Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last minute heads up - Man's Castle

phiz50

I just noticed that the running time for Man's Castle, which is premiering on TCM this evening, is 74-75 minutes in a 75 minute time slot. For folks like me, who have eagerly awaited this moment, I suggest adding 5 or 10 minutes to their recording so as not to have the ending cut off.

RO's introduction will last longer than a minute.

Also Dark Horse is showing again on 9/03 and runs 75 minutes in 75 minute slot. For those taping, caution would be in order.

Sorry for the short notice.

Very appropriate warning.Sometimes their films begin on the 15min mark and run over into

the next one-hour increment. That causes my DVR to cutoff the end by 15min if I havent specified to run over. TCM doesnt do that as often as they used to. Perhaps other DVR owners have spoken up about the problem. Another aggravating situation is when I want to record two programs on TCM in A ROW. What happens then is a flashing clock graphic that

becomes part of my recording! TCM programmers: Dont forget to put "empty" space before and after the feature so our DVR's can't screw up our recordings with unwanted icons or cutoffs.

Was anyone else out there disappointed in the quality of the print for Man's Castle" or was it a problem with my reception? I had a "bootleg" copy of this movie but hoped to pitch it once I taped it off TCM. The picture quality while viewing on TCM wasn't any better than the quality of my bootleg print.

It's better than my bootleg copy, but not by much. lots of fog and soft-focus makes it look

less-sharp too. TCM probably has to take what Columbia/Sony supplies to them.

Turner prints look like some have been digitally restored to like-new. Apparently,

no exec at Sony thinks it's worth doing the same for THEIR films. I'd like to see the three

Harlow films that Columbia made (or is Sat Nite Kid a Columbia too?) UCLA has a

new print of Goldie 1931, not sure about "Three Wise Girls". "Platinum Blonde" has been shown

on TCM. Wish they'd show it again.

Goldie is a Fox film so chances that it would ever be shown on TCM are dismal to none. Once in a great while TCM will show a Fox film (ie. Up The River, Judge Priest) but very very rarely. Even the Fox Movie Channel rarely shows movies from the pre 20th Century Fox era. When they do it's in the wee morning hours. UCLA restored Goldie in the early 1990's and I saw a pristine print of it at a Film Forum pre code festival in 12/06 in NYC.

Someone here on the message boards in another thread recently mentioned that they heard Three Wise Girls will be released on a DVD set with two or three other Columbia pre codes in either late 2008 or 2009. I'm not sure of this but if it's true I'll be one of the first in line for it. I'll try to search thru these threads to see if I can locate the statement and the person who wrote it.

Platinum Blonde is shown once in a while on TCM. In fact I believe it's on the November schedule.

Just looked up *Three Wise Girls* , since it was a title I never heard of....No reviews on IMDB even! Jean Harlow, and Mae Clarke??? Now that sounds like a film that grouped with the others would make a great Pre Code set for Sony/Columbia. I sure hope that's true!

I found the thread regarding "Three Wise Girls"; it's in the Forum category "Your Favorites" in the section "Jean Harlow fans". On 8/22/08 "Harlowrocks" mentioned that they were told by Mike Schlesinger from Sony Home Video that they'll likely be releasing "Three Wise Girls" as part of a pre code boxset they're planning for next year.

I sure hope this is true. I've been requesting TCM programmers to show this film for years with no response. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

I also have Man's Castle on DVD and VHS. The DVD is much better quality. I don't recall who I got it from. Fox ought to restore it and re-release it. They surely have the money. Martin Scorsese calls Man's Castle one of the best Depression films of the 1930's. In fact, the NY Times gave it a great review when it came out..... I am giving a lecture about it in December....

> {quote:title=smokey15 wrote:}{quote}

> I found the thread regarding "Three Wise Girls"; it's in the Forum category "Your Favorites" in the section "Jean Harlow fans". On 8/22/08 "Harlowrocks" mentioned that they were told by Mike Schlesinger from Sony Home Video that they'll likely be releasing "Three Wise Girls" as part of a pre code boxset they're planning for next year.

If Mike said it, I'd be pretty sure it happens unless it gets overruled somewhere up the line. Mike's been a mensch about precodes. I just wish it'd come out sooner, but I've been patient before, and we have been getting some decent Columbia stuff to watch on TCM.

Archived