Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

Chris,

I had the opportunity years ago to see the original cut of *Heaven's Gate". That version of the film had been released and critics panned it so voraciously that the studio pulled the print from release within a matter of a days. For years the story was that UA had pulled the film but now there are stories out there that Cimino asked them to so he could recut it. It's been so long I've forgotten some of those details.

The film was recut and re-released. I saw that version first. It wasn't bad but the story line was some what hard to follow and jumbled. The dialog tracks were almost incomprehensible though due to the mix that Cimino personally over saw.

The next night I had the opportunity to see the original version (which ran a little over 3 hours) and while it is not a great film it was better than the re-cut. The music, the cinematography and some of the acting was quite good. The skating scene in the roller rink with Jeff Bridges and Isabelle Huppert still stays with me. The dialog tracks were almost incomprehensible in some scenes.

The movie was re-cut again into a 90 minute fiasco that I think was called *Johnson County War* and I would imagine it is pretty incomprehensible.

The only version that makes the most sense is the original 3 hour version.

Cimino had an ego about the size of the wide frontier and he used that ego and the power he had coming off the Oscar winning *Deer Hunter* to browbeat others in order to get his way. UA had the reputation of being a studio that let filmmakers be filmmakers.

Cimino took advantage of that relationship to the ruin of UA and his own career.

Thanks Lynn. I had wondered whether even from a historical standpoint (knowing what it did to UA) if it was worth a look.

Chris,

Despite its problems, I think *Heaven's Gate*, the original long version is worth watching. Once at least.

Wish I had the score on CD. I have it on vinyl and somewhere in my collection of life I have the unused ticket stubs for opening night at the old Plitt Theaters in Century City (I think) where I would have seen the original cut had it not been pulled right after the NYC critics weighed in.

I can't remember the exact details if the movie opened in NYC first and was set to open in Los Angeles that Friday or if the NYC critics got a sneak preview.

The NYTimes review was just scathing and compared to watching paint dry. I didn't find it all that horrible (the original version at least).

Either way, the film was pulled so fast it made it your head spin as I recall.

Hello my Western friends....I have a question for you to ponder...and first I feel I need to lay a bit of groundwork...in order for you to understand my line of thinking.

I recently mentioned to my husband that I finally had an idea for a gift for him to get me for an upcoming occassion...and he was so happy.( He's pretty easy to please) He's been asking me for a while what I would like...and up till now-- all I could think of was a new toaster. Still not a bad idea. (we like toast). :-) But he always rolls his eyes whenever I tell him that--so I finally had something a little more original to tell him, and his ears perked right up.

I would like to expand our "western" movie collection a bit beyond the few homemade VHS tapes we have and a few odd and end DVD's including the $5 John Wayne DVD set I bought recently. (Not that there is anything wrong with a bargain... I have been accused of being--shall I say...tight" when it comes to spending money--which is not true--I spend money all the time...on the light bill, the gas billl, the mortgage...etc) :-)

But I should confess that when it comes to things like...technology or dvd's etc...I tend to get a little tightfisted with the old purse strings. And also--as most of you have already heard...I am a bit of a technophobe and so I know nothing about such things as shopping online etc. And believe it or not...my husband is even worse than I am (He absolutely avoids the computer at almost all costs) .

So with the understanding that most anything that my husband would buy for me would be purchased LIVE in PERSON..the old fashioned way...you know...at a store---If I were to make a list for him of classic western DVD's (keeping in mind my own "tightfisted-ness where money is concerned) to purchase for me as a gift...knowing my preference for the Duke....several favorite Ford films...etc, etc...Do any of you have any recommendations??? What sets do you think would give me the most "bang" for my buck?

I looked online and saw one called "The John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection" (The Searchers Ultimate Edition / Stagecoach Two-Disc Special Edition / Fort Apache / She Wore a Yellow Ribbon / The Long Voyage Home / They Were Expendable / 3 Godfathers / The Wings of Eagles) (2006). I am assuming it could be ordered through a video store (we have several near us) But I did not know if there were any other collections out there that might round out my list of movies a little more completely. Most of these titles are among the films that I would someday like to own...but there are still plenty others as well that I would like to get and if I could find a collection for not too much more that has a few more titles....that would be more to my liking. Another possibity is to try to just concentrate on either Ford or Wayne...not link the two--and maybe get more films in one collection that way as well. Any suggestions?

I know I would also enjoy the new How the West Was Won DVD that everyone is talking about...but would rather start with one or two good "collection sets" if possible since I want to try and get as many of my faves as I can all at once. (Maybe Santa will add HTWWW to his list for me...if I can get my act together between now and Christmas...not so sure I am too good about staying on his "nice" list like I ought to.) :-)

I value your opinions because I know most of you know WAY more about this sort of thing than I do. We all have our own area of expertise...but most of you probably don't need to know too much about the few things I may or may not know. ( I'm pretty boring most of the time) So I bow to your greater knowledge of such things and appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

And even though I list these things out for my sweet husband....depending on his work schedule or what else might be going on, there is still every chance that a new toaster will be in my future instead. So don't think poorly of him should that happen, because it would still be perfectly fine with me ( I too am easy to please) :-) So if that happens--you are all invited over for toast!!

Thanks folks, for your advice! :-)

Ro,

Your local Costco may have a box set of John Wayne Westerns. I was in ours today (in nearby Van Nuys) and they had a couple of different Wayne collections available though not the Ford/Wayne collection. That collection (the Ford/Wayne) includes a very good documentary on Ford, by the way.

Hope that helps!

Thanks..I appreciate the advice! There are at least a couple of Costco's out here...but we don't have a card. However, I have been told by friends that it is a good place to bargain shop...so maybe if I get a card that will push my husband in the right direction. (Hmmm..they probably sell toasters there too!) :-)

Hi, Quiet Gal -- Tight-fisted? I don't think so. You have your priorities in order.

Having said that, it's okay to treat yourself once in a while.

The John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection is the best Wayne box set

for me. You get The Searchers (2-disc), Stagecoach (2-disc), Fort

Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, 3 Godfathers, They Were

Expendable, The Long Voyage Home, and The Wings of Eagles.

This is a box set that has a decent chance of being in your area.

Amazon (online) - $57.99

Best Buy - $57.99

Deep Discount (online) - $58.99 (There is a sale going on at Deep Discount that

runs through 9/28. If you buy this box set, you can get another box set or title for

the same price or less for free. There is another John Wayne box set in this sale,

a John Ford box set, and the Gary Cooper box set with the 2-disc special edition

of Sergeant York and two westerns, Springfield Rifle and Dallas,

are in this sale. It's one of the best DVD box set sales I've run across.)

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Warner-Buy-1-Get-1-Free_stcVVcatId479932VVviewcat.htm?&promoCode=B1G1WARNR0808

This is what the DVD looks like and some write-ups on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-John-Collection-Stagecoach-Expendable-Godfathers/dp/B000F0UUI2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221110802&sr=1-4

The next box set I'd consider would be the John Wayne Century Collection.

This set is hard to track down in stores, though. It's also pricey $74.99 at Amazon

and $79.99 at Best Buy. But you are getting 14 films and the extras are good on

some of the films. Fellow TCM board member, CalvinNMe, supplied the list of

extras at Amazon:

Big Jake - NO EXTRAS

Donovan's Reef - NO EXTRAS

Hatari! - NO EXTRAS

In Harm's Way - Three theatrical trailers; "The Making of in Harm's Way"

Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - NO EXTRAS

McLintock!

Introduction by Leonard Maltin; commentary by Maureen O'Hara, Stefanie

Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne, director Andrew McLaglen, Maltin

and Western historian Frank Thompson; Interview - Maureen O'Hara and

Stefanie Powers Remember; Featurette "The Batjac Story, Part 2 - The

Legacy of Michael Wayne"; Featurette "A Good Ole' Fashioned Fight";

Featurette "The Corset: Don't Leave Home Without It"; Original Theatrical

Trailer; Batjac Teaser; Rare Archival Photo Gallery

Rio Lobo - NO EXTRAS

Shootist

Theatrical trailer; Exclusive cast & crew interviews

The Sons of Katie Elder - NO EXTRAS

True Grit

Commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook; True

Writing; Working With the Duke; Aspen Gold: Locations of True Grit; The Law

and the Lawless; Theatrical trailer

The High and the Mighty (2 Disc Edition)

Closed Caption; Introductions by Leonard Maltin; Commentary by Leonard Maltin,

William Wellman Jr., Karen Sharpe, Pedro Gonzales-Gonzales, and Vincent Longo;

"The Batjac Story"; "Stories From the Set"; "On Director William A. Wellman";

"The Music and World of Dimitri Tiomkin"; "Restoring a Classic"; "A Place in

Film History"; "Ernest K. Gann -- Adventurer, Author & Artist"; "Flying in the

Fifties"; Theatrical trailer, TV trailer, Batjac montage; The High and the Mighty

premiere footage; Photo gallery

Hondo

Introduction by Leonard Maltin; commentary by Maltin, Western historian Frank

Thompson and Lee Aaker; Featurette "The Making of Hondo"; Featurette "The

Apache"; Featurette "The John Wayne Stock Company - Ward Bond"; "Profile:

James Edward Grant"; from the Batjac Vaults; original theatrical trailer; Batjac

teaser; rare archival photo gallery

Island in the Sky

Closed Caption; Introduction by Leonard Maltin; Commentary by Leonard Maltin,

William Wellman Jr., Darryl Hickman, James Lydon, and Vincent Longo;

"Dooley's Down: The Making of Island in the Sky"; "Ernest K. Gann -- Adventurer,

Author & Artist"; "Flight School -- The Art of Aerial Cinematography"; "The John

Wayne Stock Company: Harry Carey, Jr."; "Flying for Uncle Sam"; Theatrical

trailer; Newsreel footage of premiere; Introduction to Gunsmoke TV promo;

Batjac montage; Photo gallery

El Dorado - NO EXTRAS

I have seen this box set go for $49.99 at Amazon in a past sale. That's a heckuva deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Collection-Donovans-Dorado-McLintock/dp/B000O179G8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221110802&sr=1-9

Amazon (online) - $74.99

Best Buy - $79.99

Deep Discount (online) - $66.40

There is also a similar box set that includes all of those films with the exception

of Donovan's Reef, Hatari!, The High and the Mighty, Island

in the Sky, and In Harm's Way. That box set is called: The John

Wayne Western Collection.

Amazon (online) - $52.99

Best Buy - $64.99

Deep Discount (online) - $46.75

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Collection-Liberty-McLintock-Shootist/dp/B000O179GS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221110802&sr=1-2

John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns) has Rio Grande,

A Lady Takes a Chance, The Fighting Kentuckian, and Dakota.

I haven't seen this box in my area.

Amazon (online) - $21.99

Best Buy - $19.99

Deep Discount (online) - $20.60

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Grande-Chance-Fighting-Kentuckian/dp/B000NIVJI6/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221111161&sr=1-56

John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action) has The Quiet Man,

The Sands of Iwo Jima, Flying Tigers, and The Wake of the Red

Witch. The Republic films have not been restored, so the quality is less than

the above boxes. This is another box I haven't seen in my area.

Amazon (online) - $21.99

Best Buy - $19.99

Deep Discount (online) - $20.74

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Collection-Quiet-Flying-Tigers/dp/B000NIVJHW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221110938&sr=1-15

John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection has Rooster Cogburn,

The Hellfighters, The Spoilers, The War Wagon, and Reap

the Wild Wind. This is a box set you may be able to track down locally.

Amazon (online) - $19.99

Best Buy - $24.99

Deep Discount (online) - $20.46

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Collection-Hellfighters-Spoilers/dp/B000NNUWZC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221110938&sr=1-20

John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection has The Big Trail,

North to Alaska, The Undefeated, and The Comancheros. This

is a newer release and there's a decent chance it could be in your local stores.

The Big Trail DVD has some nice extras.

Amazon (online) - $15.99

Best Buy - $24.99

Deep Discount (online) - $21.74

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Collection-Comancheros-Undefeated/dp/B0015TJBXW/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221111007&sr=1-33

John Wayne - An American Icon Collection has The Shepherd of

the Hills, Seven Sinners, Pittsburgh, Jet Pilot, and The

Conqueror. This is another box set that may be in a store near you.

Amazon (online) - $23.99

Best Buy - $22.99

Deep Discount (online) - $20.46

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Collection-Pittsburgh-Conqueror/dp/B000EQHXMI/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221111043&sr=1-39

The John Wayne Film Collection has Reunion in France,

Tycoon, Allegheny Uprising, Without Reservations, Big

Jim McLain, and Trouble Along the Way. This is a Wayne box that

is usually carried by stores.

Amazon (online) - $31.49

Best Buy - $29.99 (on sale)

Deep Discount (online) - $38.38

http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Without-Reservations-Allegheny-Uprising/dp/B000O599XA/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221111161&sr=1-50

John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection has Tall in the Saddle,

The Sea Chase, McQ, Blood Alley, and The Train Robbers.

Amazon (online) - $41.99

Best Buy - $44.99

Deep Discount (online) - $34.50 (This is the other Wayne box in the box set sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Heroes-Collection-Saddle-Robbers/dp/B0007P0XDC/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221111043&sr=1-47

Other than the Duke, there is the James Stewart - The Western Collection

that has Winchester '73, The Far Country, Bend of the River, Destry

Rides Again, Night Passage, and The Rare Breed.

Amazon (online) - $29.99

Best Buy - $29.99

Deep Discount (online) - $28.89

http://www.amazon.com/James-Stewart-Western-Collection-Winchester/dp/B00157OICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221112700&sr=1-1

The Gary Cooper MGM Movie Legends Collection has Vera Cruz,

The Cowboy and the Lady, The Real Glory, and the silent film, The

Winning of Barbara Worth.

Amazon (online) - $20.99

Best Buy - $34.99

Deep Discount (online) - $29.68

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Legends-Collection-Winning-Barbara/dp/B000Q6774A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221112863&sr=1-8

Fox Western Classics is a very affordable collection of three

westerns: Garden of Evil (with Gary Cooper), The Gunfighter,

and Rawhide.

Amazon (online) - $10.49

Best Buy - $14.99

Deep Discount (online) - $13.87

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Classics-Rawhide-Gunfighter-Garden/dp/B0014BQR1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221113002&sr=1-1

If you ever wanted to find out what DVDs are available for those who made the

movies, just click on the "DVD" icon in the right hand corner of the screen on

a person's bio at IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/JohnWayne+imdb&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

This is what the DVD page looks like:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/forsale#dvd

So are you going to tell us when your birthday is or are you going to be a Quiet Gal?

Howdy, Kathy! I think the DVDs -as-gift idea is a wonderful way of building up your collection!

You'll never really be stuck for an idea when people ask you "what would like for a present?" :)

Frank gave you the rundown on the best of the Duke sets, a couple of which I have myself.

I have the John Wayne/John Ford set (of course! :) ) and it's excellent, I recommend it the most

of all of them but its availability in stores may be limited, however maybe they can order it. I

also recommend the set that has *Hondo* in it---I don't have the set but I have several of the titles

I bought individually and Hondo is one of the best deals of his films because of the tons of really

cool extras and commentary. The picture is spectacular, too. This movie is definitely in my

top 5 favorite Wayne westerns. He's prime.

I would also think you'd enjoy mixing in some Jimmy and, ahem, COOP into your bag of goodies

if possible. The Fox Western Classics set that just came out with Garden of Evil, The Gunfighter

and Rawhide is a good deal---not a dud in the bunch and its bound to be in stores.

I was looking around in some stores in Manhattan a while back (Best Buy, Circuit City, Barnes

and Noble Booksellers) and was really surprised how many John Wayne movies they offered,

and not only that but some of them had a whole section with fancy display art just for the Duke.

I wouldn't have thought of Manhattan as Duke country but I mention it because I think it bodes

well for your hubbie being able to find plenty of his westerns to choose from in stores. I mean,

if he's well stocked here in the Wickid City I'm sure in other states there's tons more. ;)

I can't wait to hear what you get!

Kathy:

Sir Francis has given you a very good list of box sets. Most of those titles are also available individually for $10 or little as $7.50 (at least they were earlier this week.)

If you like Randolph Scott there is a box set coming in Nov of films he did with Budd Boetticher. Lots of folks are looking forward to this one too.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I have the John Wayne/John Ford set (of course! :) ) and it's excellent, I recommend it the most

> of all of them but its availability in stores may be limited, however maybe they can order it. I

> also recommend the set that has *Hondo* in it---I don't have the set but I have several of the titles

> I bought individually and Hondo is one of the best deals of his films because of the tons of really

> cool extras and commentary. The picture is spectacular, too. This movie is definitely in my

> top 5 favorite Wayne westerns. He's prime.

>

I watched the *Hondo* DVD very recently and highly recommend it! Aside from perhaps Robert Osborne, there's no one I'd rather see introduce a classic movie than Leonard Maltin, and he's nice as usual. The documentary is also very good and has interviews with most of the surviving cast (or those who were alive at the time).

Wow! Everybody!! You gave me some great ideas...I knew I could rely on all your expertise! But I have to say that I don't usually think of getting ideas for gifts for myself--so I kinda feel a little awkward here...but at any rate...I can't believe all the resources.

I never even thought of places like Best Buy or Circuit City. (We technophobes tend to shy away from such places--I think the last thing I bought at Best Buy was an alarm clock a couple of years ago...and even that was so sophisticated we had to take it back and buy something else! NO--I am not kidding) :-) But I hadn' t considered Barnes and Noble either. We are such Walmart junkies. But with these...and Ms Cutter's Costco suggestion...maybe it is time for both my husband and me to expand our horizons.

April--The Duke in New York...that doesn't surprise me as much as it should...because I think he's pretty popular everywhere. But I have to confess it does seem a bit more unexpected compared to KC--you know....BBQ, rodeo...westerns. Just goes to show how universal a good western can be.

Chris...getting singles is probably more in my budget most of the time....that is mostly what we've bought over the years whenever we do break down a buy a movie.( In fact I just bought Rio Bravo a couple of weeks ago...I am so happy! ) And all this talk made me remember that I also have Donovan's Reef--I just haven't watched it in a while. I saw the Cowboys and one other one--though I can't remember what it was at Walmart the other day--but didn't give in to the urge to buy since I knew I was going to be asking for some sort of set and wanted to see what I could find out first .But I may give him a list of individual titles to look for as well as some sets just to see what he can find. Again...I just feel so weird being so specific about a gift I want somebody else to buy for me--even from my husband. That is just not something I usually do . ( But I think I can live with it.) :-)

(April and FF--I don't think I have ever seen HONDO---maybe should add that to my "wanna see list"????)

And I do think I wouldn't mind have some Stewart's and COOP at some point....I'm an equal opportunity western fan....though I have to confess I don't know enough about Randolph Scott yet....what are some good titles to look for w/ him???

Frank--WATTA LIST!! Thanks so much... I need to come back in here and check out all the links you posted when I have more time. And what makes you think this is about my B-day????

(doesn't everybody celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day??) :-)

I'll let you know how things go....and don't forget folks...that Toast option is still open.(and would also make me very happy as I have not had a toaster since my old one bit the dust way back in the Spring-) ..so let me know if you prefer light or dark.... (no Frank--they don't have a 'grey setting" on a toaster) and if you like butter only....or butter and jelly/jam/preserves. :-)

Thanks again everybody.

*Hondo* should definitely be on your "Must See" list, Kathy---it's one of his most romantic westerns.

Hondo-color.jpg

You know...looking at the picture you posted...I remember now...maybe a couple of years ago...i started to watch this movie--and if memory also serves....I think I fell asleep. (I don't even think I saw half of it before I dropped off.) that's no commentary on the quality of the movie... more likely a commentary on how worn out and fogie-ish I have become of late. Whatever happened to me...I know I did not get to see more than the first part of it. I just remember the way he was dressed and the dog. Isn't this where he pretends to be the husband of some woman (because of Indians??) and her real husband was a jerk or something....and is dead??

I always knew there was a Wayne western w/ that name... but when I saw the one I am talking about I might have even missed the very beginning of it and didn't even know what it was called. I'm just not sure I am remembering correctly. Things like this get a little fuzzy for me once they've had more than a day or two to roll around among all the rocks in my brain. :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Hmm....after i posted this--I went into the data base and looked up this movie...and I must have seen more of it than I recall..because I do remember the part about them finding the little boy's picture now...but there was a lot that I still don't remember about the move because unitl I read all that--I didn't even remember the little boy. It was probably one of those times when I was too stupid tired to stay awake or remember what I was even watching and I should have not even tried to watch anything but the inside of my own eyelids. (Because you'd think I could have figured out that "HONDO" was the name of the movie...since it was the name of John Wayne's character.--So that ought to tell you something too)

I wonder now if tried to watch this when I was home on medical leave of absence a few years ago....I had a major surgery back then...and was of course ON DRUGS for a couple of weeks after that--I will use that one as my excuse anyway.

Now I know I need to see this film--if for no other reason than to figure out how in the world I could have forgotten all these details. (More than likely it was not because of any surgeries or anything...probably just due to the rocks in my head....there is only so much room in there for info to be stored indefinitely before it starts leaking back out again!) HA! :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

We are such Walmart junkies.

Actually, this may be the place to get the Wayne boxes you want. Even though all of

the box sets are said to be "not in the store," they can be shipped to your store, free

of cost.

John Wayne- John Ford Film Collection - $59.86

John Wayne Western Collection - $52.86

John Wayne Century Collection - $74.86

John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns) - $21.86

John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action) - $21.86

John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection - $19.86

John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection - not listed

John Wayne - An American Icon Collection - $21.86

John Wayne Film Collection - $38.86

John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection - $38.86

James Stewart - The Western Collection - $29.86

Gary Cooper MGM Movie Legends Collection - $29.86

Fox Western Classics - $10.86

Again...I just feel so weird being so specific about a gift I want somebody else

to buy for me--even from my husband. That is just not something I usually do.

( But I think I can live with it.) :)

That all depends on if you like surprises. I like it when someone tells me what they

wish to get for gifts because I'd rather get them something they want than not. If you

wish to be surprised, make up a list of many items and then let your husband choose

for himself.

And what makes you think this is about my B-day???? (doesn't everybody

celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day??) :)

Does everyone's birthday fall on a Friday this year? ;)

I'll let you know how things go....and don't forget folks...that Toast option is

still open.(and would also make me very happy as I have not had a toaster since

my old one bit the dust way back in the Spring-) ..

I say toaster and DVD box set. You are definitely worth it, Kathy.

so let me know if you prefer light or dark.... (no Frank--they don't have a

'grey setting" on a toaster) and if you like butter only....or butter and

jelly/jam/preserves.

I want lightly-dark (brown). That's the "grey" of toast. Butter and jelly works for me.

Do you have Sergeant York on DVD? If you don't, I'd wish for your husband

to get you the Wayne-Ford box set and get the Coop box set for free at Deep

Discount.

By the way, is there a Borders in your area? I see there is one in Kansas City-Northland, but I don't know how close this is to you. Borders usually has a good selection of classic films on DVD in their stores. But I suggest joining Borders Rewards (it's free, just an e-mail address is needed) to get their coupons because they sell most everything for list price. Borders sends you a coupon each week via e-mail. Sometimes it's 20% off DVDs, sometimes it's 25% off, and sometimes it's 30% off. They also have 40% off coupons for single DVDs and sometimes box sets that runs two days, typically, Monday and Tuesday. The regular coupons are for Thursday thru Sunday. You can search the inventory of your local Borders on-line, so you will know for sure if they carry what you are looking for.

Kansas City-Northland has the following box sets:

John Wayne - An American Icon Collection

John Wayne Film Collection

You can also check your local Best Buy's inventory on-line. Here are the box sets in

the KC Best Buys:

John Wayne Century Collection - Tiffany Springs

John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection is at Tiffany Springs, Metro North, and Liberty.

James Stewart - The Western Collection is at Tiffany Springs, Metro North, and Liberty.

Grey Guy....you are truly amazing. I wish toasters did come with a Grey setting...just for you!! But when I start taking orders....I will definitely save you some lightly dark....what kind of jelly?? I usually go with seedless raspberry or red plum...but you can have whatever kind you like. :-)

I was just going to post on here about how much I was liking the John Wayne sets you listed....Century collection/western collection/Fox western collection/american icon...any of those would be great.

I am also liking the James Stewart collection....several of the films on that are among my favorites for him.

And I am so excited because I did not know you could ask Walmart to deliver to your store if something is online....that gives me a lot more chances to actually succeed in finding these....my husband is very much a "man on a mission" kinda shopper...not much for going store to store. So maybe we can go this weekend and check it out to see what we can get.

We live fairly close to the state line (Kansas) and between our immediate area and stuff on the Kansas side, there are several Best Buys and at least a couple of Barnes and Nobles...as well as Costco and if I'm not mistaken there used to be a Circuit City out in Independence (about 20 miles away) In fact this whole area is one big shopper's paradise. We don't live in the northland...but my parents do...so I know where to point dear old mom at Christmas time now too! :-)

We do have Sgt York on DVD.I bought it for my husband as a gift this past spring. If I recall I got it at the mall at an FYE store. (Before that, all we had was a homemade vhs tape that he recordered way back in the early nineties...complete with commercials and all--the DVD is WAY better!!) It is his all time favorite movie...and for me its almost my favorite-- second only to that certain movie i know will someday also be YOUR favorite...if you ever see it. (NO-wait. I will not harass you--no pressure about the Quiet Man tonight....you've been too nice looking up all this stuff for me.) :-)

As far as whether I deserve both a DVD set and a toaster...in truth I doubt I DESERVE either....but it's nice of you to say. And for all my kidding around about the toast...I really would be happy if he gets me that instead. I am probably one of the easiest people to shop for on the planet because I usually like whatever anyone is so kind as to give me.

Does everyone's birthday fall a Friday

I don't know about everyone's ...but Johnny Appleseed's does. :-)

Howdy, Worthy Gal -- I wish toasters did come with a Grey setting...just for you!! But when I start taking orders....I will definitely save you some lightly dark....what kind of jelly?? I usually go with seedless raspberry or red plum...but you can have whatever kind you like.

Jelly is something I don't mind being adventurous with. My favorites are old standbys, strawberry and grape. But I wouldn't mind raspberry. Red plum would be a walk on the wild side for me.

I was just going to post on here about how much I was liking the John Wayne sets you listed....Century collection/western collection/Fox western collection/american icon...any of those would be great.

If you are okay with spending $60-$75 on a box set, I would definitely go after the

The John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection or The John Wayne Century Collection.

They are the two best Wayne box sets out there. You get 8 films in the one and 14 in

the other. You said you wanted to get the most bang for your buck, and those are the

two that will do that for you. There are some nice extras in each box set, which will

add to your repeat viewings.

By the way, when I first got into buying DVDs about 7 years ago, I only bought singles.

I started with Hitchcock, getting Psycho, Rear Window, Rope,

Strangers on a Train, and Shadow of a Doubt. I soon got the bug and

decided I wanted to see and collect more Hitch. I ended up going after the box sets

then. I think you will enjoy the Duke more if you get one of the box sets.

I am also liking the James Stewart collection....several of the films on that are among

my favorites for him.

That box set just came out this year. Before the box set, you could only buy those

titles as singles. I have all of the titles in the box except for The Rare Breed. The

Winchester '73 DVD has a commentary track done by none other than James

Stewart. He was showing his age when he recorded the track but I just find it amazing

that a star from the Golden Era was willing to sit down and share his thoughts. That

alone makes the DVD worth it to me. It's also my favorite of the Mann-Stewart westerns.

And I am so excited because I did not know you could ask Walmart to deliver to

your store if something is online....that gives me a lot more chances to actually

succeed in finding these....my husband is very much a "man on a mission" kinda

shopper...not much for going store to store. So maybe we can go this weekend and

check it out to see what we can get.

It looks as if I may have misspoke. You can order on-line and have it sent to your local Walmart. I don't think you can go in and order something in the store and have it

shipped there. Who knows, maybe you can. I know you can order an item not in

stock at Borders and they will have it in the store in about a week. If Walmart doesn't

allow you to order something through them, maybe Best Buy does.

We live fairly close to the state line (Kansas) and between our immediate area

and stuff on the Kansas side, there are several Best Buys and at least a couple of

Barnes and Nobles...as well as Costco and if I'm not mistaken there used to be a

Circuit City out in Independence (about 20 miles away) In fact this whole area is one

big shopper's paradise. We don't live in the northland...but my parents do...so I know

where to point dear old mom at Christmas time now too!

If Tiffany Springs is close by, that Best Buy has the John Wayne Century Collection box

set. The James Stewart Westerns Collection is at Tiffany Springs, Metro North, and

Liberty Best Buys.

We do have Sgt York on DVD.I bought it for my husband as a gift this past

spring. If I recall I got it at the mall at an FYE store. (Before that, all we had was

a homemade vhs tape that he recordered way back in the early nineties...complete

with commercials and all--the DVD is WAY better!!) It is his all time favorite

movie...and for me its almost my favorite-- second only to that certain movie i know

will someday also be YOUR favorite...if you ever see it. (NO-wait. I will not harass

you--no pressure about the Quiet Man tonight....you've been too nice looking up all

this stuff for me.)

You can still harass me. ;)

As far as whether I deserve both a DVD set and a toaster...in truth I doubt

I DESERVE either....but it's nice of you to say.

A loving mother and wife certainly does DESERVE to be treated well. Women today are

asked to do a lot, and y'all need to be appreciated. I know a hundred dollars may sound

like a lot of money to you, but when it's all said and done, it's not. Just think of it as your

husband putting away two dollars a week just for your birthday.

And for all my kidding around about the toast...I really would be happy if he gets me

that instead. I am probably one of the easiest people to shop for on the planet because

I usually like whatever anyone is so kind as to give me.

I know you'd rather have the toaster. You're a practical gal who loves being a mother and

a wife. That's what's most important to you. I'd view the toaster as a family expenditure

and the box set as a gift for you.

Does everyone's birthday fall a Friday

I don't know about everyone's ...but Johnny Appleseed's does.

It certainly does, Kathy Appleseed.

I've compiled a Duke, Coop, and Ford DVD shopping list for you, Quiet Gal. I've listed

the best box set each film is included in. If there is nothing listed after a film, it's a

single DVD.

John Wayne on DVD (118 films)

The Shootist (1976) - John Wayne Century Collection

Rooster Cogburn (1975) - John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection

Brannigan (1975)

McQ (1974) - John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection

Cahill U.S. Marshal (1973)

The Train Robbers (1973) - John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection

The Cowboys (1972)

Big Jake (1971) - John Wayne Century Collection

Rio Lobo (1970) - John Wayne Century Collection

Chisum (1970)

The Undefeated (1969) - John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection

True Grit (1969) - John Wayne Century Collection

Hellfighters (1968) - John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection

The Green Berets (1968)

The War Wagon (1967) - John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection

El Dorado (1966) - John Wayne Century Collection

Cast a Giant Shadow (1966)

The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) - John Wayne Century Collection

In Harm's Way (1965) - John Wayne Century Collection

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)

McLintock! (1963) - John Wayne Century Collection

Donovan's Reef (1963) - John Wayne Century Collection

How the West Was Won (1962)

The Longest Day (1962)

Hatari! (1962) - John Wayne Century Collection

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - John Wayne Century Collection

The Comancheros (1961) - John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection

North to Alaska (1960) - John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection

The Alamo (1960)

The Horse Soldiers (1959)

Rio Bravo (1959)

Legend of the Lost (1957)

Jet Pilot (1957) - John Wayne: An American Icon Collection

The Wings of Eagles (1957) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

The Searchers (1956) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

The Conqueror (1956) - John Wayne: An American Icon Collection

Blood Alley (1955) - John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection

The Sea Chase (1955) - John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection

The High and the Mighty (1954) - John Wayne Century Collection

Hondo (1953) - John Wayne Century Collection

Island in the Sky (1953) - John Wayne Century Collection

Trouble Along the Way (1953) - John Wayne Film Collection

Big Jim McLain (1952) - John Wayne Film Collection

The Quiet Man (1952) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action)

Flying Leathernecks (1951)

Operation Pacific (1951)

Rio Grande (1950) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns)

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

The Fighting Kentuckian (1949) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns)

Wake of the Red Witch (1948) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action)

3 Godfathers (1948) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Red River (1948)

Fort Apache (1948) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Tycoon (1947) - John Wayne Film Collection

Angel and the Badman (1947) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Without Reservations (1946) - John Wayne Film Collection

Dakota (1945) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns)

They Were Expendable (1945) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Back to Bataan (1945)

Flame of Barbary Coast (1945) - Flame of Barbary Coast/Santa Fe Stampede Double Feature

Tall in the Saddle (1944) - John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection

The Fighting Seabees (1944)

A Lady Takes a Chance (1943) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 2 (Westerns)

Reunion in France (1942) - John Wayne Film Collection

Pittsburgh (1942) - John Wayne: An American Icon Collection

Flying Tigers (1942) - John Wayne Collection, Volume 1 (Action)

In Old California (1942)

The Spoilers (1942) - John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection

Reap the Wild Wind (1942) - John Wayne: Screen Legend Collection

The Shepherd of the Hills (1941) - John Wayne: An American Icon Collection

Seven Sinners (1940) - John Wayne: An American Icon Collection

The Long Voyage Home (1940) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Three Faces West (1940)

Dark Command (1940)

Allegheny Uprising (1939) - John Wayne Film Collection

New Frontier (1939)

Stagecoach (1939) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Santa Fe Stampede (1938) - Flame of Barbary Coast/Santa Fe Stampede Double Feature

Born to the West (1937) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Winds of the Wasteland (1936) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

King of the Pecos (1936)

Lawless Range (1935) - John Wayne Classics

Westward Ho (1935)

Paradise Canyon (1935) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Dawn Rider (1935) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Desert Trail (1935) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Rainbow Valley (1935) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Texas Terror (1935) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

'Neath the Arizona Skies (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Lawless Frontier (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Trail Beyond (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Star Packer (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Randy Rides Alone (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Man from Utah (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Blue Steel (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

West of the Divide (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Lucky Texan (1934) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Sagebrush Trail (1933) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Riders of Destiny (1933) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Man from Monterey (1933) - The Telegraph Trail/Somewhere in Sonora/The Man from Monterrey Triple Feature

Baby Face (1933) - Forbidden Hollywood Collection, Volume 1

His Private Secretary (1933)

Somewhere in Sonora (1933) - The Telegraph Trail/Somewhere in Sonora/The Man from Monterrey Triple Feature

The Three Musketeers (1933) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

The Telegraph Trail (1933) - The Telegraph Trail/Somewhere in Sonora/The Man from Monterrey Triple Feature

Haunted Gold (1932) - The Big Stampede/Ride Him Cowboy/Haunted Gold Triple Feature

The Big Stampede (1932) - The Big Stampede/Ride Him Cowboy/Haunted Gold Triple Feature

Ride Him, Cowboy (1932) - The Big Stampede/Ride Him Cowboy/Haunted Gold Triple Feature

The Hurricane Express (1932) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Two-Fisted Law (1932) - John Wayne Classics

Texas Cyclone (1932)

The Shadow of the Eagle (1932) - Ultimate John Wayne Collection

Range Feud (1931) - John Wayne Classics

The Big Trail (1930) - John Wayne: The Fox Westerns Collection

Born Reckless (1930) - Ford at Fox

Hangman's House (1928) - Ford at Fox

Four Sons (1928) - Ford at Fox

Gary Cooper on DVD (45 films)

The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959) - Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

They Came to Cordura (1959)

Alias Jesse James (1959) - Bob Hope MGM Movie Legends Collection

Man of the West (1958)

Love in the Afternoon (1957)

Friendly Persuasion (1956)

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955)

Vera Cruz (1954) - Gary Cooper MGM Legends Movie Collection

Garden of Evil (1954) - Fox Western Classics

Springfield Rifle (1952) - Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

High Noon (1952)

Distant Drums (1951)

You're in the Navy Now (1951)

Dallas (1950) - Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

The Fountainhead (1949) - Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

Unconquered (1947)

Cloak and Dagger (1946)

Along Came Jones (1945)

Casanova Brown (1944)

For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943)

The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

Ball of Fire (1941)

Sergeant York (1941) - Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection

Meet John Doe (1941) - Meet John Doe/A Farewell to Arms Double Feature

The Westerner (1940)

The Real Glory (1939) - Gary Cooper MGM Legends Movie Collection

Beau Geste (1939) - The Gary Cooper Collection

The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) - Gary Cooper MGM Legends Movie Collection

The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938)

The Plainsman (1936)

The General Died at Dawn (1936) - The Gary Cooper Collection

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) - The Premiere Frank Capra Collection

Peter Ibbetson (1935) - The Gary Cooper Collection

The Wedding Night (1935)

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) - The Gary Cooper Collection

Now and Forever (1934) - Shirley Temple: Little Darling Pack

Design for Living (1933) - The Gary Cooper Collection

A Farewell to Arms (1932) - Meet John Doe/A Farewell to Arms Double Feature

Fighting Caravans (1931) - Gary Cooper Classics

Morocco (1930) - Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection

It (1927)

The Winning of Barbara Worth (1926) - Gary Cooper MGM Legends Movie Collection

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925)

The Eagle (1925)

The Vanishing American (1925)

John Ford on DVD (48 films, 3 partial, 2 shorts)

Cheyenne Autumn (1964) - John Ford Film Collection

Donovan's Reef (1963)

How the West Was Won (1962) (segment "The Civil War")

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

Sergeant Rutledge (1960) - John Ford Film Collection

The Horse Soldiers (1959)

The Last Hurrah (1958)

The Wings of Eagles (1957) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

The Searchers (1956) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Mister Roberts (1955) (left film)

The Long Gray Line (1955)

Mogambo (1953)

What Price Glory (1952) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

The Quiet Man (1952)

Rio Grande (1950)

When Willie Comes Marching Home (1950) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Pinky (1949) (uncredited)

3 Godfathers (1948) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Fort Apache (1948) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

My Darling Clementine (1946) - Ford at Fox (and Essential)

They Were Expendable (1945) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

December 7th (1943) (short)

The Battle of Midway (1942) (short)

How Green Was My Valley (1941) - Ford at Fox (and Essential)

Tobacco Road (1941) - Ford at Fox

The Long Voyage Home (1940) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Ford at Fox (and Essential)

Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) - Ford at Fox (and Essential)

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) - Ford at Fox (and Criterion)

Stagecoach (1939) - John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection

Four Men and a Prayer (1938) - Ford at Fox

The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938) (uncredited)

The Hurricane (1937)

Wee Willie Winkie (1937) - Ford at Fox (and single)

Mary of Scotland (1936) - John Ford Film Collection

The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) - Ford at Fox (and single)

Steamboat Round the Bend (1935) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

The Informer (1935) - John Ford Film Collection

Judge Priest (1934) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

The World Moves On (1934) - Ford at Fox

The Lost Patrol (1934) - John Ford Film Collection

Doctor Bull (1933) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

Pilgrimage (1933) - Ford at Fox (and as double feature with Born Reckless)

Arrowsmith (1931)

Seas Beneath (1931) - Ford at Fox

Up the River (1930) - Ford at Fox (and American Comedies)

Born Reckless (1930) - Ford at Fox (and as double feature with Pilgrimage)

Hangman's House (1928) - - Ford at Fox (and Silent Epics)

Four Sons (1928) - - Ford at Fox (and Silent Epics)

3 Bad Men (1926) - - Ford at Fox (and Silent Epics)

The Iron Horse (1924) - Ford at Fox (Silent)

Just Pals (1920) - Ford at Fox (and Silent Epics)

Okay, I'm done DVD ramblin'.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I've compiled a Duke, Coop, and Ford DVD shopping list for you, Quiet Gal. I've listed

> the best box set each film is included in. If there is nothing listed after a film, it's a

> single DVD.

>

That is quite the list, FG. Hope it is as much help to Quiet Gal as it surely could be to the rest of us. ;)

Wow, bless you for making those lists, Frank! I'm going to print them out and

save them myself. I didn't even know *Three Faces West* and *The Last Hurrah* were

out on dvd. Thank you, that must have taken lots of time to put together. Kathy

will flip!

Lynn:

How funny that three days ago we were talking about "Heaven's Gate and several people have pointed out that it is on December's schedule.

You never know.

Oh My Gosh My Golly!!!! Scott...you have outdone yourself. This has been such a special Johnny Appleseed day for me already....and it isn't even here yet! Thank you so much.

This is so way beyond the few suggestions here and there that I was hoping to get from folks....I am nearly speechless. (only nearly). You spent way too much time on this...but it is one of the nicest things anyone has done for me in a long time. And as I can see--everyone else is getting the benefit of your expertise as well. You rock! (That's not something I say very often...so I really mean it! )

I don't think you mis-spoke about the Walmart thing...I think I misread. I went into their website later and found out that they only ship to the store after you order....so what I may end up doing is asking the QT (what I call my husband....short for cutie) to get me a gift card...and then I can order online for myself. But maybe can still convince him to check out Best Buy because I think it is the closest to us after WM. (Tiffany Springs is up north of the river too.)

I really am eying that Jimmy Stewart one too...but don't know if it will have to wait or not. Depends on what all I am able to get figured out once I settle on which "set" or "singles" to really ask for. You and everyone else have made this ALL too easy for him.

So...once again...my Grey Guy friend....thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now folks...enough ramblin' on about my future DVD buying habits....once again..as usual--I've misled the thread. (Movieman...way to get things back on track....ramble on!)

But before I go....A toast....to you Frank Grimes....for all your hard work.

(If I DO get a toaster for my birthda...I mean for Johnny Appleseed Day...I hope it isn't this one....it might be named Hal..and start calling me Dave....and then I'd be too scared to make the toast!) :-)

Good evening, Toasty Appleseed -- Oh My Gosh My Golly!!!! Scott...you have outdone yourself. This has been such a special Johnny Appleseed day for me already....and it isn't even here yet! Thank you so much.

This is so way beyond the few suggestions here and there that I was hoping to get from folks....I am nearly speechless. (only nearly). You spent way too much time on this...but it is one of the nicest things anyone has done for me in a long time. And as I can see--everyone else is getting the benefit of your expertise as well. You rock! (That's not something I say very often...so I really mean it! )

You are quite welcome, "Quiet" Gal. :) I know how lost a person can feel when trying to figure out what DVDs to get. My brother was into DVDs before I was and he would give me his wish list of DVDs. The problem was, I was absolutely clueless as to what editions to get, box sets, good prices, and the such. I'm a little better now. ;)

I don't think you mis-spoke about the Walmart thing...I think I misread. I went into their website later and found out that they only ship to the store after you order....so what I may end up doing is asking the QT (what I call my husband....short for cutie) to get me a gift card...and then I can order online for myself. But maybe can still convince him to check out Best Buy because I think it is the closest to us after WM. (Tiffany Springs is up north of the river too.)

The gift card is a good idea, especially if being surprised is not a big deal to you. It looks like it may be tough to track down either of the bigger Duke box sets in a store near you. I do believe you would receive the most "bang for your buck" AND the most enjoyment with them.

I really am eying that Jimmy Stewart one too...but don't know if it will have to wait or not. Depends on what all I am able to get figured out once I settle on which "set" or "singles" to really ask for.

The Stewart westerns box set is a good one to have. Your husband may even find that one around town. But I'm hoping you get the Duke.

You and everyone else have made this ALL too easy for him.

Great! That's what I wanted to do.

So...once again...my Grey Guy friend....thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now folks...enough ramblin' on about my future DVD buying habits....once again..as usual--I've misled the thread. (Movieman...way to get things back on track....ramble on!)

This is your thread! Not to mention, those on this thread are rather easy going. Well, except Snippy.

But before I go....A toast....to you Frank Grimes....for all your hard work. (If I DO get a toaster for my birthda...I mean for Johnny Appleseed Day...I hope it isn't this one....it might be named Hal..and start calling me Dave....and then I'd be too scared to make the toast!)

:D That was great! "Just what do you think you're doing, Kathy?"

Howdy, Chilly Bad Seed -- Wow, bless you for making those lists, Frank! I'm going to print them out and save them myself. I didn't even know Three Faces West and The Last Hurrah were

out on dvd. Thank you, that must have taken lots of time to put together.

You are welcome. I always keep a list of trashy DVDs to avoid on hand.

You are welcome. I always keep a list of trashy DVDs to avoid on hand.

I take back everything nice I wrote about you.

You have a short, nasty memory, How unsurprising!

You must have me confused with someone else. I'm the kind, sweet gentleman with great taste.