together to explain why she'd have married him in the first place. I feel like some stuff

may have been cut out. Maybe they should have just eliminated her character altogether.

I generall have to have some love story in my movies but I get frustrated when they are

poorly or thinly realized. The real love story for my money is the one between Crisp

and Aline MacMahon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...