Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #11 IS NOW OVER!

Thanks. I love your Underground picks even though I agree that the movies are terrible, though I rented them on Netflix recently just to remind myself how bad they are. And the third installment where all the babies are sent to live on an island. And your Dr. Gillespie Saturday morning would have me there at the tube.

ILRM - love the singing credits, which I always find especially strange. And I just read a book with a chapter on Deanna Durbin's star trajectory --- the only films of hers I've seen are *100 Men and a Girl* and *Every Sunday,* making me eager to see the rest. You used so many favorites --- Jean Arthur, Carole Lombard, Powell & Loy.

Sugarpuss - I am often struck by the cranky Henry Morgan on the 50's game show reruns on GSN. I occasionally see Betsy Palmer at events --- I should ask her if he was really that irascible in real life.

Plus, good & evil lookalikes, always fun. For my part, although I generally am anti-TV, I'd welcome the TV *Marty* and *Requiem.* And you included my favorite Woody Allen movie, *The Purple Rose of Cairo!*

MattHelm - I too never knew there were silent Boston Blackies. I especially like the Asian Karloffs and the Bombas. And I'd enjoy the comparison of the Martin/Lewis remake period.

Excellent schedules!

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

>And I just read a book with a chapter on Deanna Durbin's star trajectory --- the only films of hers I've seen are *100 Men and a Girl* and *Every Sunday,* making me eager to see the rest...

Oh my goodness! I have seen all but one of her films, I believe. But, I first discovered her about ten years ago when I was six or seven. And back then she was my absolute favorite! And still is one of my favorites. I have her address and I have wanted to write to her for so long, but every letter I write I never mail because I always think it sounds stupid! But, I just wrote another one and now I just have to get an overseas stamp to mail it.

The films you saw are when she was just starting out. She was just great when she was older too! I think TCM is showing *"It's A Date"* this month for Kay Francis. You should catch it! It's when she was in her in between stage.

THe 1 Deanna Durbin film I have always wanted to see which is not avavilable on VHS & there are no DVD plans as far **** I can tell is: _Christmas Holiday_ from 1944! I love film noir, & & being a Gene Kelly fan, I would love to see him go baaaaad for once.

I have seen bits and pieces of the film (You Tube, bootlegs) and Deanna holds her own!

_*Per Wikipedia:*_

Gene Kelly and Deanna Durbin are cast against type in this sordid and dark film. Kelly, soon to become one of MGM's leading musical stars, plays a charming yet murderous cad, while Durbin, usually the girl next door in Universal musicals, plays a naif who falls for him and sticks with him even knowing he's a killer. Gale Sondergaard is wonderfully cast as Kelly's tyrannical mother. Music director Hans Salter earned an Academy Award nomination. Although the film was a box office success for Durbin, she was criticised for having tarnished her trademark persona playing a dance-hall "hostess" (aka a prostitute). "_Christmas Holiday_" is considered one of the bleakest noirs of the

ILRM --

I spoke too quickly, I forgot about *It's a Date,* which I have seen, and which I like, but which I just forgot. I know Deanna primarily from *Every Sunday,* since I am a HUGE Judy Garland fan.

As a Deanna fan, you might like the book I recently finished reading --- *The Star Machine* by Jeanine Basinger. The book looks at the way the studios created and molded stars during the studio era, and it is fascinating. Best of all, she specifically writes chapters about stars that we don't know as much about (Loretta Young, Irene Dunne, Errol Flynn, Deanna, etc.) instead of the usual Cary Grant/Marilyn Monroe/Katharine Hepburn crowd. And CelluloidKid, *Christmas Holiday* is roundly discussed.

Ms. Basinger is the head of film studies at Wesleyan University, and her writing style is great --- she's funny and irreverent at times, but she really loves film and knows it front-to-back.

ILRM, I seriously encourage you to write Deanna Durbin a letter to tell her how much you like her work. Even though she retired completely so long ago, I'm sure she would enjoy hearing this.

When I was 14 years old (in the mid-1970's) and lived in a small town in Georgia I read a newspaper article about Marlene Dietrich having a milestone birthday, and how she was a recluse in Paris who was unavailable in any way to the world. The article said she lived on Avenue Montaigne, and I actually sent her a gushing Happy Birthday fan letter addressed to "Marlene Dietrich, Avenue Montaigne, Paris, France." Three weeks later, I got a signed photo and a wonderful handwritten note. (I hadn't even requested a signed photo, I just wanted to tell her how much I loved *Shanghai Express* and *Destry Rides Again,* and Happy Birthday). How incredible is it that Marlene was such a legend that the French post office read that non-address and knew immediately where it should go? How unimaginable is it that MARLENE DIETRICH responded to me?

If you have Deanna Durbin's address, write her a note. Be sure you tell her how old you are. I promise you, she will be very, very happy to get that letter.

MattHelm -

God, how I've missed you.

Boris Karloff "with King-Fu Grip"

"Monogrammed Junglewear"

"It's Up To Your Knees Out There!"

Just wonderful!

I like your choosing to highlight Gershwin's Birthday and Peter Finch's as well. And thanks for the salute to F. Scott Fitzgerald. (During the Republican Convention in St. Paul, there were many television shots of a statue in a park near City Hall and I've often wondered if viewers knew who it was.)

And how old can one be to "get in free"? 'Cause I definitely want to be a kid again.

Well done, MattHelm. You've been away too long but you definitely haven't lost your touch.

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

"Ooohh, I had a little pony and his name was Chief.

But now he's on the menu as barbecued beef."

*F. McGee*

Thanks a lot Kyle.

I originally titled my Karloff theme after the Harvey Keitel Toby Wong, Toby Chung, Charlie Chan dialogue in Reservoir Dogs, but used the names of Karloff's characters in these movies in place of those . It went like, James Lee Wong, Wu Yen Fang, f-r-e-a-k-i-n Fu Manchu. Anyone who remembers the line from the movie would have got it. But the boards censored it for some reason, hence the hyphens. They even censored it from my notes where I made the Reservoir Dogs explanation. Oh well. If this message is missing a chunk you'll know it was censored also.

I think I'd use the Dean Martin version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" instead of Sinatra's.

Kids of all ages get in for free ... that is, if they pay their cable/satellite bill.

Can't wait to see your schedule.

*"(As a sidenote: Tap, tap, tap, Kyle and Lynn.)"* - filmlover

What? Are you auditioning to be the third Nicholas Brother? Or do you need a manicure?

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

"Ooohh, I had a Belgian Rabbit and I named him "Little Flair".

He was very introspective. What you'd call an ingrown hare."

*F. McGee*

No, that was in reference to a post I made a few days ago: "We're doing really great. Seven schedules so far and still almost two weeks left. (Of course, I am starting to tap my toe impatiently by now, hlywdkjk and lzcutter, wondering when you are going to get yours in.)

*(Of course, I am starting to tap my toe impatiently by now, hlywdkjk and lzcutter, wondering when you are going to get yours in.)>>*

Ahh, before the deadline. :)

You know me, I almost always come in at the last second.

I hope I'll be able to get my schedule in. I've got about six days' worth of stuff, although it's not all timed out. Sadly, though, I have to report for jury duty on Monday, and will be screwed if I actually have to serve for a trial. :-(

It's not like I'm going to get Jimmy Stewart talking about panties, either....

*...jury duty...*

Just show a lack of understanding of simple instructions and you'll be out on your ear. ;-) Despite the humiliation, and missing out on a Peeping Tom case, it got me out of one of my seven or eight calls to duty. I've lost count...

During the screening process, just keep saying "What?" "Huh?" And if they ask you if you're hard of hearing say that you've noticed that you've recently have been asking people to repeat themselves, but you haven't had your hearing tested yet. I did that and got out of it.

If they knew that I referred to Eliot Spitzer on my blog as "Governor Gantry", I'd probably be disqualified from any jury. ;-)

That, and my father spent a dozen years as a building code enforcement officer in a small town. From what I heard about his job, I've concluded that elected officials in small jurisdictions are almost all either corrupt, incompetent, or both. When I tell them that, it should get me off the jury, too.