Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disabilities on Film

4 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Also - Blindness: The Whales Of August (1987). I saw this on TCM.

And you stayed AWAKE for the whole thing???

;)

(...I kid...it was pretty cool seein' all those old stars in that movie, wasn't it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And you stayed AWAKE for the whole thing???

;)

(...I kid...it was pretty cool seein' all those old stars in that movie, wasn't it)

Nobody warned me. Same goes for "An Affair To Remember."

The "Dirty Dozen" scene in "Sleepless In Seattle, is so hard to watch. <wink> <-blind emoji.

31 minutes ago, batongal said:

Tom Cruise playing a paraplegic in Born on the Fourth of July.  Willem DaFoe also plays one.

And they have a chicken-fight with their wheelchairs.  Which I think is supposed to be dramatic, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, Dargo said:

So, how about...

Yep, offhand I'd say here ya have a guy who's learned very well how to work around his disabilities and use them to his advantage.

(...hey, at least I know I could never light MY cigar with my finger, anyway...well, not without it hurtin' like a son of a you-know-what, anyway)

Anyone doing an imitation of Lionel Atwill, is definitely handicapped, Darg-O!

I love it when he tries to snap his arm into positions. He also reminds me of the Henry Kissinger imitation in "Doctor Strangelove".

Thanks!

On 7/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, DougieB said:

Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy. I don't recall that the actual affliction was mentioned, but his dragging gait significantly limits his movement and gives his defiant assertion that "I'm walking here!" a real resonance. I'm sure it was a big factor in the character's marginalization and seedy lifestyle; doors tend to close in the face of someone like Ratso.

I have a friend [sadly female and actually quite pretty] who insists occasionally on doing her Ratso Rizzo imitation if we are anywhere near pay phones, so I dig your comments, Dougie.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:57 PM, hamradio said:

Wouldn't Forrest Gump qualify for mental disability?

Don't forget;

That aside, as a kid Forrest required LEG BRACES in order to walk.  So I suppose that makes TWO disabilities he had.  ;)

Sepiatone

13 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Don't forget;

That aside, as a kid Forrest required LEG BRACES in order to walk.  So I suppose that makes TWO disabilities he had.  ;)

Sepiatone

...And don't forget Captain Dan, who lost his legs.

• Thanks 1

How about Herbert Marshall in THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE (blind).

Mr. Marshall in real life had a disability: he had to have a leg amputated as a result of being hit by a sniper during WWI. He wore a prosthetic leg for the remainder of his life, and suffered from horrific phantom pain. 

• Thanks 1

I can also think of some whodunits in which a character is supposedly disabled, but later it's revealed that they really don't have that disability. Sometimes they're the killers and sometimes they're the red herrings.

Barbara Stanwyck's character in Sorry Wrong Number definitely had a problem. She was bedridden, but it's mentioned in the film that a lot of her problem was in her mind.

Forrest Gump outgrew his physical problem, but he remained mentally slow all his life. In this film, Lt. Dan becomes injured in the Vietnam War. ("Lieutenant Dan! Ice cream!")

In Who's Minding the Mint?, one character had become deaf after spending years working in a noisy part of the jail (as an inmate).

34 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Ummmm..............

That was LIEUTENANT Dan!  ;)  

Sepiatone

Yes! That's an embarrassing error on my part. I would go back and edit it, but I've already been exposed!

• Haha 1