Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

Does anyone remember this mini series?

I saw part of a mini series broadcast (or re-broadcast) sometime in the mid 90's that starred Hal Holbrook and Elizabeth Montgomery. It was a period piece about some small rural settlement in post revolutionary war 18th century America. I believe that Holbrook was an itinerant lawyer from the east who relunctantly (at first) marries Elizabeth Montgomery. He eventually grows to love her and they have many children as the community grows and he grows in prominance within it. After their next to last child Elizabeth is told by her doctor that another child will kill her. Lacking birth control, she is forced to deny the amorous advances of Hal, who eventually has an afair with the local school marm. Elizabeth finally gives in and becomes pregnant with ominous consequences. I wasn't able to see the whole series, and would like to if it is available somewhere, but I can't think of the name of it. The original show may have been produced sometime post Bewitched, possibly in the late 70's or in the 80's, since Elizabeth passed away in 1995.

Can anyone help me out with a title?

It was called *The Awakening Land* (1978) and was a 6 hour mini series. It took the young couple from their brief courtship through about 30 years as their family and the town grew and developed. It was extremely well done, the acting was all superb, and it held my interest throughout.Never having been a great fan of Elizabeth Montgomery, I did enjoy her work in this series. Hal Holbrook, of course, is always near perfect.

Anne

That's it!

"The Awakening Land"

Thank you so much Anne :)

Now, if I can only locate a copy of this series (to rent or buy) so I can watch it in it's entirety.

Thank you again for your wonderful memory!