Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rohanaka

Western Movie Rambles

Thanks Chris for the Scott info..I will check some of those out and see if they ring any bells...my wanna see list is bulging at the seams....but I want to try and organize them by some sort of category to try and make it more managable....and thought I remembered you saying something about Randolph Scott...and then when I couldn't find it, all I could think of was (you know the song--sing along with me--) Whatever happended to Randolph Scott?? :-)

With regard to Silverado-- homage to westerns That's a great way to describe it. :-)

Deleted post...I see the Warner Bros link that I posted earlier is finally working. :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

"7 Men From Now" and "Ride The High Country"The Tall T",Comanche Station

Hi again Chris...I looked up some of the ones you mentioned--I believe I have seen a couple of them--but would like to see them again to be sure--these all sound good to me. (I got a "wake up call" scheduled for me from the old database on the ones that are showing in the near future so hopefully can try to catch them) Thanks again.

*Whatever happended to Randolph Scott??>>*

Aside from the Statler Brothers, Randolph (cue chorus) Scott, Joel McCrea and Barbara Stanwyck took the advice that Will Rogers gave each of them early in their careers, invest in the San Fernando Valley.

The Valley, at the time, was still filled with orange groves, farms and ranches. After the War, it burgeoned into a series of bedroom communities filled with families hoping to find their part of the American dream.

Because Scott, McCrea and Stanwyck had bought land (lots of land) before the boom, they each made quite a profit when the land boom hit.

Howdy, Kathy---it looks like I'll be seeing *Appaloosa* tonight. I'll let you know how it is.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Howdy, Kathy---it looks like I'll be seeing *Appaloosa* tonight. I'll let you know how it is.

Enjoy the show! B-)

OK, scratch that, one of my friends has to work so we're going to try to see it tomorrow. :)

land (lots of land)

Now I will be singing..."Don't fence me in" :-)

Sounds like these folks made some good business choices. Wouldn't it be great to have bought up land like that way back when (for the usual asking price of the day) and sell it for today's prices?? All that cash would cover more than a few rainy days I am sure.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Sounds like these folks made some good business choices. Wouldn't it be great to have bought up land like that way back when (for the usual asking price of the day) and sell it for today's prices?? All that cash would cover more than a few rainy days I am sure.

If anyone had known what it would be worth today, many more folks would have surely wanted to own large lots of land in Manhattan and modern-day Los Angeles. B-)

Wouldn't it be great to find out you were the sole heir to dear departed old great, great "uncle so and so's" vast fortune??? Hey...shades of Mr Deed's, I guess. Though I don't remember the fortune coming from real estate....

> Wouldn't it be great to find out you were the sole heir to dear departed old great, great "uncle so and so's" vast fortune??? Hey...shades of Mr Deed's, I guess. Though I don't remember the fortune coming from real estate....

It wouldn't even have to be a "vast fortune". A nice medium-sized apartment in Manhattan or a modest house in L.A. would be very very welcome. ;)

It's nice to have a dream...Tell you what...if my "fortune" turns out to be "vast" I will share it with you and you can have your pick of either coast. :-)

If I had a time machine I would go back in time about 70 years and buy up land in the San Fernando Valley and along the Las Vegas Strip and will it my family years later with the proviso they sell by 2004/2005.

A girl can dream.....

And speaking of which, Frankie, how goes that Time Machine?

Message was edited by: lzcutter

> It's nice to have a dream...Tell you what...if my "fortune" turns out to be "vast" I will share it with you and you can have your pick of either coast. :-)

That's awful sweet of you :x

But if you can just make things work for you, then I'll be happy for you. ;)

And speaking of which, Frankie, how goes that Time Machine?

Are you smacking me, Lynn, dear? What Time Machine? I could use one to watch

some movies.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> And speaking of which, Frankie, how goes that Time Machine?

>

> Are you smacking me, Lynn, dear? What Time Machine? I could use one to watch

> some movies.

Would you go back to the date of their original theatrical opening, so you could watch pristine 35mm prints projected to a thoughtful and dedicated audience that wouldn't have to be told to turn their darn cellphones off? ;)

:D I think I'm gonna have to go back in time to see some films, that's for sure. The prices will be just right, I'll say that.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> :D I think I'm gonna have to go back in time to see some films, that's for sure. The prices will be just right, I'll say that.

I'm sure if you bring back 2008 dollars, they will go a loooooong way a few decades back in time. ;)

If *Appaloosa* doesn't come off today, I'll be watching *The Big Trail* in widescreen with Richard

Shickel's commentary. I just finished watchign the "extras" on the new DVD and they alone have

already sold me on wanting to get it (I am renting at the moment). There are several short

documentaries and the best of the bunch is the one about Raoul Walsh, which I encourage

EVERYONE to see because it's so fascinating and will inspire you to want to explore his

wonderful, wonderful films even more. It's so lovely to see him getting his due. :)

The other documentaries are on the Grandeur film process, the making of the film, and

on John Wayne's early days. All are excellent.

The Big Trail

That one's been on my list a while now. Hope to hear a ramble from you on this one...AND Appaloosa too.

FF- and MS Cutter... I guess we will just have to dream! (I have always said that if my ship ever came in...it would probably either be named The Titanic...or the SS Minnow...either way, I'm out of luck.)

PS: HEY GREY GUY: The prices will be just right, Sir..are my tightfisted ways rubbing off on you--or is this a fluke??

And before I forget...since we started talking about Silverado....and with all this talk about Appaloosa--I have been meaning to ask everybody...---Has anyone seen Open Range and if so...what are your thoughts???

I have watched it once a while back and I caught the end of it again yesterday on the history channel. It's a bit rougher than Silverado, and the story is no where near as--shall we say-- multi-faceted. But I thought Duvall was very good. And Kostner...well I have to admit--he wasn't bad either. I liked certain elements of the story and thought most of the characters were pretty well done.

I would be interested in some of your comments too if anyone else wants to chime in.

I just finished watching a documentary on westerns that aired on Encore called "Golden

Saddles and Silver Spurs". It was interesting, especially because its emphasis was on

the early western stars with whom I am less familiar. It was made up of mostly film clips

from "B" movies and serials, with *Angel and the Bad Man* figuring prominently as the

most familiar title. Next to little was said about the most famous westerns, they probably

couldn't get rights to show many other films. Anyway, it was a great introduction to the history

of how the genre came to be and the growth of their popularity.

I wish I could see *Straight Shooting*.