Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western Movie Rambles

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> The Big Trail

>

> That one's been on my list a while now. Hope to hear a ramble from you on this one...AND Appaloosa too.

>

> FF- and MS Cutter... I guess we will just have to dream! (I have always said that if my ship ever came in...it would probably either be named The Titanic...or the SS Minnow...either way, I'm out of luck.)

>

I remember I bought the 2-disc edition of *The Big Trail* almost as soon as it came out, I was so happy to finally see it getting a proper release on DVD. Before that, the only option if you wanted to watch the widescreen version of the film was to catch it on FMC, but the picture quality wasn't very good and it wasn't captioned. Now I'm hoping they might eventually release it on Blu-Ray, but I'm not gonna hold my breath....

I watched Stars in My Crown tonight....what a nice movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoyed this film for a variety of reasons. Thanks Frank...and I think April or Chris...whoever it was that mentioned this so long ago. I hope others got to watch it too. It's way past my bedtime...so will have to inflict my ramble on you at another time, but feel free to ramble away yourselves, if you want to and I'll check back in sometime when I less likely to fall asleep at the keyboard

Buenos noches, mis amigos! (or as one of my goof- ball brothers always says..."Bernie's Nachos, ya' all" ) :-)

We probably all mentioned it. It is a lovely movie. I think Osborne called it homespun. That is an apt description. It is a great story of how one man can make a difference in a town and in a life. I'm sure many modern movie goers would think it a bit hokey but that is part of its charm.

McCrea is well cast here. It makes one wonder (April?) how Cooper would have been except he might have been a bit too old. McCrea once said he didn't get a script that didn't have Cooper's fingerprints on it. Alan Hale plays a nice part too.

Many around here think highly of it and it is far too unkown. I'd never heard of it until last year.

Hi Kathy---I'm glad you got to see Stars in My Crown, it's a good one isn't it? I loved

Juano Hernandez' part, he was more than just a folksy character, he really was a touchstone

and catalyst for so many emotions, values and events. What was your favorite scene?

Chris---while I'm sure Coop would have been fine in the part I identify Joel so closely with it

I can't imagine anyone else. I just wish I could have remained awake for more than half of

it, ha! But, happily I _do_ have the DVD now. :)

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> hey dahlink!

>

> i watched the

>

> The Lawless Street not too long ago with Angela Lansbury and Randolf Scott when he was much older...he plays a really cute cowboy in his movies.

>

Great pictures, dahlink! I'm trying to remember if I've seen this one...somehow I don't think

so because I would surely recall Angela. I hope TCM or Encore will air it soon, it sounds

good!

*Great pictures, dahlink! I'm trying to remember if I've seen this one...somehow I don't think*

*so because I would surely recall Angela. I hope TCM or Encore will air it soon, it sounds*

*good!*

i need a better version of the movie too. TCM needs to air it. grandmama is getting mad at TCM again b/c she says they never air the rare ones that she needs to rerecord. she still wants to take over for robert osborne for one whole year and make the list of movies for that one year and then she'll let robert take over again. heehee!

>

> i need a better version of the movie too. TCM needs to air it. grandmama is getting mad at TCM again b/c she says they never air the rare ones that she needs to rerecord. she still wants to take over for robert osborne for one whole year and make the list of movies for that one year and then she'll let robert take over again. heehee!

Well, from those caps I gather it is on DVD so that would probably have the best image

quality. Maybe I'll see if I can rent it.

Stars In My Crown

Again-thanks you guys for pointing this one out to me. The whole time I was watching it I kept wishing my husband was awake to see it too (he?s been working the ?way-early? shift lately so his bedtime is also ?way early? as a result) I will have to watch for this one again sometime because I think he would like it as much as I did.

I don?t know that I would look at this as a ?western? (though we are rambling about it over here) and although I enjoyed it very much?I would not put it on the same level as How Green was my Valley or Sgt. York. ( Or maybe not even Little House on the Prairie) but I saw something of each of these stories in this film. And I liked it very much. I think sometimes people expect films about faith like this to be either ?stuffy? or ?preachy? ?or even cornball. (an unfortunate Hollywood side effect) but this story is none of these things. Chris, I agree-homespun is the right word. And as a ?homespun? folksy kinda gal, this one was right up my alley.

April, I agree about the ?Uncle Famous? character. His character added a lot of texture to the story and gave a bit more ?meat? to the whole thing. (I also felt that about the whole typhoid thing too.) This film could have very easily been just a ?happy, sappy, fluffy? sort of story, but there was a lot more depth to everything because of these aspects. And I really liked Hales? character too. I found it very realistic how although he had a deep respect for the parson?s character and personal integrity, he did not have any use for the faith that formed it. (I loved the shot of him and his boys hiding out as ?secret bodyguards? after the big showdown at Uncle Famous? house, only to find out that their services were never really needed. And then to see them all come ducking in to church after that-I just wanted to start singing along with the rest of the congregation?but only after shouting out a hearty ?Amen!? )

And after viewing this film, I now have a new favorite movie line that I expect to be quoting on a regular basis. This particular line just jumped out at me and I liked it so much, I had to write it down so I could remember it. I want you all to know that I found this to be one of the truest statements ever uttered in film history and it will forever follow me and shape my attitude toward humanity from here on out. Boy?by now I am sure you are ALL wondering what nugget of wisdom could have possibly affected Kathy so deeply?and I won?t keep you in suspense any longer, so here it is:

When the aunt tells little Dean Stockwell the story about the ?straight stick?, she said that her mother had told her that... *?Every man has something the matter with him?* HAAAAA! :-)

Ok-I confess-my REAL reason for writing it down was to use it as a ?barb? on my husband the first chance I get. I fully understand that using this line as a ?gotcha? would be taking it out of context a bit?but I don?t mind. :-) (And this was yet another reason I wish the QT had been awake to see to see this movie! I could have ?zapped? him with that one already. Now I will just have to wait.)

And PS---Mr. Grey Guy....confess...the REAL reason you liked this movie is because the parson's wife goes around calling her husband...MR. GREY!!!!!!! (No--this did not escape my notice one bit.) :-)

And PS---Mr. Grey Guy....confess...the REAL reason you liked this movie is because the parson's wife goes around calling her husband...MR. GREY!!!!!!! (No--this did not escape my notice one bit.) :)

I haven't seen Stars in My Crown, Quiet Gal. I never heard of the film until ChiO

mentioned how much he liked it on the board. I missed recording it earlier this year

but I did record it last night, along with Devil's Doorway and The Tall Target.

So the parson's wife calls him "Mr. Grey." I guess I'll have to watch the film to find out why.

> i know! i wouldnt mind him, gary or james garner being my sherriff! heehee!

>

> hey a new list to make!! our favorite sherriffs! how about it michaela? you dahlink?

Um, I would start the list with Gary Cooper in *High Noon*. :x

"Mr. Grey."

What...you haven't seen this film?? I must have remembered incorrectly...silly me. But I DID laugh out loud when I thought of the coincidence--Hope you get to see this one sometime.

I am interested in The Tall Target. ( and the Devil' s Doorway too.) Let me know what you think of those. I've been reading some of the other comments elsewhere. They both sound like they were good stories.

What...you haven't seen this film??

That's strange, I just heard a northeastern "wind," howling. :D

I must have remembered incorrectly...silly me. But I DID laugh out loud when

I thought of the coincidence--Hope you get to see this one sometime.

I have it to watch now. I'm curious to know about this "Mr. Grey."

I am interested in The Tall Target. ( and the Devil' s Doorway too.) Let me know

what you think of those. I've been reading some of the other comments

elsewhere. They both sound like they were good stories.

Bronxie's words on both are very good. I haven't watched a Robert Taylor film yet

and, I must admit, I'm a little worried. I'm wondering if my perceptions match reality.

I hope they don't. Joel McCrea is an actor that I do like and Dick Powell is okay in

my book.

I'm curious to know about this "Mr. Grey."

At the risk of being a "spoiler", I won't tell you too much other than that is his last name...and also maybe I ought to tell you he is more or less "Grey" in name only. He really was a stand-up kinda guy. (but he DID have one moment or two where he "second guesses" himself and maybe that is a bit in the "grey realm". Won't say much more than that and let you see for yourself.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I haven't watched a Robert Taylor film yet and, I must admit, I'm a little worried. I'm wondering if my perceptions match reality. I hope they don't.

Not as worried as I am. May I suggest Nicholas Ray's gangster drama *Party Girl*, with Cyd Charisse and (of course) Robert Taylor?

aNicholas%20Ray%20Party%20Girl%20Cyd%20Charisse%20DVD%20PDVD_011.jpg