Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

Errol Flynn Westerns

So - finally had a chance to screen the new DVDs of *San Antonio* and *Montana*. Good fun. I think Flynn and Alexis Smith had good chemistry, and "Cuddles" is always fun to watch. Wasn't Smith a redhead in real life?

The only quibble (and a _very_ minor one at that) I guess is that these Westerns suffer a bit by comparison with the more realistic-looking Westerns that become common in the 50's and 60's, especially John Ford's. The rear-projection shots in *Montana* really don't look like they worked at it very hard, although I guess most viewers probably won't care or notice.

Really enjoyed *Rocky Mountain*, a great black-and-white western that (according to the audio commentary) marked Flynn's last western and the first film in Slim Pickens' career. The look and tone of the film is almost diametrically opposed to the candy-coloured *San Antonio* - although this one was also scored by Max Steiner (the audio commentary reminds us he scored 152 movies during his career).

Also of interest is the fact that Flynn went on to marry his co-star Patrice Wymore.

Next up: *Virginia City* B-)

I always had trouble buying Flynn as a western lawman/gunslinger, but I certainly think Dodge City is a very entertaining film. I haven't seen San Antonio in quite some time, but I remember liking it as well. And since I finally got to visit that city, it would be nice to see the film again. The Santa Fe Trail is packed with excitement, but the film seems like it's all over the place. Still, it's a kick to see Ronald Reagan as George Custer.

No, I don't think I've seen Rocky Mountain, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Virginia City and Silver River.

I just rented *Virginia City*, it's the last of the 4 new-to-DVD titles that just came out. But from what I've read, *Rocky Mountain* has always been a bit underappreciated. Or at least that's the way it feels to me.

Now that I'm almost done with the new DVD set it's soon going to be time to go back and revisit some of the older stuff (in terms of DVD availability anyway). I think I'll take another look at *They Died with their Boots On*. ;)

>I think I'll take another look at They Died with their Boots On.

I haven't seen that one in quite some time, but it is scheduled for November 25th.

I really enjoyed Silver River with Errol, Ann Sheridan, Thomas Mitchell, and Bruce Bennett. I've been waiting years to see Errol and Alexis in Montana. Can't wait to buy and watch it. Side note: I'm almost shocked Errol did not make the AFI's list of Top 25 Male Movie Stars of the Golden Era. He is the definition of a top box-office draw and huge star of that era. I'm perplexed at the omission.

I'm not familiar with the AFI's decision-making process, but I'm very disappointed to learn of the omission. Still, when you're an Errol Flynn fan, watching his movies is still the best reward. ;)

Finally got to watch *Virginia City*, the last of the titles on the DVD set that just came out, and I probably enjoyed it the best of the 4 movies. I know that it has sometimes been compared unfavorably to *Dodge City*, but in the context of the four EF westerns I've seen in the last week, it's the one that was most fun for me personally.

There seemed to be a bit more action and also some spectacular stunts (like the one where EF's character and his horse fall down a cliff) and the cast was also quite nice - although it's a bit weird to see Humphrey Bogart playing a Mexican bandit in a western. It's kind of a good thing he didn't continue being assigned to that kind of roles, imho. ;)

Didn't get to listen to much of the audio commentary, although it did mention something along the lines of Randolph Scott not quite sounding like a real southerner, even though he was one in real life (the guy who did the audio commentary also claims to be a southerner).

Film Fatale...I have been meaning to ask...Virginia City...is it a "wanna see" for my official list? You mentioned it was your fave from these in the set but when I read the synopsis in the database it did not really seem to stand out. Thought I would see if you wanted to "expound" a bit more??? :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Film Fatale...I have been meaning to ask...Virginia City...is it a "wanna see" for my official list? You mentioned it was your fave from these in the set but when I read the synopsis in the database it did not really seem to stand out. Thought I would see if you wanted to "expound" a bit more??? :-)

It may not be the greatest western Errol Flynn ever made, but I think it's certainly worthwhile if you've seen other EF westerns and enjoy him in this genre. How big an Errol Flynn fan are you? How many other westerns have you seen him in?

How big an Errol Flynn fan are you?

Not huge...but I only know him for the most part as a swashbucklin' or Merry Men kinda guy. I THINK I have seen They Died w/ Their Boots On (after looking at the pics in April's Gallery.But I am not sure and after doing some checking I put that on the list. Are there any of his other ones you'd recommend over Virginian City?

I'd say you might want to check *Dodge City* too - some people think it is a little better than *Virginia City*. But then, consider the cast of *Virginia City* as well: not only do you get Errol Flynn, but also Randolph Scott and Humphrey Bogart.

Humphrey Bogart

This may be bordering on heresy....but I have never been really huge on him either But the idea of seeing him play such a different sort of role is interesting. I will add both of those "cities" to my list. Thanks.

Don't forget... coming up at noon ET this Saturday...

*Dodge City* (1939)

A soldier of fortune takes on the corrupt boss of a Western town.

Cast: Bruce Cabot , Olivia de Havilland , Errol Flynn , Ann Sheridan Dir: Michael Curtiz C-104 mins, TV-PG

143542~Dodge-City-Posters.jpg

> {quote:title=ladyofshalott wrote:}{quote}

> Dodge City is my favorite of all Flynn's westerns. The cast is fantastic. The chemistry between Errol and Olivia is magical.

They were great together, I also love them in *The Adventures of Robin Hood*. :x

YES! I LOVED the Adventures of Robin Hood as well. The scene where he climbs up the side of the tower she is in and comes in the window....after they talk she says goodbye to him at the window...they kiss......It is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. She looks soo pretty with her hair in a long braid and he is soooo handsome..the look on his face....ahhhhhhh.

Another film they did together that I love is...Captain Blood.

I just got done watching Dodge City and before the film started the host was saying Errol used to mess up the scenes with Olivia on purpose, so the director would say...CUT... and he would have to kiss her all over again LOL...I thought that was cute.

In case anyone's interested, Dodge City will air again on TCM this Sunday, June 7, at 2pm ET as part of the tribute to director Michael Curtiz.

*Dodge City* (1939)

A soldier of fortune takes on the corrupt boss of a Western town.

Cast: Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Ann Sheridan, Bruce Cabot Dir: Michael Curtiz C-104 mins, TV-PG

DODGE CITY is good. Fun and light. But I really like two other Flynn westerns. SANTA FE TRAIL, a thrilling adventure. And the fascinating THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON. A very well written, character driven story.