Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help finding names of musicals/dancies I lost recordings of...!

Gunnarr

I am 25, and over the past five years I have discovered classic movies and have been... well... slightly addicted. I go to the TV guide on cable and record basically anything on TCM over 70-75% of users liking it. Doing this, basically I always have plenty of wonderful movies to watch! 

I recently had my cable box replaced and lost about 50 movies. I don't remember the names for most of them, because well... I never seen them before. I would recognize them if their names were in front of my face, but I cannot recall them without assistance.

Anyway, TCM doesn't let you view the old "schedule". So I wonder if there is anywhere on the internet that does keep this old schedule? Then I can go back and look for any names of movies I recognize as one I recorded.

In the least, I have been watching for the first time many musicals that aired on TCM in the past two-three months.  So far in my life I have watched (from recollection):

Funny Girl

Show Boat

Fiddler on the Roof

Meet Me in St. Louis

A Star is Born

The Harvey Girls

Babes in Toyland

A Funny Thing that happened on the way to the forum

Bells are Ringing

The Band Wagon

Easter Parade

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Top Hat

Cabin in the Sky

Calamity Jane

some bing cosby films...

(not in order, just ones I know I've seen...)

Recently I saw "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and that movie really makes me like singing and/or dancing in movies now. IDK if it counts as a musical. But I am now addicted to Cagney, and Astaire, any anyone really that dances and sings.  

I also play piano at an unskilled level, and own a songbook called "Best Loved Songs of the American People" by Denes Agay. It has a lot of music that, after I have learned, I now hear in these old movies! For example, I learned to play "Mighty Lak' a Rose", and then awhile later I was surprised to hear it in the movie "Night Must Fall". I learned to play "After the Ball" and "Old Man River" and finally heard it when I watched "Show Boat". It also has three songs from "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and the theme of "Toyland". 

When looking at my songbook, I recognize the name "The Band Played On", and I see this was used in the musical "The Strawberry Blonde", so I better look out for that. I also better look out for "The Red Mill", because the songbook has "Because you're you". I am pretty devastated, because a lot of these musicals I had recorded, I was certain would have songs that I know from this piano book.

I know I lost recordings of "Gold Diggers of 1933" and there was also another musical that had a "19XX" in it but I don't remember the name. I lost "Singing in the Rain", and I lost "Strike up the Band". Does anyone else know names for musicals they might have shown in the past few months? Or dancing type movies?

I really hope there is somewhere a list in chronological order, movies shown on TCM...

Sorry for this very long-winded post 

5 hours ago, Gunnarr said:

I am 25, and over the past five years I have discovered classic movies and have been... well... slightly addicted. I go to the TV guide on cable and record basically anything on TCM over 70-75% of users liking it. Doing this, basically I always have plenty of wonderful movies to watch! 

I recently had my cable box replaced and lost about 50 movies. I don't remember the names for most of them, because well... I never seen them before. I would recognize them if their names were in front of my face, but I cannot recall them without assistance.

Anyway, TCM doesn't let you view the old "schedule". So I wonder if there is anywhere on the internet that does keep this old schedule? Then I can go back and look for any names of movies I recognize as one I recorded.

In the least, I have been watching for the first time many musicals that aired on TCM in the past two-three months.  So far in my life I have watched (from recollection):

Funny Girl

Show Boat

Fiddler on the Roof

Meet Me in St. Louis

A Star is Born

The Harvey Girls

Babes in Toyland

A Funny Thing that happened on the way to the forum

Bells are Ringing

The Band Wagon

Easter Parade

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Top Hat

Cabin in the Sky

Calamity Jane

some bing cosby films...

(not in order, just ones I know I've seen...)

Recently I saw "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and that movie really makes me like singing and/or dancing in movies now. IDK if it counts as a musical. But I am now addicted to Cagney, and Astaire, any anyone really that dances and sings.  

I also play piano at an unskilled level, and own a songbook called "Best Loved Songs of the American People" by Denes Agay. It has a lot of music that, after I have learned, I now hear in these old movies! For example, I learned to play "Mighty Lak' a Rose", and then awhile later I was surprised to hear it in the movie "Night Must Fall". I learned to play "After the Ball" and "Old Man River" and finally heard it when I watched "Show Boat". It also has three songs from "Yankee Doodle Dandy", and the theme of "Toyland". 

When looking at my songbook, I recognize the name "The Band Played On", and I see this was used in the musical "The Strawberry Blonde", so I better look out for that. I also better look out for "The Red Mill", because the songbook has "Because you're you". I am pretty devastated, because a lot of these musicals I had recorded, I was certain would have songs that I know from this piano book.

I know I lost recordings of "Gold Diggers of 1933" and there was also another musical that had a "19XX" in it but I don't remember the name. I lost "Singing in the Rain", and I lost "Strike up the Band". Does anyone else know names for musicals they might have shown in the past few months? Or dancing type movies?

I really hope there is somewhere a list in chronological order, movies shown on TCM...

Sorry for this very long-winded post

TCM just recently had a months long musicals class, "Mad About Musicals" where they aired musicals all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  You may try and look in that subforum on the board to locate the schedule or see if you can find the list of films airing online by Googling "Mad About Musicals TCM" or something.  TCM's monthly highlights pages are usually still online even if they're no longer linked on the main page.  

Go to Off Topic Chit-Chat at the bottom of the forum. Look for TCM Schedules. It sometimes gets pushed back to the second page. TopBilled takes it back to 1/1/2013.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings