Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any fans of the Coen Bros.?

Trailer for their new movie "Burn After Reading" http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2212167961/

looks like fun, great cast: Clooney, Macdormand, Malkovich and Brad Pitt as an 'idiot' (no jokes, please)

Their movies are always creative, unusual and pretty important nowadays--ORIGIINAL

They include: Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Fargo, Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and No Country For Old Men.

TCM bio here:http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant/participant.jsp?participantId=36198|174373&afiPersonalNameId=null (don't know why that didn't work)

Wiki bio here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coen_Brothers

Just wondered if there were any other fans here?

Message was edited by: mr6666

How can you not love them, especially after they made a movie with the title of a movie-within-a-movie in Preston Sturges' *Sullivan's Travels* ? B-)

I'm really lookin' forward to *Burn After Reading*. I like the Coen Bros. better when they're not so darn serious (like in their last movie).

Dude!

I love the Coen brothers. *The Big L* is one of my favorites (and a great LA film that truly uses the city background), *Raising Arizona*, *Millers Crossing*, *Barton Fink*, *Hudsucker Proxy* even *No Country* but my hands down favorite is *O Brother*.

George Clooney channels Clark Gable, wonderful homages to classic films and classic myths, two great side-kicks, the wonderful Holly Hunter "bona fides" and an amazing soundtrack. Oh, and did I mention John Goodman and Charles Durning (especially with his little dance)!

I would be in heaven if TCM ran a chain gang theme that featured chain gang films from *I'm a Fugitive* to *O Brother!*

I love this film!

*I love the The Coen brothers. I have seen every film they ever made, & own most of them.*

*I was so lucky in 2001 I got to meet The Coen brothers at the Denver Film Festival when they were both there to promote, & do a Q&A about the film: "_The Man Who Wasn't There_"!*

*My all time favorite films of The Coen brothers are: _Raising Arizona_ (Which was filmed here in Phoenix, Az!)... _No Country for Old Men_ ......_The Hudsucker Proxy_ ..... _Blood Simple_ ..._Fargo_!!!*

*I can't wait for there new films: _Burn After Reading_ & _Hail Caesar_!*

*The only film I never cared for was: _Intolerable Cruelty_*

*The 1 film of there's that was so Under-Rated: _The Ladykillers_.*

*If U haven't seen the film "_Crimewave_" (They wrote the screenplay) & you if like film Noir, you will love this. Bruce Campbell gives a great preformance!*

*_Filmography :_*

Blood Simple (1984)

Crimewave (1984)

Raising Arizona (1987)

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Barton Fink (1991)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Fargo (1996)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)

The Ladykillers (2004)

Paris, je t'aime (2006) - segment: "Tuileries"

No Country for Old Men (2007)

To Each His Own Cinema (2007) - segment: "TBA"

Burn After Reading (2008)

A Serious Man (TBA)

Hail Caesar (TBA)

*Joel and Ethan Coen as writer*:

Crimewave (Sam Raimi, 1985) also known as Broken Hearts and Noses, also known as The XYZ Murders

*Ethan Coen as writer:*

The Naked Man (J. Todd Anderson, 1998)

*Joel Coen as assistant editor:*

The Evil Dead (Sam Raimi, 1982) also known as Book of the Dead

Fear No Evil (Frank Laloggia, 1981) also known as Mark of the Beast

*Joel Coen as actor:*

Spies Like Us (John Landis, 1985)

Crimewave (Sam Raimi, 1985) uncredited; also known as Broken Hearts and Noses, also known as The XYZ Murders

*_Other works:_*

_Crimewave_ - 1985 film written by the Coen Brothers and Sam Raimi, directed by Sam Raimi

_Romance & Cigarettes_ - 2006 film produced by the Coen Brothers and written and directed by John Turturro

_Gates of Eden_ - a collection of short stories written by Ethan Coen

_Bad Santa_ - This film with Billy Bob Thornton was produced by the Coen Brothers.

_Suburbicon_ - George Clooney will be directing a script written by the Coen Brothers. The Coens will also be producing.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> George Clooney channels Clark Gable, wonderful homages to classic films and classic myths, two great side-kicks, the wonderful Holly Hunter "bona fides" and an amazing soundtrack. Oh, and did I mention John Goodman and Charles Durning (especially with his little dance)!

>

On a small side note, I wonder if George Clooney was going for a similar effect with his own effort, *Leatherheads*. It seemed like he wanted to recreate a screwball comedy or something.

There movies are a little hit & miss with me. I haven't seen all of them but I'm quite fond of Raising Arizona & Oh Brother, Where art Thou and have watched both several times. I've also seen Fargo, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink and The Ladykillers but only once for each film. I know The Big Lebowski is a cult favorite but I just couldn't get interested in it and turned it off about 1/2 way through but it was while I was on a train trip back from a vacation and I was tired so maybe I'll try again to watch it.

The thing about Coen films is that while the characters may be people on the fringe of society, they always are articulate and philosophical. They do make interesting films and they are original. They don't get near the credit they deserve.

Loved Raising Arizona (one of my top 10 movies ever)! There are sequences that make me laugh everytime I see them: The "kidnapping" scene, with runaway babies all over the nursery (one shot is later echoed as Smalls pulls H I out from under a car to finish beating the living daylights out of him; the convenience store robbery chase where H Iends up with a deranged clerk, several dogs and the police chasing him all over the neighborhood, through a grocery store and peoples' houses. Ed picks him up and they're arguing and in between he inserts directions to the place where he dropped the Huggies. (can't forget the Huggies)

Favorite lines:

"Turn to the right!"

"I found myself driving past convenience stores... that weren't on the way home"

"You get back up there and get me a toddler!"

"Son, you got a pantie on your head."

"Hang on Nathan Jr. We're gonna go get Daddy."

"You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin' Donuts, call a cop."

"The sun does not rise and set on the corner grocery."

And the entire final dream sequence where HI describes a trailer park paradise and ends it with, "I don't know. Maybe it's Utah."

I also liked Fargo and O Brother Where Art Thou? and I am eagerly looking forward to Burn After Reading.

*Pitt plays dumb in Coens' 'Burn After Reading'*

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer 2 hours, 58 minutes ago

TORONTO - Brad Pitt has wanted to work with the Coen brothers for ages. Then he got wind of the birdbrain they had written for him to play.

"I've been knocking on the brothers' door for a few years, so I was really happy when they called me," Pitt told reporters at the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday, a day after Joel and Ethan Coen's comedy "Burn After Reading" premiered there.

"Until I read the piece, and I was real upset," Pitt jokingly added.

Pitt's character, an ignoramus in way over his head on a blackmail scheme, is among a gaggle of boneheads caroming about in "Burn After Reading," whose cast includes his and the Coens' frequent collaborator George Clooney, plus John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins and Joel Coen's wife, Frances McDormand.

Opening in theaters Friday, the movie casts Pitt and McDormand as fitness trainers who stumble on a disc containing classified documents and try to extort cash from the ex-CIA analyst (Malkovich) who was the origin of the leaked data.

Pitt plays the goof to the hilt, his character's inept attempts at cloak-and-dagger intrigue providing some of the movie's biggest laughs.

"The leading man role is usually the guy who's got the answers, figures things out and defuses the bomb within seconds and is always experienced. And all of that's pretty good for the ego sometimes. But it's more fun playing guys who make the wrong choices, have limited experience and make presumptions," Pitt said.

Wearing fitness club shorts and T-shirt, with his hair teased into a puffy tower with a blond streak, Pitt also toyed with his movie star looks in "Burn After Reading."

"We had kind of a competition going on the set as to who had the most ridiculous hair, and I think you may have won, Brad," co-star Swinton, whose character has a strange, swirled hairdo herself, said at a festival news conference alongside Pitt, the Coens and Malkovich.

"We were all going in for that Javier Bardem prize," Swinton said, referring to the odd page-boy hairdo Bardem wore in last year's Coen brothers crime thriller, "No Country for Old Men."

In an interview with The Associated Press a day earlier, the Coens said Pitt's hairdo was a happy accident. Ethan Coen said they had figured that as a gymnasium worker, the character might have a crew cut.

"Just by accident, Brad had done a commercial or photo shoot or something where his hair had been streaked, and he went in for a fitting for wardrobe for this with this kind of leftover hair, so we went, `Oh, how about that?'" Ethan Coen said.

Pitt has tended toward action and drama, including "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," a tale due out late this year adapted from an F. Scott Fitzgerald story about a man who ages backward from old age toward infancy.

Aiming for laughs with "Burn After Reading" did not seem out of place to Pitt, though.

"I feel I've been doing comedies for years, but maybe they weren't so funny," Pitt said.

Pitt, who has worked with Clooney on "Ocean's Eleven" and its two sequels, was asked if he might work again with romantic partner Angelina Jolie. Their relationship began after they co-starred in the action hit "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."

"Angie and I, we're working together everyday, I can guarantee," Pitt said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080906/ap_on_en_mo/people_brad_pitt

"Blood Simple" "Miller's Crossing" "No Country for Old Men" are some of their films I've seen. I strongly resisted even seeing "Fargo" but at the urging of friends (who also urged me to see "The Shawshank Redemption") I finally relented and saw the damned movie.

I...was...blown...a-way by "Fargo." McDormand gave a wonderful performance. I should have never resisted, though I really do NOT want to see "O Brother Where Art Thou."

Guess I'll put "Burn After Reading" on my list for next week.

And "Shawshank..." is one of my favorites though I have to be in the mood for its sturm und drang.

I love the lines at the end of _Fargo_ (1996):

Marge Gunderson: So that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.

Every time I here these lines they send a shiver up my spine. They say so much in so little time!

Watched the 10th anniversary edition of *The Big Lebowski* last night. I'm definitely not among those who regard it as a great cult classic, to me it's just a relatively minor (albeit still enjoyable) Coen movie, with very enjoyable performances (which is probably explained by the fact that the Coens wrote nearly all main parts with those actors in mind).

*"_Burn After Reading_" is the third Coen brothers film for George Clooney ("_O Brother, Where Art Thou?_" and "_Intolerable Cruelty_"). Usually playing a fool in their movies, the Coens jokingly call the three films Clooney's Trilogy of Idiots.*

I LOVED "Burn After Reading"..!! A+! A film I will see again this weekend! The Coen brothers have done it again!

I watched *Burn After Reading* yesterday, and overall enjoyed it a lot. I won't go into much details just yet lest I accidentally spoil anything for anyone, but I think it's safe to say most Coen fans should have a great time.

And yes, as many have pointed out in would be much closer in spirit to *The Big Lebowski* than their more "serious" movies. The cast certainly looks like they had a blast just making the movie.

Is the director's cut of Blood Simple higher quality? The last time I saw Blood Simple was on VHS and it was so grainy it was hard to watch....

I saw "Burn" yesterday, and enjoyed myself very much. I would suggest it is a small movie, expertly made. There are no real set pieces like in some of the other Coen Bros. movies, but I think that is also part of the charm of the film- the story has the emphasis here. It is another satire on the ridiculousness of American society, but highly entertaining. Brad Pitt is a riot, and really steals the show. All the other players are excellent, as well, and perform with an earnestness that is great to see in real comedy. In some ways this is the most down to earth of the Coen Bros. movies. Except for the ridiculous situations, you could see people behaving this way in real life. Maybe that's what I love about the Bros. - the fact that all of their movies deal with just plain, normal (?) people confronted with the topsy turvy scary lovely world we live in.

_Blood Simple_ (1985) "The Director's Cut" is a very good copy...not scratches or pops!

Only problem, no extras!!!

Unusually for such an exercise it is some three minutes shorter than the original theatrical release. The Coens shortened the film by tightening the editing, shortening some shots and removing others altogether. In addition, they resolved longstanding rights issues with the music: the original theatrical version of the film made prominent use of The Four Tops' "_It's the Same Old Song_", but this had to be replaced with Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer" (made famous by The Monkees' cover) for the US home video edition (though not for international video versions). The "directors' cut" reinstated the Four Tops track, as the Coens had always intended.