Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

Errol Flynn Westerns

San Antonio is showing again on TCM tomorrow at 2pm ET. This is a good, fun western in great Technicolor:

*San Antonio`* (1945)

A reformed rustler tracks down a band of cattle thieves and tries to reform a crooked dance-hall girl.

Cast: Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, S. Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, Victor Francen Dir: David Butler C-109 mins, TV-PG

Olivia delivers one of her best performances in "They Died with their Boots On". Flynn is at his most dashing best as George Armstrong Custer.The film is so full of inaccuracies it's sad. But as a grand and exciting western you have to hand it to Raoul Welsh and company. The battle scenes are some of the best you'll see and the climax is beautifully shot.This was the eight and final film Olivia and Errol made together...

fred, I think your comments are right on target. Generally one can't expect much accuracy in the historic movies of the Golden Age, but at least we know they were usually just trying to make them entertaining.

And I'll just add to your compliments for Olivia de Havilland by saying that seeing her again in that just two days after TCM's special showing of Gone With the Wind (on its 70th anniversary) is a real treat. :D

Back in 1959 I was thumbing through our TV Guide and remarked to my very straight-laced mother that "some old Western movie called Dodge Citywas coming on. Her head came up from the oven so fast she nearly hit a cabinet. "When?" she asked and proceeded to describe the entire film to me-and this was after 20 years. You can bet we watched it-my first of I can't remember how many times. It and Errol Flynn were one of the few times we ever agreed on anything.

I was also impressed with the character of Abbie (Olivia de Havilland). She was pretty but not unbelievably so, smart, brave, and right in the middle of all the action. And she got the guy! For a thirteen year old this was quite a role model. I really like all the Flynn Westerns but for me this one is special.

Thank You! I also saw San Antonio today. That white dress Alexis Smith wears when she sings Some Sunday Morning is my number 3 movie costume of all time behind Elizabeth Taylor's dusty rose evening dress in Giant and Ava Gardner's teal and plaid dress in Showboat. That "cotton candy color" is just fine with me.

Now that I think about it, it is a nice dress. WB probably had the 2nd best wardrobe department, right after MGM.

It's a good thing the movie's in color, too, so Alexis' eyes can be seen in their full Technicolor glory. ;)