Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

I didn't even find the movie itself as good as I remember when I last saw it,

Well?. I always tell my daughter that different people like different things. And sometimes the same person can like different things at different times. (Ok--so I am not a fount of wisdom...) :-)

I haven?t seen this film in some time, but I always remember liking it for a variety of reasons. I too like the two sisters and their respective stories. And the story leading up to all that with their family has always stuck out in my mind. I still remember the raft on the rapids and thought that was very suspenseful. In truth?if there is a part that is ?fuzzy? in my memory--it would have to be the civil war portions with the Duke, etc. I will be paying closer attention when I see that the next time for sure?because all I really recall was him standing around talking?.and I think it was nighttime...(and maybe there was a cannon nearby???) I remember some of the portions w/ the boys--but again--it is all a bit fuzzy.

I think the scenery and the music in this movie are almost as much a character as the actors (we played the theme song one year in high school marching band (a gazillion years ago) and I still remember my tenor sax part--want me to hum it for you??) I would like to see HTWWW maybe one more time the ?old way? and then see the new DVD so I can try and really appreciate the improvements--but don't know if I will get to that or not.

I have to agree that maybe this film goes on a little too long with the whole Peppard character and his family near the end (it almost turns into another movie at that point?at least that?s always how it seemed to me) But having said that?.this is probably the only George Peppard role I ever really liked. (Maybe I need to see more Peppard stuff than just this and the A-Team. (HA!) (I know he was in Breakfast at Tiffany?s, but I may be one of the few remaining people on the planet who has never seen that movie--it just never seemed like something I wanted to see--OK-don?t everybody start stoning me at once! I DID say different people like different things! ) :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

I was able to stand Peppard and even like him a little in *Home from the Hill* with Robert Mitchum.

Have you seen that one, Kathy? It's an excellent family drama. Mitchum plays a sort of "Big

Daddy" type of character, married to the lovely Eleanor Parker who cannot abide his rough ways.

Have you seen that one, Kathy?

We should both put a short cut on our computer...with a copy of the following lines:

April's computer: Have you seen that one, Kathy?

Kathy's computer: No--I Haven't seen that one, April. Is this one for my list???

:-)

WHAT AM I EVEN DOING ON THIS SITE??? I am clearly not qualified to post here with such a poor resume of movies to list....It might be easier for me to just make a big (or would it be big??) list of all the movies I HAVE actually seen. HA!!! :-)

So...in answer to your question.....No...I haven't seen that. I don't know if I can picture Mitchum as a big daddy-ish kinda guy...he's usually more of a renegade or drifter or ne'er do well....OR hugely creepy bad guy. (But then again...given my limited viewing of all movies in general--I am sure he has many other qualities as an actor that I have yet to explore.

Is this one for my list???? :-)

Ha! Believe me, I'm the same because there are so many films I saw such a long time ago

that I only have vague memories of them. Besides, you have a lot going on in your life besides

movies!

I would put *Home from the Hill* near the bottom of your list, there are other Mitchum performances

that are more worthy of seeing first. This one is good for a change of pace. He's not really

creepy or totally bad, just kind of loud and bullying, especially toward his family. And you're

right, it's not a typical Mitchum role at all. It's on DVD so it will be around when you get to it.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I think the scenery and the music in this movie are almost as much a character as the actors (we played the theme song one year in high school marching band (a gazillion years ago) and I still remember my tenor sax part--want me to hum it for you??) I would like to see HTWWW maybe one more time the old way and then see the new DVD so I can try and really appreciate the improvements--but don't know if I will get to that or not.

>

If by the "old way" you mean a Cinerama showing, I'll be waiting along with you until the next one comes along! ;)

Actually...as unschooled as I am on the techincal aspects of film...all I can really say I meant is ...however it was shown whenever I saw it last. :-)

> Actually...as unschooled as I am on the techincal aspects of film...all I can really say I meant is ...however it was shown whenever I saw it last. :-)

So you did see it in a theater?

in a theater

Not unless you count a film projector in a class room when I was in the 7th grade. (that was the 1st time I saw it.) :-) I've probably seen it on TV (3 or 4 times over the past 30 years) since then. Maybe you can explain to me (dummy it down if you please)----I do understand Cinerama. (sort of--at least enough to know that it is not the same on tv) But how exactly will the new DVD be different or better than what you could buy before??????????

> in a theater

>

> Not unless you count a film projector in a class room when I was in the 7th grade. (that was the 1st time I saw it.) :-) I've probably seen it on TV (3 or 4 times over the past 30 years) since then. Maybe you can explain to me (dummy it down if you please)----I do understand Cinerama. (sort of--at least enough to know that it is not the same on tv) But how exactly will the new DVD be different or better than what you could buy before??????????

Well Cinerama basically consists of a movie that is shown through 3 projectors, right? I mean the image is split up in 3 horizontal panels, with each projector showing one-third of the picture.

In the previous video releases, you could really tell the "seams" where the 3 panels intersected with each other. The very latest release has been cleaned up digitally so that the "seams" are more or less invisible - although you may still be able to notice the difference in the shade of the sky, for example, how the image is split up in 3 parts.

Also if you watch it on Blu-Ray, you get a "Smilebox" version that recreates the curved look of a Cinerama screen.

This review from dvdbeaver.com has screenshot comparisons between the "regular" version and the "Smilebox" version:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews40/how_the_west_was_won_blu-ray.htm

This was very helpful--thanks. I am sure I still don't understand all of it, but it does give me some idea anyway.

> This was very helpful--thanks. I am sure I still don't understand all of it, but it does give me some idea anyway.

I hope I explained it clearly.

Just picture 3 standard-size (4x3, or the size of old-fashioned television sets) movie screens forming a big horizontal rectangle. That's all that Cinerama really is.

Or a very wide picture divided in 3 parts, each of which with the same ratio as an old TV screen. And imagine the "seams" where the left-hand and the right-hand panels join with the center panel.

That's all, really

This looks REALLY interesting gals!!! I just watched part of Silverado the other evening and was wishing for a western to watch at the theaters. They've been few and far between over the years...at least good ones anyway, and I've only gotten to see a handful of them. (I'm still in a dilema over whether or not to see the new 3:10--oh the knot I tied myself up in over that one!! )

This sounds like a good story, and I think Ed Harris is a very good actor, and Jeremy Irons is always good at being rotten. I don't have much I can say yet about Mortensen...except he was great in the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. But this would be a much different role for him I am sure. ( I did see a portion of that movie he was in about the horse race in the middle east...can't recall the name of it. It seemed like a good movie, but I missed part of it so would need to watch it again to really comment)

Anyway...this is the first I have heard of this film...and the two things I like best so far:

themes of personal honor that don't age. (April--that was in the article you posted.)

And Opens on Friday nationwide. (Film Fatale, that was in your article.)

Maybe will ask the QT to take me out to celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day (But this would of course involve a 45 minute trip to the grandma's and such for a babysitter) We may have to go the day AFTER Johnny Appleseed Day..since that would be a Saturday instead of out so late on a Friday night (us old folks need our rest)....but I can wait. If anybody gets a chance to see it sooner...let me know what you think!

I may see it, I'm not sure. I'm guessing I may like Ed Harris in it but I am less confident

of actually liking the film. I was so repulsed with the remake of 3:10 to Yuma that I'm

very mistrustful of modern westerns. I'll let you know my "review" if I end up seeing it.

April:

Ed Harris made a TV version of "The New Riders of The Purple Sage." He did a nice job in that one so he is not a complete stranger to westerns.

Kathy:

Give us your take on "Silverado." Please.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> April:

>

> Ed Harris made a TV version of "The New Riders of The Purple Sage." He did a nice job in that one so he is not a complete stranger to westerns.

>

Howdy, Chris!

I can picture Ed being right at home in a western milieu, in fact I'm surprised he hasn't

done a project like this sooner. I'm even curious about Viggo Mortensen in his part, he

has a good look for the genre, too. Don't know about Renee, though, I have the feeling

she's going to be the odd fish out of water. I just spoke to a friend of mine who wants to

see Appaloosa, so it may be soon.

> Maybe will ask the QT to take me out to celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day (But this would of course involve a 45 minute trip to the grandma's and such for a babysitter) We may have to go the day AFTER Johnny Appleseed Day..since that would be a Saturday instead of out so late on a Friday night (us old folks need our rest)....but I can wait. If anybody gets a chance to see it sooner...let me know what you think!

Sure will, if I end up watching it. ;)

Silverado

Hi Chris--

I have always enjoyed Silverado. I first saw it when it came out at the theater way back in the 80?s. I've probably seen it maybe 3 or 4 times all total. Though it had been a while for me when it came on the other night. (not a good choice for the short person, so I have passed it by several times due to her.) I don?t have the tape or DVD but would probably buy it if I ever run across it. I wouldn?t call it a GREAT western exactly. But it is a good one for sure.

You won?t find any ?deep? characters in this one (April---no ?Ethan?s? or ?Tom?s?) but the story is nicely told and the characters all seem to fit. This is the first movie I ever recall Kevin Costner in, (and I probably would have been happy if he?d just stopped with maybe this film and possibly The Untouchables--but maybe that?s just me) Anyway, I like the ensemble cast-Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, a very slimy Jeff Goldblum, etc.And Brian Dennehy is always a very GOOD bad guy (when he is being bad). All pretty reliable.( John Cleese's character is amusing)

I think Linda Hunt does a good job in this film as well. I would have liked to know more about her past...and probably Kline's character too, (but at least there is some mention and explanation.) I'm sure there were just too many characters in this one to get too bogged down in their individual histories. All in all, everybody mixes well together, and there are enough elements of the traditional western (right down to the shootout in the street) to make it a nice way to spend a couple of hours or so. At least that's always how I've found it...

I?d be interested in your thoughts as well.

And PS--weren't you the one who mentioned Randolph Scott westerns?? I can't remember if you ever gave me any "recommendations" as to any favorites to look for...I looked for the discussion in some past posts, but may have missed it. Would be interested to hear if you have any choices to look for. (Sorry if I overlooked the post....my brain goes fuzzy on me from time to time.) :-)

Opens on Friday nationwide

NOT! I was curious about why I had not heard or seen any commercials for Appaloosa....so I went on line and looked at their official site...only opens in NY, LA, and Toronto today. Everybody else has to wait until 10/3.

Still not even sure if it will be worth all the effort, but maybe this will give some of you folks on one or the other of those two coasts--or way up in the Great White North--(eh) a chance to let me know!! :-)

Chris,

*Silverado* is one of my guilty pleasures. Mr Cutter and I always stop and watch it if we run across it.

The score is great. I especially like the cast but wish the script hadn't felt like everything and the kitchen sink.

Wish they had done a sequel like was originally planned.

Kathy and Lynn:

"Silverado" is one that I enjoy watching most anytime. I consider to be Kasdan's homage to westerns. Hence the kitchen sink approach. I mentioned somewhere that westerns have about a dozen story lines and this one gets most of them.

The action is fine. The cast is great. Glenn, Kline, Dennehy (great bad guy) and Linda Hunt was a stroke of genius. I could have done without Goldblum and Glover's sister but those are minor complaints.

The other real surprise is Cleese. One of my favorite lines in the whole thing is when he come in to break up the fight and mentions "It's hard on the peace and it's hard on the furniture."

I wonder if when the score was written the composer thought what would Elmer Bernstein do. He certainly gets the feel of it.

Too long, yeah. A little too planned out but everyone does such a good job that it is wasy to overlook. Maybe Kasdan thought the best way to save the westerns was to make them like they used to. I think he does pretty well.

Kathy:

I think the extent of my Scott recommendations was the films he made with Budd Boetticher. Most those involve the titles "The Tall T", "Comanche Station" (Which airs soon if not already on TCM), "Buchanan Rides Alone", and "Ride Lonesome" and one or two others. All solid westerns pulled in at under 90 minutes. Scott, one could argue, plays basically the same guy but they are all solid stories.

"7 Men From Now" and "Ride The High Country" are considered classics but most of his 1950's output is worth the trouble.

One you might pass on is "The Stranger Wore A Gun. It is not that is a bad movie (though clearly not up to the others) it is that it was shot in 3D and it is the most painfully obvious movie I have ever seen of trying to exploit it. More than the usual throwing things at the screen some outdoor shots of trying to place rocks in the foreground to give it depth look funny because when the camera turns they rocks turn with the camera.

> Opens on Friday nationwide

>

> NOT! I was curious about why I had not heard or seen any commercials for Appaloosa....so I went on line and looked at their official site...only opens in NY, LA, and Toronto today. Everybody else has to wait until 10/3.

>

I think that should be a good sign, they don't usually do a platform release these days unless they're fairly confident they're going to get good reviews. So maybe it's actually kind of a good movie. ;)

I am still remaining hopeful...I watched the trailer. It does look good. So will have to keep my fingers crossed. Here's a link to the official site for anyone who may not have seen it...

http://welcometoappaloosa.warnerbros.com/

Ok..this link wasn't showing anything but a black screen earlier today...but appears to be working now. :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka