Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite TCM weekly showcase?

Guest Jagiello, James

Guest Jagiello, James

Is it "Silent Sunday Nights"? Or is it "Syncopation Station"? Or how about "Lone Star Cinema"? Or "Darkness After Dawn"? Or "TCM Essentials"? I'd like to know!

Guest Kilroy, Sean

I can't pick just one. It is really a toss up between Friday Night's TCM Import and Silent Sunday Nights. I don't know where they find these fabulous films or how they decide to feature them I just hope that they don't stop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest k, sandy

I'd have to go with Silent Sunday Nights, since so many silents are hard to find on video. But Syncopation Station would be a close second. Speaking of musicals, TCM Richard if you're out there, how about adding a musicals discussion? I tried to open a new discussion several times to no avail. We don't have any place to discuss all the great old musicals anymore! Sandy K

My favorite is one they have yet to actually come up with. I mean here's one I'd really like to see, but so far I haven't. I want a "Pre-Dawn pre-Code" daily time in the programing. Since they usually show the pre-Codes between midnight and 6:00 am, the "pre-Dawn pre-Code" would be a perfect title! It'd be movie heaven to have a daily (or even weekly) pre-Code movie! They wouldn't have to just show the big classics, even B-movies or lesser known ones would make me a happy camper.

Guest Marilyn

I second your programming wish wholeheartedly, Alix. That would be movie heaven for me too. It is kind of un-officially that way it seems. All my favorites are on well after midnight and before the crack of dawn. But, I will gladly take them anyway I can. Let's get a movement going to give this genre it's rightful due. They could include some transition films as well.

Thanks for the "second," Marilyn. Heck, I even gave them the perfect name for it too..."Pre-dawn Pre-Code." I think that since most transitional movies (1929-1930) fall under the pre-Code time period, they can be shown during this showcase too. I'd absolutely love it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest M., Daria

The "Silent Sunday Nights" is my favorite weekly showcase BY FAR. Silent films are my favorite movies of all time; TCM NEEDS to have "silent films" as their Theme of the Month sometime, VERY SOON!, so that these wonderful early children of the cinema that entertained our parents and grandparents may come to be enjoyed and appreciated by further generations

Guest K, Sandy

I noticed that next month TCM is not showing any of their weekly showcases due to their "30 Days of Oscar" theme. I hope that all these showcases will be back in April. Did they do this last year? I didn't have TCM back then. Sandy K

• 1 month later...
Guest Mendoza, Jose

My favorite night is always Friday. International film night, or TCM Import. There's a whole world of movies out there. Thanks TCM.

Guest Blake, Michael

I vote for Silent Sunday Nights! No other cable channel offers a steady diet of silent films like TCM, bless them! The chance to see silent films I have never seen before or seeing stuff I already have on a weekly basis is a film buff's dream.

• 2 months later...
Guest Dentata, Gina

I never miss "The Essentials," and I'm fond of noir, so I try to catch "Darkness After Dawn" if I wake up early enough. But the biggest revelation to me has been "Lone Star Cinema." I thought all Westerns sucked, but they consistently find good ones, like Stagecoach and Colorado Territory.

Guest Reggatta

I agree wholeheartedly! I wonder if the fans of "Sunday Silents" would be interested in doing a chat once a month or so to discuss the movies we've seen that month?

Guest Duffy, Mike

I like all of the showcases. However, would like to see a showcase for poverty-row or zero-budget classics. Recently TCM ran "The Mysterious Mr. Wong". It was a real hoot. Terrible dialogue and direction and great fun to watch. It was an old MONOGRAM with a real cheesey opening logo. Like to see more of these clunckers.

Guest Alix

Great idea, Mike. I think TCM has some mistaken idea that they must always show the good stuff. I say, just show something new! We'll watch it, and probably enjoy it, even if it is a dog of a movie. Heck, how many of us spend $7.00+ to see movies today that certainly are NOT classics?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jagiello, James

I would like to see another added to the weekly menu--a slot, preferably on weekend afternoons or early evenings--devoted to family films. The fact that the Powerpuff Girls joined Robert Osborne for "The Wizard of Oz" might entice TCM to consider this.

Guest Dentata, Gina

I wouldn't pin my hopes on such flimsy evidence. The Power Puff girls were on because their movie was released that weekend, and it's a Warner Bros. release, and TCM is part of the AOL/Time-Warner empire. Their appearance was merely a symptom of "synergy," the scourge of our too-few-owners media landscape.

• 3 months later...
Guest Sventon, Argus

I think they should announce the One Reel Wonders ahead of time. They're my favorite part of TCM. We got to see an Educational Pictures short tonight. Educational Pictures opening titles are neat, as the main logo for Educational Pictures appears at the end of the opening credits, not before them.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

We-eeel, ya see, I think they don't bother because it would add a lot to their expenses. They'd have to do a complete overhaul of their back-end database. I don't know if you've noticed, but the recent re-design has wreaked havoc on the schedule, which runs 6 am to 6 am, as opposed to the new schedule which runs on your usual midnight-midnight. In other words, Monday's late-night offerings now show up on Tuesday's schedule. TCM doesn't list shorts as a genre, and the shorts they do have are sorta barely listed, but then a lot of titlesshort and longlook like they're waiting for additional data entry. Maybe later.