Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zea

MOVIES YOU LIKE TO GOOF ON

For me it's "Valley of the Dolls". Friends and I would do dialog right along w/actors or make up our own. We'd also take turns who's sing "It's Impossible" and "Come Live With Me". 

Ultimate was drawing straws for who'd get to act Neely's alley scene.  Oh, those were the days.

• Haha 2

Too many movies to name. ;)  

My brothers and I often "Go to 11" with THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) :D

I like Sweet Kitty Bellairs a 1930 movie (with song) where Miss Bellairs (Claudia Dell) says to Lord Varnish (Walter Pidgeon who is so young that he all but unrecognizable) who seems to be unaware that the door bell is ringing, "Well, don't you think you should answer the door?" while (she is) hiding behind a curtain preparing some ruse. Poor Lord Varnish who is painfully shy and comes across as what is commonly referred to as an "idiot" starts from his dizzy reverie with a sort of "ulp" and answers the door. Claudia Dell is cute as a button and imbues that simple phrase with humor (but not quite intentionally, there's the charm). Though this would hardly qualify as cult, it seems pleasing to mind if it should suddenly come to it. And it would be fun to sing the song that the highwayman sings to Kitty after he removes her purse from her person and steals a few kisses. The song is mock pomposity as an amusing identification whereby the robber brags that he is just about the best damn highway robber that ever damn was. If I ever find one, two, or maybe even three (gasp) Sweet Kitty Bellairs enthusiasts it would be a kick to sing that song together in the spirit of sheer silliness while paying tribute to an all-but-forgotten little gem (or curio, please you), all 63 minutes of it. And it pops up on TCM once in awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Kitty_Bellairs

Sure, I do some of this kind of thing; "in-joke" gestures and sayings ...ingrained from long familiarity with Late Night black'n'white. But just a very little bit in a public setting, because few people grasp the references I'm likely to make.

There's ones I feel which should be easy for anyone to grasp ('The Shining', or 'Airplane') ...but sometimes today's dopes even fail this really rudimentary test of film lore.

It sounds far-fetched but sometimes I meet people who think Daniel Craig is the only James Bond. They have to be prodded and prompted to remember there were others. The only name people do not struggle with lately is probably Clint Eastwood.

Anyway it all becomes pointless when you have to explain a reference; so why bother.

Of course, someone could accuse me of willful unfamiliarity with today's nonstop 'churn' of pop-references; ('The Hangover', 'Batman', etc) but my reply to that is that first of all, I am a working man and I don't have time -- second of all, I don't have inclination-- to lead the life of an adolescent slacker and give my attention to this.

Thirdly, the movies kids watch today are fly-by-night frippery; the content is thin; the turnover is instantaneous and they're forgotten by everyone in a few months. Why should I pay attention to such evanescent products?

But meanwhile--to my way of thinking--if you don't know even one John Wayne quote or mannerism, you are sorely lacking in knowledge of your country's history. There's a big difference. His career spanned decades.

True story: this past year I encountered some stooge in a barroom who was at least 28 yrs old...but he didn't even know who the Carradines were. None of them! I rattled off the names and films. He didn't even know who David Carradine was. Can you believe it? I mean seriously, I couldn't believe it, can you? I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Sorry to sound like a broken record here.