Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any fans of the Coen Bros.?

Brolin's Mannix is actually depicted as more the studio head than just a "fixer" in this film, Tom. He's in charge of much of the decision making at 'Capitol Pictures', although he does take orders over the phone from a never-seen NYC-based financier. 

• Like 1

Just returned from seeing HAIL, CAESAR, and yes, I dare say anyone who frequents this website because of their passion for classic film will most definitely appreciate this send-up of the postwar Hollywood studio system, and will probably end up laughing throughout the movie as much as I did.

What is especially exceptional is that just as in the movies of old, even every bit part is played to the hilt by the entire ensemble cast.

(...Loved it and highly recommended...especially as I said, to you folks around here)

Thanks for the recommend, Dargo.  I keep hearing about this movie and I wondered if it would also appeal to people like us who are regulars here, and are a little bit rabid in our love of the classics.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommend, Dargo.  I keep hearing about this movie and I wondered if it would also appeal to people like us who are regulars here, and are a little bit rabid in our love of the classics.

I believe it definitely will, Eugenia. Besides this film expertly recreating the era with correct set designs, fashions and hairstyles, there are a number of old Hollywood references in it, and in fact with one tangential storyline in the plot making use of an old Hollywood scandal involving...well...I won't spoil it for you, but I know once you see this film you'll know what I'm talking about here.

Just returned from seeing HAIL, CAESAR, and yes, I dare say anyone who frequents this website because of their passion for classic film will most definitely appreciate this send-up of the postwar Hollywood studio system, and will probably end up laughing throughout the movie as much as I did.

What is especially exceptional is that just as in the movies of old, even every bit part is played to the hilt by the entire ensemble cast.

(...Loved it and highly recommended...especially as I said, to you folks around here)

Thanks for the update, Dargo. We are planning on seeing this movie later today and it sounds like it is going to at least meet if not exceed our expectations.

Thanks for the update, Dargo. We are planning on seeing this movie later today and it sounds like it is going to at least meet if not exceed our expectations.

I went to see HAIL CAESER! today, and I would rate the film 4 stars. Josh Brolin as Eddie Mannix has the most screen time, and he is most deserving. The Coen Brothers know how to write, and a four months ago their screenplay for BRIDGE OF SPIES 2015 which they cowrote with another screenwriter was released. A review I read mentioned how dazzling the Technicolor looked including the flesh tones and costumes. Frances McDormand (Joel Coen`s wife) has a hilarious bit as a film editor supposedly based on longtime MGM editor Margaret Booth. Hilarious movie and highly recommended!

Just to show you how current I am with my 21st Century film viewings, I just saw O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? for the first time, and really enjoyed this odd ball combination of Homer's Odyssey, Three Stooges humour and bluegrass music.

Touched I was by the poignancy of the scene in which the one of the boys (Tim Blake Nelson) believed that sirens had turned missing cohort John Turtorro into a h o r n y toad (actually he was a frog). Lots of wonderful bits of, at times, bizarre and crazy humour. Part of the charm of the production for me was the feeling that this film was just kind of strung together and, by some kind of miracle of direction, writing and performances, it all somehow works.

The Coens even had the nerve to poke fun at the Klan for humorous effect (shades of Mel Brooks and Springtime for Hitler), and, yes, they even have their tribute to Preston Sturges here, as well.

Movie star handsome George Clooney (which, by the way, is exactly what he is) is an inspired nut in this film with a great flare for comedy, both physically, as well as verbally. A great part of his appeal is that he doesn't take himself seriously and fully invests himself in the craziness of the humour. His performance is a key part of why this film worked so well for me.

A most enjoyable film, one that I will unquestionably revisit one day.

• Like 3

FYI.....

"We Combined All the Coen Brothers Rankings

--Changing assessments reveal how the Coens canon is shifting."

Here are the results:
1. "Fargo"
2. "Raising Arizona"
3. "No Country for Old Men"
4. "Blood Simple"
5. "Barton Fink"
6. "Miller’s Crossing"
7. "Inside Llewyn Davis"
8. "The Big Lebowski"
9. "A Serious Man"
10. "The Man Who Wasn’t There"
11. "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
12. "Hail, Caesar!"
13. "True Grit"
14. "The Hudsucker Proxy"
15. "Burn After Reading"
16. "Intolerable Cruelty"

17. "The Ladykillers"

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/we-combined-all-the-coen-brothers-rankings-20160208?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=IW_post

• Like 2

Thanks for the listing.  I'm not a true fan since I didn't know who was directing a number of these films.

But I do enjoy a number of them, especially Fargo, The Big Lebowaski and No Country for Old Men.  I think the dialogue and acting are better than the plot or story lines.

Just saw "O Brother, Where Art Thou" a year or so ago and was pleasantly surprised.

And the more I watch "The Hudsucker Proxy", the more I enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Any noir fans should see both BLOOD SIMPLE and THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE.

I saw them both, many years ago when they were first released. Great films, both. I liked the B&W photography on TMWWT  Another one I like is Miller's Crossing, an interesting take on the gangster genre. 

• Like 1