Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any fans of the Coen Bros.?

"Every time I here these lines they send a shiver up my spine."

That's what Fargo achieved that Burn After Reading doesn't. There is horror like in Fargo, people being murdered, but in the case of Burn After Reading even the murders got laughs in the theater. I don't feel that the story (writing) was in the same league with the Hitchcock styled Fargo.

I was disappointed in Burn After Reading as well. Some laughs but not many. Thought the script just wasnt there. I havent seen all their films, but this one definitely is not near the top of the ones I have seen........I dont really like a lot of their mean spirited humor..........

One bright spot in the movie was Brad Pitt. I never really thought much about his abilities other then his celebrity but I was impressed with his style in this movie. I think he delivered some of the funniest lines and created an interesting character. Unfortunately the lack of disturbing horror to balance the humor was sadly lacking.

> {quote:title=Stephen444 wrote:}{quote}

> One bright spot in the movie was Brad Pitt. I never really thought much about his abilities other then his celebrity but I was impressed with his style in this movie. I think he delivered some of the funniest lines and created an interesting character. Unfortunately the lack of disturbing horror to balance the humor was sadly lacking.

I don't think the Coen brothers intended the movie to have any horror to begin with. To me it's a black comedy through and through.

I would agree, FF. They go through cycles- a small comedy here, a big shocker there, an offbeat mystery next...

While Burn After Reading is not on the scale of Fargo, it is still worth watching. I consider it a sort of Ealing comedy... in the same vein as The Lavender Hill Mob, or The Man in the White Suit.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I would agree, FF. They go through cycles- a small comedy here, a big shocker there, an offbeat mystery next...

>

> While Burn After Reading is not on the scale of Fargo, it is still worth watching. I consider it a sort of Ealing comedy... in the same vein as The Lavender Hill Mob, or The Man in the White Suit.

imho, it's one of the smartest thing filmmakers can do - try different genres and different types of movies, instead of getting stuck doing the same kind of thing over and over, often with diminishing returns. Going to a Coen Bros. film means you've absolutely no reason to expect their new movie is going to have much in common with their previous effort, except of course a high degree of filmmaking expertise. ;)

>mho, it's one of the smartest thing filmmakers can do - try different genres and different types of movies, instead of getting stuck doing the same kind of thing over and over, often with diminishing returns.

Yeah, well I'm glad Hitchcock did the same thing over and over again. He use to refer to that which motivated the characters in his movies the Mcguffin. He didn't think that this was too important it was just the particular circumstances that caused people to act (no pun intended) the way they did in his movies. I think that Fargo possesses this element. I can follow the motivation of the characters but I really couldn't empathize with the characters in Burn After Reading. There was humor but no interesting mcguffins organizing and motivating their actions.

Well, some filmmakers do their best work by constantly finding new genres to experiment with, while others are always going to be at their best within a given genre. And as far as modern filmmakers go, I think a so-so Coen Bros. movie is almost guaranteed to be far more entertaining than the average Hollywood movie that's got nothing but marketing going for it.

>I think a so-so Coen Bros. movie is almost guaranteed to be far more entertaining than the average Hollywood movie that's got nothing but marketing going for it.

Agreed!

I am making my comments about the Coen Brothers because I think their films are interesting and worth discussing.

Today's films are judged in the media by how much money they make. When movies are discussed it is usually about how much money they make. Like in Spaceballs when Mel Brooks refers to merchandising..now that's where the real money is!

I wouldn't say I am a avid fan, but the movies I have seen I really liked.

FARGO - Frances M. is fabulous. Her relationship with her husband is so sweet.

The line that cracks me up in a macabre sort of way "Did you put your friend in the

woodchipper?"

HUDSUCKER PROXY - Paul Baby(adore him) and J.J. Leigh is very glamorous.

BLOOD SIMPLE - M.Emmet Walsh steals the film, in my opinion.

OH, BROTHER....Clever the way they work in the "Odyssy" situations. I bought the

soundtrack immediately.

THE BIG LIBOWSKI & RAISING ARIZONA - My son highly reccommends them. Should

I take a chance? He has a copy of both.

My all time favorite films of The Coen brothers are:

_Raising Arizona_ (Which was filmed here in Phoenix, Az!)... _No Country for Old Men_ ......_The Hudsucker Proxy_ ..... _Blood Simple_ ..._Fargo_ & _Crimewave_.

The only film I never cared for was: _Intolerable Cruelty_

The 1 Coen Brothers film that was so Under-Rated: _The Ladykillers_. The only film that I actually liked Tom Hanks in.

If U haven't seen the film "_Crimewave_" (They wrote the screenplay) & you if like film Noir, you will love this. Bruce Campbell gives a great preformance!

_*Filmography* :_

Blood Simple (1984)

Crimewave (1984)

Raising Arizona (1987)

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Barton Fink (1991)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Fargo (1996)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)

The Ladykillers (2004)

Paris, je t'aime (2006) - segment: "Tuileries"

No Country for Old Men (2007)

To Each His Own Cinema (2007) - segment: "TBA"

Burn After Reading (2008)

A Serious Man (TBA)

Hail Caesar (TBA)

_*Joel and Ethan Coen as writer:_*

_Crimewave_ (Sam Raimi, 1985) also known as Broken Hearts and Noses, also known as The XYZ Murders

*_Ethan Coen as writer:_*

_The Naked Man_ (J. Todd Anderson, 1998)

*_Joel Coen as assistant editor:_*

_The Evil Dead_ (Sam Raimi, 1982) also known as Book of the Dead

_Fear No Evil_ (Frank Laloggia, 1981) also known as Mark of the Beast

*_Joel Coen as actor:_*

_Spies Like Us_ (John Landis, 1985)

_Crimewave_ (Sam Raimi, 1985) uncredited; also known as Broken Hearts and Noses, also known as The XYZ Murders

*_Other works:_*

_Crimewave_ - 1985 film written by the Coen Brothers and Sam Raimi, directed by Sam Raimi

_Romance & Cigarettes_ - 2006 film produced by the Coen Brothers and written and directed by John Turturro

_Gates of Eden_ - a collection of short stories written by Ethan Coen

_Bad Santa_ - This film with Billy Bob Thornton was produced by the Coen Brothers.

_Suburbicon_ - George Clooney will be directing a script written by the Coen Brothers. The Coens will also be producing.

OH, good gosh. I haven't seen the new movie yet, although I will soon.

CK, I also attended a "Q&A" in NY, I believe for "The Man Who Wasn't There". Talk about a plot wherein "nothing good comes when good people do bad things". That movie could be renamed "Everybody, Just Die Already!" The whole Scarlett Johansson subplot came from "left field". Memorable scene in the car. Not one of their better, but I like them all.

WHY?

Because other than that "Coen thing", you never really know quite what you are getting into.

I had seen their first three......"Blood Simple", "Raising Arizona", and "Millers Crossing", and realized I was looking at something pretty unique in American film.

But nothing, and I mean nothing could have prepared me for "Barton Fink".

A bizarre spoof on old Hollywood and NY theater writers and caricatured 30's movie types.Yet..., there is something pretty profound being said. As self important Barton descends into "Hell On Earth", his only escape comes from listening to everyday schmucks that he has incorrectly assumed he is somehow superior to, and in fact :D , foolishly believes he speaks for!

The Europeans loved it, but I doubt it did very well over here. I find something new in that film everytime I view it. It is just so layered. And all the layers are just so textured.

It's an amazing achievement, but absolutely not for everyone. A little on the "broodingly cerebral" side, but I liked that kind of thing at the time, and it stayed with me.

Then came "Hudsucker", and once again, the Coens "time warp" us back to old Hollywood, only this time in feel, not plot. Jennifer Jason Leigh morphs out of her Dorothy Parker "Round Table" role, and twists it into "Stanwyk/Russell/ Arthur". Tim Robbins has the unenviable task of blending Frank Capras "Stewart/Cooper" with Arthur Lake. Laughs?

How about that scene where Robbins is doing the "Muncey Fight Song" while our not so good heroine 'fakes' that she knows the hand movements?

OR......."Plexiglass.........."

Fargo? What else is to say? It works equally well as a comedy or a crime caper.

I'm talking too long again, I'll wrap it up.

I'm glad there are others out there that "get" the Coens, and I mean fully. They are apparently an acquired taste. I haven't seen the new one yet, but I know I'll enjoy it.

I also enjoyed "The Ladykillers", "Lebowski", and "No Country".

In fact, I could talk for hours about "No Country", and "Fink", for that matter.

Nobody here likes "Barton Fink"? Not even Michael Lerners big Jewish studio chief?

I'm surprised. Such an all out spoof of classic era Hollywood types.

I met the The Coen brothers 2 times. Both at the Denver Film Festival. Once was for "_The Man Who Wasn't There_". I really didn't care for this film. I will have to go back and look at it.

& the 2nd time was when they brought the Director's Cut of _Blood Simple_ back onto the big screen.

Both times they did a Q&A W./athe audience. Very nice guys. Very open and friendly.

It's so funny, but both brothers finish eath others sentences.

".....It's so funny, but both brothers finish each others sentences.......

:-)

It kind of makes sense that they both write and direct, but won't really say who did what!

Must be fascinating living out their collective dream together. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it feels like that "twin" kind of feeling.

> {quote:title=mickeeteeze wrote:}{quote}

> Nobody here likes "Barton Fink"? Not even Michael Lerners big Jewish studio chief?

> I'm surprised. Such an all out spoof of classic era Hollywood types.

I loved *Barton Fink*, but I haven't seen it again since it opened in theaters.

Yes, dear lady, you owe it to yourself to own the DVD. For me, this is one of those "once a year", roughly, films. It gets better every time!

It took me about 2-3 times to not be dismissive of self absorbed Barton, and empathize with him.

After all, he is just a dopey sap caught up in something bigger than himself.....LIFE!!

He only thinks he's smarter than everyone.....proof of how dopey he really is!

Up until that point, I mostly related to Goodmans "Madman Muntz", the tales 'pseudo-everyman'.

YIKES!

:D

A little youtube "reminder"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqh1cXu-vck&feature=related

Message was edited by: mickeeteeze

Barton Fink is my head's down favorite Coen Bros. movie.

Mickee- I loved your "ramble" on why you like the Coens, it was certainly not too long!

I feel the same- lately, I only like movies that can take me somewhere I haven't been before. The Coens consistently do this. I enjoy the "edge of your seat" feeling I get when watching one of their films. Burn After Reading was not the greatest movie ever made, but I never once looked at my watch or knew what was coming next. That's what I want in a movie.....

> {quote:title=mickeeteeze wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, dear lady, you owe it to yourself to own the DVD. For me, this is one of those "once a year", roughly, films. It gets better every time!

I'll wait for the Blu-Ray, that way I don't have to buy a DVD and then trade it in for a BR. ;)

"Barton Fink is my head's down favorite Coen Bros. movie."

Yeah, me too. It is probably, hands down, their most ambitious film. Interestingly enough, it probably didn't seem that way for them. I believe this film flowed out of them while they were experiencing "creativity block" during some stage of "Millers Crossing".

I also have to admit I didn't fully grasp the "writers block is hell" aspect upon first viewing. I mean, I understood the basic outline, but the cinematography, story arc and all of that jazz blew me away so much, I missed some things.

"......lately, I only like movies that can take me somewhere I haven't been before. The Coens consistently do this. I enjoy the "edge of your seat" feeling I get when watching one of their films...."

Again, yes. Two friends and I saw a sneak preview of "Fargo" just before it opened. One was not a real movie buff. I knew nothing of what to expect, comedy, suspense, and so on. All's I knew was Frances played a pregnant detective in the northern mid-west. When we got out of the theater(I think the Lincoln up by the late 60's near Broadway), the non movie buff friend turned to me with a disgusted look on his face, and said, "What in the F.. was that!!!????

At that point I knew it was every bit as good as I thought it was.

:D

They take old genre's and make them new and fresh.